Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #204992 11/05/14 07:23 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Anyone (parents or kids) participating in National Novel Writing Month?

This is my most hopeful attempt since having kids. I'm chugging away, trying to get a lead to see me through birthday parties, family visiting, and thanksgiving travels.

DD is trying to focus on her creative writing along with me, because one if her personal goals for the year is to "expand" her writing. She plotted out a whole story, with protagonist, conflict etc etc all detailed adorably, but as always her storytelling in her head is outpacing her ability to write/type. She's enjoying some writing activities in some great books she just got, though.

Right now I'm enjoying one of my traditions of NaNo, a stiff drink to celebrate the day's word count and goad me into writing another few hours after bedtime.

U
    U
    I wish DD could do this, but she has too much homework. frown

K
    K
    DD7 is participating this year, and so far has been doing well. She's not writing every day, but enough that she's making progress. We got a very late start, though, since it only occurred to me to tell her about it during the last week of October.

What sort of writing activities is your daughter using?

S
    S
    DS6 is participating and I am really pleased with his effort. He is excited about his story, talks about it throughout the day, and is ahead on his word count. I am trying it as well, kind of as a challenge from him, but I am not nearly as successful thus far. This is our first exposure to the program. DS did a fair amount of work in the workbook in October which was a fun way for him to propel his ideas forward. So far for us (or at least DS), it's a win. He's always been a strong and avid reader, but his main interests are math and science, so I am excited that he has taken on this project. We home school, so that makes it easier to incorporate writing time into the day.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    She received Rip the Page and Don't Forget to Write (part of her candy exchange!). She's been getting up early (time change!) and working through whatever part of Rip the Page catches her eye. Today we read some MCT and that lead to writing a poem. I find that a bit of inspiration/modeling really drives her to push herself in her writing.

K
    K
    My son (6 years, DYS) is working on a NaNoWriMo project. He's having a lot of fun with it!

K
    K
    Originally Posted by St. Margaret
    She received Rip the Page and Don't Forget to Write (part of her candy exchange!). She's been getting up early (time change!) and working through whatever part of Rip the Page catches her eye. Today we read some MCT and that lead to writing a poem. I find that a bit of inspiration/modeling really drives her to push herself in her writing.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of either of these books before. The first looks like something I could just hand to DD and let her explore. How about Don't Forget to Write?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent