Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: questions Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 05:40 PM
I've posted before that the same Elementary Problem Solving I and II courses available from JHU CTY for $640/3 months are available directly from the software company. Finally found the link: http://hmlt.hmco.com/DM-EM.php and the email:

Thank you for your inquiry and for choosing Riverdeep for your software needs.

You may phone our customer support group for assistance with your single subscription for Destination Math. Annual course licenses are $59.99/each course/year.

They may be reached at 800-825-4420
Hello, bargain shoppers!

ps - Hi, Ania - I know you'll stop by for a math post!
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 05:58 PM
Hi, Dottie,

They say that Destination Math is k-12 on the website. I just know that DS8 enjoyed the animated colorful Elementary Problem Solving I course and wants to take #2 instead of EPGY Accelerated Grade 4 math. I would guess that the algebra courses are what CTY uses also, as I've read that the algebra courses are "better" at CTY than EPGY. That probably means more engaging. But I have no clue.

That said, we need to decide on what to use for 4th grade math. Probably Singapore Math and Hey Math! combined. (I have to update that post, too - they do have accelerated math available) I realized it was a mistake to allow DS to do math exclusively on the computer. He needs to write, too.

Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 06:02 PM
Here's the link to the page with the gr 6-8 and 9-12 math:

http://hmlt.hmco.com/DM-AR.php
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 06:16 PM
Thanks, questions. My dd enjoyed problem solving I and II from JHU CTY. She loves Digit.

I will definitely look into the 6-8 and 9-12 math link.

By the way, my dd really loved the Life of Fred books for fractions, decimals and percentages. Someone else recommended them on this forum and we got them. The best books ever.

Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 06:42 PM
Thanks, Bianca. My guy enjoys all the books like that. We'll add it to our collection.
Posted By: Ania Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/17/08 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Questions
ps - Hi, Ania - I know you'll stop by for a math post!

smile I am so predictable, ha? smile
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/18/08 12:18 PM
I have since read that CTY uses Thinkwell for algebra, but I have no first hand information so ignore it all and do your own investigation. The elementary problem solving courses do look identical to the ones at CTY. Sorry for misinformation.
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 03:08 PM
Just got an email that this course will be available from www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.com.

Here's the link for the free demo: http://web.riverdeep.net/portal/page?_pageid=818,1381724,818_1381770&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Looks like the same price $59, but the co-op will offer 40% off on the second course.

I'll check to make sure it is the same course as CTY. Don't know for sure.

Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 03:10 PM
Destination Math Course II is Elementary Problem Solving I from CTY.
Posted By: LMom Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 03:53 PM
Thank you questions! Additional savings would be wonderful. I haven't seen the demos yet but if I like it I may get one for DS4 and one for DS5.

If I understand it correctly it's not yet available from the co-op. Any idea how long it will take before it becomes available for purchase?
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 03:58 PM
No, but Riverdeep had given me the exact same pricing when I contacted them directly. The only difference seems to be the 40% off the second course, which would help you. They also have Destination Reading, which I have not looked into.

The homeschoolbuyersco-op site seems to update things every week or so, so check back. Or join - it doesn't cost anything and they email with updates. We'll be doing CyberEd science through them, too (another huge savings - $32/year vs. $640/3 mos.).
Posted By: LMom Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 04:11 PM
I intend to join the co-op regardless. Every once in a while I follow a link and look what's available there.

Last weekend I checked again their CyberEd Earth & Space and I am 90% sure we are getting it for DS5 in fall. He hasn't seen the demo yet, that's where the 10% comes from. I looked at the demos many times before, the last time probably a few months ago. I always felt that it would be a wonderful source down the road but that he wasn't ready for it yet.

On Saturday I checked the Earth & Space again and it seemed like a perfect match for DS5 (he will be 6 in summer). I find it really interesting how much my perspective has changed in just a few months. It may have to do with the fact that both boys got into Earth Science in spring.

Which one of the CyberEd classes are you getting? It makes me slightly nervous that they say the Earth & Space it's for gt 5th graders and here I am thinking that 1st grader would love it and learn a lot from it. If we DS5 is in good mood today I may have him check it out and see what he thinks.

Did you get anywhere with the HeyMath! ?
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 04:22 PM
We signed up for both earth and space, and life science. CTY requires 5th grade math, but I'm not sure that's a real course requirement. My guy was 7 and in the midst of third grade math when he tried it. He likes it (and I saw no math so far). If your DS is interested in the subject matter, I expect he'll be fine. I had DS do the demos first - basically, the first lesson, application and test. He enjoyed it and wanted to continue, but he loves science more than any subject.
Posted By: LMom Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/21/08 04:36 PM
Thanks again. You are my source of good educational programs smile I think DS5 will enjoy this particular subject. He does 4th grade math but from what I've seen in the demo there was no math besides big numbers and perhaps %. It's definitely worth trying for this price.

There are days when I am glad we will be hs and DS will have lots of time to do programs like that.

I need to look at the Houghton Math and Reading demo today and see what's that about. The price sounds awesome especially the 40% of additional savings.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 03:11 PM
Update on Destination Math:

I contacted Houghton Mifflin yesterday. Riverdeep has been purchased by them and they are no longer honoring the 30 day free trial.
Unmotivated DD6 is half way through 2nd grade math but isn't so interested in doing anything except playing.
We are giving DM II a try which is supposed to be grades 2 through 3.
The only problem I can see is you purchase a year of access for $59.99(that's $60 to you and me! wink ) and you can't adjust up to III when your child is ready like Alek's.
That said, I am getting ready to purchase it today. I think I've probably spend $60 in makeup at Macy's on one visit, I guess $60 is not a bad gamble. If she's done shortly, but liked it, it will be worth the price.
I'm thinking of supplementing with Singapore, though.

Here's the link the rep gave me over the phone:

http://hmlt.hmco.com/DM-PT.php
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 04:39 PM
Hi, Neato,

That's weird, because I can access the demos. I must have activated the 30 day trial earlier without knowing it.

Also, I'm not positive it's exactly the same as CTY, but the characters, layout and voices are. I'd have to have DS look at it. The other thing is that CTY has quizzes and exams and optional homework for the course you're considering. Not sure DM has that - then again, for an 8000% discount, you can't expect everything.
Posted By: LMom Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 04:48 PM
I can access the demo too, not sure for how long though.

I checked it really fast yesterday and I wasn't too thrilled about it. I will look at it more today and also get the full trial for HeyMath!
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 04:59 PM
Hey, LMom,

Haven't had the time to follow up on HeyMath! I emailed them and they asked me to call them to discuss it, but they also have an advanced math course. Can't recall, but look on the site. It was something like PM or PEM.

The Destination Math is perfect for DS8 - visual and fun. He does best with work that doesn't look like work. Your DS might like the EPGY courses - you can check them either on the CTY site or the EPGY site. I think the EPGY site has actual demos you can see. The course was fine - but too dry for a visual-spatial type learner. If he didn't object so much to it, I would have continued b/c that way I'd know where he was on the progression.
Posted By: LMom Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 07:31 PM
To be honest I don't want to pay for math EPGY. I can teach him math including the college level but it would be nice to have a cheap math software to play with. KWIM? EPGY may be too dry and boring for him anyway. DS5 may end up liking the Destination Math, he hasn't seen it yet. It was me who wasn't overly impressed yesterday.
Posted By: Val Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by LMom
To be honest I don't want to pay for math EPGY. I can teach him math including the college level but it would be nice to have a cheap math software to play with. KWIM? EPGY may be too dry and boring for him anyway. DS5 may end up liking the Destination Math, he hasn't seen it yet. It was me who wasn't overly impressed yesterday.

How many people just write up explanations and do the teaching themselves? I do this with maths and reading.

While have various books (incl. Painless Algebra and the grade-level workbooks from the bookstores), I prefer to write up explanations for a math topic, paste them into DS8's Math Notebook, and then make up problems. Sometimes I get him do problems in the workbooks. My husband enjoys teaching him a lot of mental mathematics stuff we've been discussing on Conceptual Mathematics.

Also, my DD3 adores workbooks. I just found a big one from Learning Horizons called "Math" for ages 5-8. The series is "Learn Every Day."

It starts with counting objects/circling the corresponding numeral and ends with addition/subtraction with regrouping, measuring things, and basic multiplication. It has lots of color everywhere and is great for little kids.

Val

Posted By: incogneato Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 08:41 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. For the individual subscription to Destination Math, they don't include the assessment tools that a school (or big program like CTY or EPGY) would get.
That's not a problem for me, especially for the price.
And I did get it for DD6 because I think she needs a little more "jazzy" of a program to be engaged right now.
I was also willing to try it because I was thinking it was the same as what CTY has or had used.
Since math theory and elementary ed aren't my skill base, I tend to go with tried and tested. I'm thinking if Houghlin Mifflin purchased the company it should be okay.
I'm not pursuing Everyday Math for the above reasons. It's too new and while the people behind it are seriously smart , I'm not sure I would be confident in reviewing it's effectiveness.
I'd rather hear what the math gurus on the board think after they've tried it out.
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 08:45 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. For the individual subscription to Destination Math, they don't include the assessment tools that a school (or big program like CTY or EPGY) would get.
That's not a problem for me, especially for the price.

I'm relieved to see that you saw my post and that I did not lead you astray!

DS has said on occasion that everything he's learned he's learned on television. It's not that far from the truth. DM and HeyMath! will work for him for the same reason - they're entertaining.

Posted By: incogneato Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 07/22/08 08:47 PM
No worries. grin
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 03:31 AM
I was also willing to try it because I was thinking it was the same as what CTY has or had used.

Neato, if it makes you feel any better, it appears it's true. Here's an excerpt from the DM Spain site (http://www.hmlt.hmco.com/Intl-Spain.php):

educaLine is the exclusive distributor of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Learning Technology�s education solutions in Spain...

The Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is an institution of Johns Hopkins University that seeks students of the highest academic ability through its talent search and offers them challenging educational opportunities that develop the intellect, encourage achievement, and nurture social development. educaLine works closely with CTY Espa�a to offer Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Learning Technology�s Destino Mat�matica as a distance learning opportunity for CTY students.

I finally had DS look at it the other day and he thought it was boring, too. It's a bit slow - but at least your children can skip over the things they know. I think the only real difference is that CTY gives quizzes, tests and a final exam, and provides written homework - and of course, the tutors. Even on EPGY, which is computer only through Stanford, CTY makes the kids take a written final exam.

Posted By: S-T Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by questions
That said, we need to decide on what to use for 4th grade math. Probably Singapore Math and Hey Math! combined. (I have to update that post, too - they do have accelerated math available) I realized it was a mistake to allow DS to do math exclusively on the computer. He needs to write, too.

Hi, may I know which Spore Math are you using? How do you decide which level to start with for your DS8? Thanks! smile
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 01:43 PM
I'm not sure which we will use. We have 2 and 3 here, and his teacher has 4. He did EPGY Grade 3, but hasn't memorized the multiplication tables (well, he did, but has forgotten them). I hear Singapore Math has a lot of mental math, so I plan to go back through 2 and 3 and review what I think he doesn't know well before we go forward with 4.

I'm sure you've seen it, but here is their placement info: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm
Posted By: Kriston Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 01:45 PM
There are free pre-tests on their website: http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_s/12.htm .

Keep in mind that Singapore Math is 1/2 to 1 year ahead of typical American math. So a typical 3rd grader working at grade level starting the year now would start at 2A or 2B, depending. Obviously kids ahead of the curriculum would start at a higher level.
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 01:48 PM
I just looked at the placement tests. Seems the EPGY Accelerated Math sequence is in line with the Singapore US version - except for the mental math aspect. Some areas are ahead, some behind, but pretty much on par.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 08/31/08 04:28 PM
Sure! That makes sense, since EPGY is accelerated. Good tip! smile
Posted By: S-T Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 09/01/08 02:08 AM
Thks for the link, question & Kriston. We are from Singapore but have never used the books since my kids are in an American international school overseas now.

Last week, the sch psychologist tested DS8 with some year end grade7/8 math papers and according to him, DS8 did extremely well. (DS8 did the WISC-IV/ Stanford when he was 6yo but they were more for his "social problems".) This made me wonder what level he is at compared to the Singapore curriculum. The link is very helpful. I will have a look at the pre-tests first. smile
Posted By: questions Re: Houghton Mifflin Math - 09/01/08 03:31 AM
I believe EPGY has an online placement test. Since your DS8 is so advanced, maybe you'd want to look there, too. https://epgy.stanford.edu/overview/index.html EPGY or CTY might also help with the Singpare/US math issue.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum