Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #203311 10/13/14 08:44 PM
    C
    Chana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    My DD11 homeschools and I want her to do a larger science project. She is very good at science but this being her first year homeschooling, we are just getting into the chemistry and physics sciences that she likes. Her school seemed to spend a lot more time on animals and trees etc. I want her to do a science project that she comes up with but I don't know how to guide her into exploring topics in a way that will lead her to choose a project that she can actually do. Does anyone have a recommended resource that is not simply just telling a kid exactly an experiment to do. Thanks

Chana #203312 10/13/14 09:09 PM
    Z
    Z
    I don't have a specific resource, but science begins with a question. If she accumulates questions, then she can screen them to decide the best way to answer them. "I wonder...", "What if..." and "What would happen..." are the sorts of questions that can lead to experiments. From there it's brainstorming the shape of experiments needed, then picking the right scale experiment matched with the most passion.

Chana #203314 10/13/14 10:34 PM
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    My DD loves looking at science experiments on you tube. Even though you want your DD to come up with some ideas of her own, we found looking at lots of experiments from other people helped spur ideas. It also showed her what was possible and how to tackle an experiment.

Once your daughter starts to get some ideas about the types of questions she wants to ask, as Zen Scanner suggests, she can jot ideas in a journal and do a little research on them.

I think it's a lot easier to look at what others have done and come up with new questions that just start cold with a brand new idea. Once she learns how the process of science questioning works then the novel will follow.

Last edited by ndw; 10/13/14 10:35 PM.
    Chana #203318 10/14/14 03:06 AM
    C
    C
    I loved watching some story about a kid wondering if solar panels were arranged more like leaves on a tree they would gather more sun...a mix of nature and technology. I wonder how kids come up with this stuff. He said he came up with it on a hike. This isn't the original story I saw on this kid but you get the idea of his project.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/18/meet-a-13-year-old-solar-panel-developer/

Chana #203326 10/14/14 06:18 AM
    M
    M
    my ds 11 keeps trying to improve his Anaerobic Digestion projects. He has done a few other projects but he keeps coming back to this. Its a mess but I like that he keep trying to improve on his building observations.

Chana #203350 10/14/14 09:25 AM
    I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Google "science fair projects." There are a number of great sites that group project ideas by grade level (for you, that's skill and interest level) and area of interest. These are great because, unlike science demos, they are based on a question and a hypothesis. They'll also list the difficulty of the experimental process and the equipment needed.

You can follow a listed experiment or use it as a jumping off point for crafting your own.

Chana #203356 10/14/14 09:51 AM
    P
    P
    Great ideas here! Just a quick added thought to expand, particularly on ZenScanner. Since you are teaching chem and physics at home, I imagine there will be lots of "why" and "how does" questions coming up throughout lessons. It might help to have a specific spot where you consistently capture them, and then after a while you can look for themes that might drive some hypotheses. Then you have something more specific to google for particular experiments.

For a bit of a different approach to finding inspiration, it might be fun to look at some of the crowd-funding science projects, (like scistarter.com/finder) and games (Google something like "crowd source science games" and you'll start with a huge list on Wikipedia, or there's a couple of cool ones described at scienceadvice.ca/en/feature/past-features.aspx?id=100&utm_source=Council+E-News+Winter+2014+English&utm_campaign=English+E-News+-+winter+2014&utm_medium=email).

Curiosity also led me to mooch around Coursera one day (www.coursera.org), where I immediately found a 6 lecture mini physics course on origins of the universe that I think DS10 would love. A little over his head, but seemed to be structured in a way that you can fully wallow in the ideas while taking the math as far as you are able. Could be a fun way to play with some advanced science in an area of particular interest, with no commitment or fuss about the level of instruction being too high.

Love to hear later what kinds of ideas end up capturing her imagination! Times like this I wish we were homeschooling too, and could really dive into these kins of things.

Chana #203359 10/14/14 09:57 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Kitchen chemistry. Look for editions of "Science Experiments You Can Eat" and the like.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Chana #204597 10/30/14 05:12 PM
    C
    Chana Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Hey everyone, I got really busy and haven't been able to check the replies but thanks for all the great ideas. She is doing about 2 experiments per week in her science curriculum but she has only done a few of the Physics and Chemistry type of Science that she really likes. I will block off some time for her to explore. I like the kitchen idea because she likes to cook.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent