Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #205169 11/07/14 10:38 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Has anyone's kids participated in MOEMS on an institute team? Our middle school does not have a MOEMS team but I got an invite for DS/DD to an institute team (for kids whose schools do not participate). There is a 4-6 and a 6-8 team and I was thinking if DS/DD participate, then perhaps DS in the 6-8 team and DD in the 4-6 team. Actually, has anyone's kids participated period? What are your thoughts?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    Has anyone's kids participated in MOEMS on an institute team? Our middle school does not have a MOEMS team but I got an invite for DS/DD to an institute team (for kids whose schools do not participate). There is a 4-6 and a 6-8 team and I was thinking if DS/DD participate, then perhaps DS in the 6-8 team and DD in the 4-6 team. Actually, has anyone's kids participated period? What are your thoughts?
    Yes, my older son participated through "The Math Club" http://www.themathclub.com/ and both boys are now doing so through the Russian School of Math . The contest problems are non-routine and I think worthwhile. There are E (though grade 6) and M (through grade 8) divisions. You can search MOEMS on Amazon to find books containing past contests.

Z
    Z
    DS8 has competed in the 4-6 MOEMS through a non-school based program. The problems are interesting and definitely create scenarios where rushing and following the wrong strategy leads you down the wrong path either to fail or simply run out of time.

The best value depends on the quality of feedback and practice within the group. This year I supplemented DS' once a month club with direct problem solving instruction myself, because their discussions were more surface solution oriented than problem-solving oriented.

His grade school is going to compete this year; so, he'll be out of that group there and maybe can help his school team. He may try the middle school non-school group because the level of discussion may fit him better.

A
    A
    MOEMS is a good competition (along with Mathcounts, AMC 8/10/12, Math Kangaroo). Go for it. 2 books contain all the original problems from dozens of years: see books 2 and 3 here:
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/contests.php?contest=moems .

Our school did not have MOEMS, so I started offering the program there. The gifted kids love it because it offers challenging problems that really make them think. It's also good preparation for MATHCOUNTS and the AMC 8.

I agree with Zen Scanner,
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    The best value depends on the quality of feedback and practice within the group.
    Just participating is a great experience, but participating in a great group really elevates the experience.

I have lots of samples of both E-level and M-level contests. If you'd like to take a look at them to decide which level to enlist your DCs in, PM me an e-mail address, and I'll send them to you.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I was able to pull a sample (2009) from the MOEMS site so got some idea of the problems although whether they are representative or not it's hard to say. Interesting, DS found all the M problems easy but actually had trouble with two of the E problems.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Actually, I haven't thought about that as my kids have never participated in the type of math club you are describing. I don't think there is a class/program attached to the tests so I am not sure that there will be any discussion.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks for the link. That's a convenient source if you wanted to prep or otherwise just look at the problems.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks - I may take you up on that. I am still waiting for more details at this point even though the first test is the Saturday after next for this team.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations