Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Online classes really do work
    But after thorough before-and-after testing of students taking the MITx physics class 8.MReVx (Mechanics Review) online, and similar testing of those taking the same class in its traditional form, Pritchard and his team found quite the contrary: The study showed that in the MITx course, “the amount learned is somewhat greater than in the traditional lecture-based course,” Pritchard says.

A second, more surprising finding, he says, is that those who were least prepared, as shown by their scores on pretests, “learn as well as everybody else.” That is, the amount of improvement seen “is no different for skillful people in the class” — including experienced physics teachers — “or students who were badly prepared. They all showed the same level of increase,” the study found.
    Since this is a regular topic of debate around here, I thought you guys would find this interesting.

I do find it interesting.

The one type of class in which students learned even more effectively than in either online or traditional classes, the study found, was an approach called “interactive engagement pedagogy,” where students interact frequently in small groups to grapple with concepts and questions. Such “constructive engagement” in the classroom is something education reformers have long pushed for, Pritchard says, and is already used in many MIT classes.

Well, yes-- but that's something that I think MANY people have stated previously-- "traditional" coursework in the sciences pretty much hasn't existed in a way that DOESN'T include such interactive engagement for at least 20 years.

Most of the educators that I know already know that this is what works well, and they tend to promote more of it, usually at the expense of things that they know do NOT work so well (listening to droning lectures or passively watching things happen, mindlessly cranking through repetitive formulaic homework problems one after another, etc).

I think that this is a bit of a straw man, however-- from what I've been able to tell, relatively FEW MOOCS get this one right. It's a matter of scaling, just as it is in large institutions already.

I'm disappointed that there isn't more discussion of what "equal" gains means in this context-- there are hints that this might be some sort of absolute scale, and not a percentile/percentage, but it piqued my interest.

This is the real news:

Fiona Hollands, a senior researcher at Teachers College of Columbia University who was not involved in this study, says, “In my opinion, this study represents the most rigorous attempt to date to measure learning in a MOOC. This study provides an excellent demonstration of how learning in a MOOC, or in other types of courses, can be rigorously assessed. Applied to a broader population of students and a variety of educational settings, such investigations would provide valuable information about the relative effectiveness of different forms of educational delivery.”

Agreed. And really-- kudos to the study authors for working out HOW to monitor what works and doesn't, and to start using the power of the data generated in this format for figuring those things out.

smile

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/24/14 06:22 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    I found "All cohorts learn equally," as intuitively plausible as "people of different heights grow at the same rate".

M
    M
    I don't have time to read the whole article but the first question that sprang to my mind was - how much is this effected by who chooses to learn via MOOCs? I do so much better on my own with good quality materials to learn from than in a group or classroom, the idea of having to learn in a classroom or group is what prevents me from even considering doing further education classes. Many people are the opposite, some are in between...

P
    P
    Well my first and second year classes had several hundred people in the lecture theatre and no interaction. With the MOOCS you can generally replay if you missed something.

W
    W
    I wish Heat, Mass & Momentum had been taught this way when I had to take it.

Originally Posted by 22B
    I found "All cohorts learn equally," as intuitively plausible as "people of different heights grow at the same rate".
    I think this is an important point of this study because one possible criticism of MOOCs is that they might only work for people who are already very high functioning and good at figuring stuff out themselves, and people who are more apt to struggle might be left completely in the dust (more so than in a live-contact situation). So the fact that this was not true is interesting.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I think this is an important point of this study because one possible criticism of MOOCs is that they might only work for people who are already very high functioning and good at figuring stuff out themselves, and people who are more apt to struggle might be left completely in the dust (more so than in a live-contact situation). So the fact that this was not true is interesting.

Two questions arise:

(1) To what extent is this true?
    For example a first year undergraduate physics course won't teach much to average 3 year olds or to physics Nobel prize winners. There's a limit to the range of audience that can effectively be reached.

(2) To what extent does this even need to be true?
    As has always been true, you can have different classes for different levels of ability, preparation, and so on. There's no need to even attempt to make one size fit all, as that will inevitably lead to detrimental compromises. You just need one size to fit a reasonable range. With a menu of courses (MOOCs or otherwise) you just want people to be able to select what fits them.

B
    B
    Advances in technology have enabled MOOCs possible but can also change how live classes can be taught, as discussed in this article about a Harvard physics professor's use of "peer instruction".

Twilight of the Lecture
    by Craig Lambert
    Harvard Magazine
    March-April 2012

Mazur’s reinvention of the course drops the lecture model and deeply engages students in the learning/teaching endeavor. It starts from his view of education as a two-step process: information transfer, and then making sense of and assimilating that information. “In the standard approach, the emphasis in class is on the first, and the second is left to the student on his or her own, outside of the classroom,” he says. “If you think about this rationally, you have to flip that, and put the first one outside the classroom, and the second inside. So I began to ask my students to read my lecture notes before class, and then tell me what questions they have [ordinarily, using the course’s website], and when we meet, we discuss those questions.”

Thus Mazur begins a class with a student-sourced question, then asks students to think the problem through and commit to an answer, which each records using a handheld device (smartphones work fine), and which a central computer statistically compiles, without displaying the overall tally. If between 30 and 70 percent of the class gets the correct answer (Mazur seeks controversy), he moves on to peer instruction. Students find a neighbor with a different answer and make a case for their own response. Each tries to convince the other. During the ensuing chaos, Mazur circulates through the room, eavesdropping on the conversations. He listens especially to incorrect reasoning, so “I can re-sensitize myself to the difficulties beginning learners face.” After two or three minutes, the students vote again, and typically the percentage of correct answers dramatically improves. Then the cycle repeats.
    Back in 2009, the NYT said that at At M.I.T., Large Lectures Are Going the Way of the Blackboard:

At M.I.T., two introductory courses are still required — classical mechanics and electromagnetism — but today they meet in high-tech classrooms, where about 80 students sit at 13 round tables equipped with networked computers.

Instead of blackboards, the walls are covered with white boards and huge display screens. Circulating with a team of teaching assistants, the professor makes brief presentations of general principles and engages the students as they work out related concepts in small groups.

Teachers and students conduct experiments together. The room buzzes. Conferring with tablemates, calling out questions and jumping up to write formulas on the white boards are all encouraged.

“There was a long tradition that what it meant to teach was to give a really well-prepared lecture,” said Peter Dourmashkin, a senior lecturer in physics at M.I.T. and a strong proponent of the new method. “It was the students’ job to figure it out.”

The problem, say Dr. Dourmashkin and others in the department, is that a lot of students had trouble doing that. The failure rate for those lecture courses, even those taught by the most mesmerizing teachers, was typically 10 percent to 12 percent. Now, it has dropped to 4 percent.

OTOH, I've seen an interesting argument that

Lectures are an effective teaching method because they exploit human evolved 'human nature'

I'd like to make a comment about college admissions. If a university moves to "peer instruction", it may want to admit not just the smartest students who have learned the most in high school but those who can best participate in interactive classrooms and collaborate with students outside of class. I do wonder if holistic admissions in practice selects such students better than a mechanical process would.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent