Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Oh I forgot to mention. For the individual subscription to Destination Math, they don't include the assessment tools that a school (or big program like CTY or EPGY) would get.
    That's not a problem for me, especially for the price.
    And I did get it for DD6 because I think she needs a little more "jazzy" of a program to be engaged right now.
    I was also willing to try it because I was thinking it was the same as what CTY has or had used.
    Since math theory and elementary ed aren't my skill base, I tend to go with tried and tested. I'm thinking if Houghlin Mifflin purchased the company it should be okay.
    I'm not pursuing Everyday Math for the above reasons. It's too new and while the people behind it are seriously smart , I'm not sure I would be confident in reviewing it's effectiveness.
    I'd rather hear what the math gurus on the board think after they've tried it out.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Oh I forgot to mention. For the individual subscription to Destination Math, they don't include the assessment tools that a school (or big program like CTY or EPGY) would get.
    That's not a problem for me, especially for the price.

I'm relieved to see that you saw my post and that I did not lead you astray!

DS has said on occasion that everything he's learned he's learned on television. It's not that far from the truth. DM and HeyMath! will work for him for the same reason - they're entertaining.

No worries. grin

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I was also willing to try it because I was thinking it was the same as what CTY has or had used.

Neato, if it makes you feel any better, it appears it's true. Here's an excerpt from the DM Spain site (http://www.hmlt.hmco.com/Intl-Spain.php):

educaLine is the exclusive distributor of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Learning Technology�s education solutions in Spain...

The Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is an institution of Johns Hopkins University that seeks students of the highest academic ability through its talent search and offers them challenging educational opportunities that develop the intellect, encourage achievement, and nurture social development. educaLine works closely with CTY Espa�a to offer Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Learning Technology�s Destino Mat�matica as a distance learning opportunity for CTY students.

I finally had DS look at it the other day and he thought it was boring, too. It's a bit slow - but at least your children can skip over the things they know. I think the only real difference is that CTY gives quizzes, tests and a final exam, and provides written homework - and of course, the tutors. Even on EPGY, which is computer only through Stanford, CTY makes the kids take a written final exam.

S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by questions
    That said, we need to decide on what to use for 4th grade math. Probably Singapore Math and Hey Math! combined. (I have to update that post, too - they do have accelerated math available) I realized it was a mistake to allow DS to do math exclusively on the computer. He needs to write, too.

Hi, may I know which Spore Math are you using? How do you decide which level to start with for your DS8? Thanks! smile

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I'm not sure which we will use. We have 2 and 3 here, and his teacher has 4. He did EPGY Grade 3, but hasn't memorized the multiplication tables (well, he did, but has forgotten them). I hear Singapore Math has a lot of mental math, so I plan to go back through 2 and 3 and review what I think he doesn't know well before we go forward with 4.

I'm sure you've seen it, but here is their placement info: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm

There are free pre-tests on their website: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm .

Keep in mind that Singapore Math is 1/2 to 1 year ahead of typical American math. So a typical 3rd grader working at grade level starting the year now would start at 2A or 2B, depending. Obviously kids ahead of the curriculum would start at a higher level.

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I just looked at the placement tests. Seems the EPGY Accelerated Math sequence is in line with the Singapore US version - except for the mental math aspect. Some areas are ahead, some behind, but pretty much on par.

Sure! That makes sense, since EPGY is accelerated. Good tip! smile

Kriston
    S
    S-T Offline
    S
    Thks for the link, question & Kriston. We are from Singapore but have never used the books since my kids are in an American international school overseas now.

Last week, the sch psychologist tested DS8 with some year end grade7/8 math papers and according to him, DS8 did extremely well. (DS8 did the WISC-IV/ Stanford when he was 6yo but they were more for his "social problems".) This made me wonder what level he is at compared to the Singapore curriculum. The link is very helpful. I will have a look at the pre-tests first. smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM