Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #203464 10/15/14 12:53 PM
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DYS DD9's CCSS-aligned EM class appears to be moving slowly. DD says it is all review. Her MAP test scores suggest she is ready for algebra and geometry, but she is also a really good test taker, so I am trying to keep my expectations reasonable. How reasonable is it to try to do an AoPS class IN ADDITION to full-time school? How many hours per week would the class probably involve (class + work involved)? Could she do it on her own in case we have busier weeks? Typically, she is not excited to do more math because of all of the homework she already gets. I really was hoping that we wouldn't need to "afterschool" this year, but DD seems "stuck" right now (sigh). Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by Loy58; 10/16/14 01:25 PM. Reason: update
    22B Offline
    AoPS subject classes supposedly take several hours per week. Perhaps EPGY math K-7 would be a lighter alternative (now costs $60/quarter independently). It doesn't have the tough problem solving of AoPS, but you can still be sure the topics are covered properly, and you can move through it quickly.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    How many hours per week would the class probably be?

The class itself is 1.5 h/week.

Are you asking about the homework? It is difficult to say. May be 5-7 h or sometimes 10 h and up (per chapter, which is roughly the same as the week of class, 12 chapters = 16 weeks). It could depend on the topic.

You could get the books now and try. The class starts Oct 17th, and may be cancelled before the 3rd class (which would be in 2 weeks), for full refund. So no harm in registering.

The next class after that starts Feb 9th.

If somebody can help your DD locally, you might not need the class.

ETA: DS had EPGY Math K-7 before AOPS prealgebra (by book).

B
    B
    We're working our way through the AoPS pre-algebra textbook and videos rather than online class. Here's my thoughts:

Pros:
    1. We go at our own pace about 10-15 minutes per day. Sure its slower than the online class but that mitigates burnout, still adds steady exposure to new material, and I don't see much need yet to compact super aggressively when already multiple years ahead.

2. The problem set is really well done. Don't skip the challenge problems. There aren't really any repeats.

Cons:
    1. Initial shock of harder problems that may not all be immediately solvable doesn't work for everyone.

2. Inverted presentation of material which is done through a series of problems and discovery also may not suit your learning style.

3. Much more hands on for the parent but again in small increments which make it quite manageable.

22B Offline
    What level is your DD9 at now, officially at the school, and unofficially (but actually) at home?

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DD is in what is basically 4th grade G&T math at school. She does EPGY when she feels like it and skips between the regular and Prealgebra settings (we subscribed before the change-over). She isn't loving EPGY since the switch, and I probably will not renew. She also does IXL, and skips around between grades. So she tests high, but it is a little tricky to "level" her outside of school (which is why I've been looking to her test scores).

I ordered the books, and I think we might try working through a bit at home and see where that takes us. Thanks!

Last edited by Loy58; 10/15/14 02:02 PM.
    M
    M
    My ds went through AoPS book in 4th grade. You have to get their buy in upfront BenjaminL gives the reasons why. The first chapter treats the kids with respect (IMO) and shows them some quick tricks to get them to believe in themselves.

And like said above, Don't skip the challenge problems.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    DD is in what is basically 4th grade G&T math at school. She does EPGY when she feels like it and skips between the regular and Prealgebra settings (we subscribed before the change-over). She isn't loving EPGY since the switch, and I probably will not renew. She also does IXL, and skips around between grades. So she tests high, but it is a little tricky to "level" her outside of school (which is why I've been looking to her test scores).

I ordered the books, and I think we might try working through a bit at home and see where that takes us. Thanks!

The jumping around makes it difficult to see where your DD9 is really at. Even if it's not the most fun in the world, can she just work through to the end of EPGY K-7 math before the (10 month?) subscription expires? At least then you can be confident that there's a gap-free coverage up to and including prealgebra. Then you've got a solid case (to take to the school for next school year) that she's ready for algebra after that.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    22B, yes, tricky indeed. Even if she would sit down and methodically complete K-7 (she is not showing signs of doing that), I don't know that the school would do that anyway. CCSS has really changed the math program here as of this year (especially the G&T classes), and since the G&T classes in higher grades have had a different curriculum than DD will now have, I think that makes skipping/accelerating into them even trickier. It is simply not a great situation.

Of course, it doesn't help that DD has never seemed to be a "sequential learner" anyway. crazy

Last edited by Loy58; 10/15/14 03:16 PM. Reason: added
    B
    B
    Alcumus + videos is another option for a taste of AoPS without using the book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM