Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I want to sign my 10-year-old son up for the Explore this year. He has dyslexia. He took the Explore last year, and did pretty well, but I would like him to have the chance to take it with accommodations. I applied for accommodations last year, but was turned down. I provided the full 30 page report from his testing, which clearly and extensively documented the dyslexia and the dysgraphia. We homeschool, in part because of the dyslexia, but I was therefore unable to provide any documentation from school about an IEP, etc. I was told we were ineligible for accommodations because his achievement scores were in the average range or better.

Does anyone have experience with successfully applying for accommodations for the Explore? What else could I do?

Thanks in advance.

N
    N
    Explore is the ACT folks. I hear that it is tougher to get accommodations on the ACT than the SAT. Maybe there are homeschooling parents who have managed to get accommodations who can comment? Also, the ACT folks may not really care about a kid taking an above level test - they might be more willing to provide accommodations when he is at grade level (8th for Explore, HS for ACT).

A
    aeh Online Content
    Online Content
    A
    No. But we frequently apply for accommodations for our students for the ACT. Our experience has been that ACT is unlikely to approve accommodations for a child whose documented skill deficit is at least average, even when the accommodations are on the IEP. What accommodations were you seeking?

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    gabalyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    G
    I was hoping for time and a half. The need for speed just undoes him.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I was able to get time and a half for my son on the ACT. He was officially homeschooled at the time but had a history of having accommodations at various schools. For example, he was enrolled in a program for homeschoolers a the local public school and had a 504 there (that I got specifically so I could say he had a 504 when requesting SAT/ACT accommodations--in fact we enrolled him in the program for the same reason). He also attended a private school for a year and had an "accommodations plan" and was at the time I applied, dual enrolled at a community college where they gave him accommodations as well. I put all of that information in with the request.

We also had him evaluated when he was in 9th grade by a person with extensive experience with getting ACT/SAT accommodations for 2E kids. So, while the achievement scores on that test were average or better (sometime a lot better), the report explained about the discrepancy between his IQ and achievement. They also gave at least one test timed and with extended time to show the extreme difference in the scores.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I should mention that when when my son (mentioned in my above post) took the PLAN, he was allowed to use whatever accommodations he was getting at school (he happened to be enrolled in a private school at the time). The accommodations did not need to be approved by the ACT people. I'm guessing that it is the same with the EXPLORE. So you would need to get the accommodations approved by whoever is administering the testing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent