Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I keep hearing the words "gifted magnets" while referring to public schools. There is no such thing where I live (in Northern California) - we have "alternative program" schools which tend to be more academically focused and entry is based on lotteries rather than giftedness.
    I keep thinking that living in an area with a "gifted magnet" school would be great. So, where in the US are these schools located? (of course, I know about the Davidson Institute). Does any parent on this forum send their kids to these schools?

22B Offline
    There's really no connection between the terms "gifted" and "magnet". They are two completely different things.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I keep hearing the words "gifted magnets" while referring to public schools. There is no such thing where I live (in Northern California) - we have "alternative program" schools which tend to be more academically focused and entry is based on lotteries rather than giftedness.
    I keep thinking that living in an area with a "gifted magnet" school would be great.
    There is a list of "exam schools" at http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...-fared-in-the-best-high-schools-rankings . Some schools not on that list that come to mind are Stuyvesant and the Bronx High School of Science. Some private schools such as Phillips Exeter are free for low-income students who get in. There is a strong correlation between IQ and academic achievement, and there are many more schools that screen for achievement than will explicitly say they are screening for IQ.

C
    C
    There is this one in Dallas - it is a public school:

http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_14224.aspx

If you go to this link and look for "Public" there is a bunch of stuff:
    http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_by_topic_resources.aspx

Last edited by cmguy; 10/07/14 12:54 PM.
    Z
    Z
    Charlotte, North Carolina; they are magnet programs with the requirement of gifted certification to attend. After qualifying, the magnets still have lotteries as some schools are more popular than others, but the district seems willing expand to fit demand. There are six elementaries with partial gifted magnets and one highly gifted partial magnet. There are two gifted charter schools in the area also.

Val Offline
    I'm in northern California, too. There's a gifted magnet called North Star Academy in Redwood City. Its website is thin on details. A review on greatschools.org damned it with faint praise by noting that "the kids have to test in, which weeds out low performers."

I knew someone whose son attended. Lots of homework, and (at the time, a few years ago), and attitude that "they're all the same until after third grade, anyway" when speaking of giftedness and gifted kids.

E
    E
    My school district has a clustered gifted program (it's not called a magnet) for highly gifted students. I think that Seattle and Lake Washington also have similar programs, but I don't know much about them.

P
    P
    Magnet schools can cater to particular population (low income, minority, etc..) and gifted students too. Some big cities have public school with magnet program for gifties.

Dallas- School for gifted and Talented and and a dozen more schools
    Austin- LASA for High School and 2 middle schools
    Houston- Carnigie Vanguard and a few others
    http://www.houstonisd.org/Page/75080

And a few more here
    http://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/national-rankings/magnet-school-rankings

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    There's really no connection between the terms "gifted" and "magnet". They are two completely different things.
    Traditionally, the primary purpose of "magnet" schools has been to manipulate racial statistics.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Traditionally, the primary purpose of "magnet" schools has been to manipulate racial statistics.
    Let's not single out magnet schools unfairly. In some places, neighborhood schools are not much different. A primary purpose of residential zoning laws, in my town and others with expensive housing, is to keep out low-income people, which certainly affects the "racial statistics".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM