Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I'm so glad I could help 'Neato!!!! I hope nothing is going on with your DD but if there is, I really hope the doctor can help. My DS's perception is now perfectly normal and while his tracking still isn't where we'd completely like it to be, he is on grade level now. The therapy really has helped him and hopefully, if something is going on with your DD, it will help her too. She is young too so it will be wonderful if you can catch it this early!!

Glad I could help and keep us posted on how the meeting goes!!! smile

Thanks for the update!

K
    K
    Opinion. Have him tested. More information is usually better. Statistically... you know... and it sounds like you are in denial. One of the most profoundly gt kids we know didn't read early but when he "learned" he jumped 8-9 graded reading levels in the year. Everyone has there favorites but I'd go for a quickie WISC and WJ with the follow-up being a conversation about the results and general counseling. plus if you 'need' the testing to help with counseling your insurance may help defer the cost.

E
    E
    Hi, I am new here. I only have one son. The WIAT was about 145. He is bore at school. I believed he is "underachievement". Can I apply to DI Young Scholars?

Here is a link to the DYS criteria. DYS Young Scholars You can do it w/ only one test score + portfolio items but from what I've read, it's harder to get in that way.

welcome!

Originally Posted by Tiz2008
    Thanks so much to everyone for their useful input - I really appreciate it. I have now booked the iq test for the psychologist - WISC IV. She also wanted to know if I needed the achievement test as well (WIAT) - I was thinking yes, as this may serve to further show if there is a LD - does anyone have any comments on this?

thanks again,
    Tiz

Hi Tiz!
    Welcome. I'm so glad you are here!
    I think it's a great move that you are going for testing. It's really hard internally to get over the 'well the teacher says it ain't broke, so what's wrong with me for wanting to fix it?' BTDT - what a waste.

Now, I'm going to be a bit of a grump, or perhaps my outward-directed perfectionism is showing, but are you really thrilled about your tester? You didn't seem to be head over heels in any of your posts, and I'm wondering with your son that you might need a real superhuman type to unravel his mystery. HG isn't 'garden variety' gifted, so if you aren't dazzled by your daughter's tester, don't be afraid to say - hey - if this were easy, we would have figured it out by now, I'm going to travel for this one.

Maybe you can list your top 5 areas where you can stay with relatives plus your home (don't tell us which is which) and we can PM you our favorite testers.

I'm not trying to put your current tester down, and they may be the the best choice, but I want to support you if there is a worried spot in you that says, "This is really unusual and I need to travel for this one."

After all, if you was so impressed by your tester after your daughter's experience, you would have signed your son up right away, even if it meant being embarrassed by his 'average' output, no?

Either Way - Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing