Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #205102 11/06/14 05:49 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    At the request of his teacher took ds to pediatrician. The teachers did a behavioural worksheet. Dr read the worksheet out loud then wrote a prescription for Ritalin never once asking him questions or me. I had to fight her to write a referral for ot. She didn't do any tests then when I asked about sensory issues she said its common for gifted kids and usually they have issues with taste and textures. I had to tell her he was gifted! Its written on my paperwork that she never read! So furious right now!

Cola #205106 11/06/14 06:06 PM
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    You have every right to be furious Cola. Being prescribed a dangerous drug without appropriate assessment, including a full history and examination is inappropriate and unprofessional, whatever the diagnosis. It is easy to see why ritalin scripts have soared when this sort of medicine is being practised. I am sure you know you need to see a different doctor and don't fill the script.

From the FDA prescribing guidelines for ritalin:
    http://www.drugs.com/pro/ritalin.html

Attention Deficit Disorders, Narcolepsy

Attention Deficit Disorders (previously known as Minimal Brain Dysfunction in Children). Other terms being used to describe the behavioral syndrome below include: Hyperkinetic Child Syndrome, Minimal Brain Damage, Minimal Cerebral Dysfunction, Minor Cerebral Dysfunction.

Ritalin is indicated as an integral part of a total treatment program which typically includes other remedial measures (psychological, educational, social) for a stabilizing effect in children with a behavioral syndrome characterized by the following group of developmentally inappropriate symptoms: moderate-to-severe distractibility, short attention span, hyperactivity, emotional lability, and impulsivity. The diagnosis of this syndrome should not be made with finality when these symptoms are only of comparatively recent origin. Nonlocalizing (soft) neurological signs, learning disability, and abnormal EEG may or may not be present, and a diagnosis of central nervous system dysfunction may or may not be warranted.

Special Diagnostic Considerations

Specific etiology of this syndrome is unknown, and there is no single diagnostic test. Adequate diagnosis requires the use not only of medical but of special psychological, educational, and social resources.

Characteristics commonly reported include: chronic history of short attention span, distractibility, emotional lability, impulsivity, and moderate-to-severe hyperactivity; minor neurological signs and abnormal EEG. Learning may or may not be impaired. The diagnosis must be based upon a complete history and evaluation of the child and not solely on the presence of 1 or more of these characteristics.

Drug treatment is not indicated for all children with this syndrome. Stimulants are not intended for use in the child who exhibits symptoms secondary to environmental factors and/or primary psychiatric disorders, including psychosis. Appropriate educational placement is essential and psychosocial intervention is generally necessary. When remedial measures alone are insufficient, the decision to prescribe stimulant medication will depend upon the physician’s assessment of the chronicity and severity of the child’s symptoms.

Did the doctor even listen to your child's heart or take a cardiac history to exclude abnormalities??
    Poor medical practice upsets me greatly.

Serious Cardiovascular Events

Sudden Death and Preexisting Structural Cardiac Abnormalities or Other Serious Heart Problems
    Children and Adolescents

Sudden death has been reported in association with CNS stimulant treatment at usual doses in children and adolescents with structural cardiac abnormalities or other serious heart problems. Although some serious heart problems alone carry an increased risk of sudden death, stimulant products generally should not be used in children or adolescents with known serious structural cardiac abnormalities, cardiomyopathy, serious heart rhythm abnormalities, or other serious cardiac problems that may place them at increased vulnerability to the sympathomimetic effects of a stimulant drug.

Cola #205107 11/06/14 06:14 PM
    22B Offline
    Report the doctor.

22B #205112 11/06/14 06:54 PM
    P
    P
    Don't use the medication unless a doctor that actually does his job properly prescribes it. And find another doctor pronto.

Cola #205113 11/06/14 06:56 PM
    B
    B
    Weird. I'm curious what dose Ritalin he prescribed?

With my kids we had school inventories but I had to fill one out as well and describe symptoms. The dr. was also watching the child during the appointment. With DS, the school psych had also done an observation and measured the amount of time he was on task, and I took all of that info to the doctor. We also had computerized ADHD testing from the neuropsych with borderline results (neuropsychs can't prescribe medication).

22B #205115 11/06/14 07:08 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Report the doctor.

My sentiments exactly.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Cola #205123 11/06/14 07:35 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    When parents ask me about ADHD and meds, I have actually taken to collecting, scoring, and interpreting checklists that MDs will be most likely to recognize (but are still valid!), and sending them to the parents as a packet to take to the doctor, just to make sure that there is as complete a set of observational data as possible, from multiple teachers and staff, and the parents. This after too many stories from parents along the lines of, "I asked my pediatrician if my child might have ADD/ADHD, so they wrote a prescription for Ritalin (or Adderall...) and said to try it and see if it made a difference."

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Cola #205128 11/06/14 07:59 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't believe its ADHD as my brother has been medicated for years for ADHD. But because there is a family history the teachers are to quick to recommend medication. In my opinion his issues could be sensory, environment, no stimulation, a number of other things. The Dr said according to the worksheet the teacher said he's fidgety. Yeah...because he sits at a desk all day with only one 15 minute recess. I would be fidgety too!

Cola #205130 11/06/14 08:27 PM
    B
    B
    A doctor should do more than read a report from the teacher and prescribe Ritalin. I've had both kids tested for ADHD at different points of their life, one was by a pediatrician who specializes in kids with ADHD and the other was tested by a psychologist as part of his full neropsc workup. While I didn't see the details of the second, I was in the room for the first and it was a quite extensive session between my DD and the doctor.

Cola #205133 11/06/14 08:53 PM
    C
    Cola Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I don't know what to do. I could spend a butt load of money to have ds evaluated by a professional but they want $2500. If I had that kind of money he would be in a private school lol. My gut feeling is telling me it isn't something that can be fixed with a pill or a quick and popular diagnosis.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM