Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Has anyone been able to get the ability to adjust their child's account settings at giftedandtalented.com? I'm referring to the ability SSAs had in EPGY like scheduling placement exams, changing the curriculum from reinforcement to gifted, changing the grade level, adjusting the number of review exercises, adjusting session time, etc.

22B I know you were looking into this; can you give us an update?

22B Offline
    As far as I can tell, there is no ability for parents to adjust anything at all. All you can do in the parent account is view progress (which you can do in student accounts anyway).

ETA: Maybe put (=EPGY) in your thread title (by editing) for people who might not recognize giftedandtalented.com as the new name for EPGY.

Last edited by 22B; 09/25/14 08:32 AM.
    OP Offline
    Thanks 22B. EPGY said back in June that SSAs would be able to restart groups in the fall if they wanted, but I've not heard anything since. I knew you were SSA for your own DCs, and I thought you might have heard whether or not those controls even still exist. My DD is almost done with algebra, so I haven't looked into it; we'll be starting AoPS soon.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Portia
    Hmmm - are you no longer a SSA?
    There's no such thing.

OP Offline

Hmmm - are you no longer a SSA?

No, I’m not an SSA anymore. On July 29, I got an e-mail saying group functionality would end the next day. It also said SSAs would be replaced by parent advocates when group functionality was re-established in early fall. We were asked to respond if we wanted to keep our groups going. I replied that I would leave it up to the group members. If they wanted to continue the group, I would continue to be SSA or pass the role along to another parent in the group with a younger child since my DD was going to be starting algebra. Since SSAs had no contact information for group members, EPGY would have to contact the members of my group to find out. I never heard back from them. I haven’t seen anything about groups on the giftedandtalented.com website. Perhaps they didn’t get enough of a response to keep groups going, or perhaps they decided to stick with only individual accounts and abandoned groups altogether.

I was hoping someone on here might know whether it was still possible to have individual student settings adjusted, perhaps by contacting giftedandtalented.com. It may not be possible to adjust those settings anymore.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by ohmathmom
    I was hoping someone on here might know whether it was still possible to have individual student settings adjusted, perhaps by contacting giftedandtalented.com. It may not be possible to adjust those settings anymore.
    I think you can contact them and make a request, but you have to type a message to explain what you want, and hope they make the right change, or hope they do anything at all, and you might not know if or when they made the change (like requesting some future test). It's not really practical.

22B Offline
    That is very interesting as I was not contacted about an option to stay with a group or go it on my own. I am curious about the settings though. I wonder if they migrated the "gifted" setting. It seems we have been on this particular grade level for a really long time.
    How many questions per topic are you getting. For the "gifted" setting it should usually be 4 questions. I believe all previous settings did migrate to the new setup.

To get this info (#questions/topic), click on a subject name (not on "Run Course"), then "Reports" then "Concepts Summary".

OP Offline
    I was trying to find out if learning groups would be added to giftedandtalented.com, and I came across this ad for an Advocate Marketing Manager. The description says, “This role, working closely with others on marketing and support teams, will engage parents and community advocates to drive increased customer acquisition, loyalty and retention. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following: Developing comprehensive and aligned strategic marketing efforts to leverage active parents as a primary channel for consumer revenue expansion.”

I certainly wouldn’t want to be a parent advocate so I could be leveraged to increase revenue.

22B Offline
    Ugh, that sounds quite slimy.

A
    A
    Your posts about our advocate program and the role of our SSA's, was recently brought to my attention. I apologize for not following up sooner, as I recently joined the team at GiftedandTalented.com. We see the Advocate Program and our parent partners as an important voice in ensuring more students around the country and around the world can continue to be pushed to reach their highest potential.

When Stanford chose our team to work with them on EPGY, they wanted an organization that was committed to building out the courseware, sharing our courses with a larger audience, and creating a community of parents, students, and supporters of accelerated learning. Our team including educators (like myself), academicians, and parent enthusiasts is fully dedicated to those goals.

I understand that there may be some confusion regarding the ability to adjust account settings and controls. Our goal with the Advocate Program is for our parents to be able to support their advanced learner 100% (and let our well-informed Customer Experience Team handle the rest). Our Advocate Program is in its infancy and we appreciate any and all feedback on how we can best meet the needs of our parents who are often the only voice in their school fighting for advanced learning funding, tools and resources. I would love the opportunity to have a call with each of you so I can better understand what settings, tools and features would be most helpful to you. Parents like you who care deeply about education are exactly the folks we want to help empower in our goal of supporting our brightest youth. Please email or call me at your earliest convenience.

Warm Regards,

Andrea Rogers
    G&T.com Advocate Program Manager
    Andrea@GiftedandTalented.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs