Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    JenT #200527 09/10/14 02:13 PM
    A
    A
    That isn't how I see CBT working at all. My daughter talks with her psychologist and me about the specific thoughts that are bothering her and then gets advice on new ways to think about them. It is helpful because she can talk through the issues while also putting them into perspective. It also helps for her to understand how anxiety works. I'll send you a PM.

Last edited by apm221; 09/10/14 02:15 PM.
    JenT #200531 09/10/14 02:38 PM
    B
    B
    Yes DS15 has just been diagnosed with both anxiety disorder and depression. We have not decided yet if we are going to go the medication route. It's on the table but not yet decided, but I am taking DS to have his yearly checkup next week, so I can be ready to go to a psychiatrist if we decide it warrants it. I am on the fence about it. Trying to see how the new year goes. In the meantime we have made some lifestyle changes and DS15 is seeing a psychologist who specializes in gifted kids.

My DS had big problems with anxiety in 6th grade and that we treated with therapy with a psychiatrist as well.

Good Luck. I know how hard a decision this can be and I haven't myself really figured out all the pro's and con's.

P
    P
    I have been an anxious/depressed child - is there any way you can find a better school fit?

JenT #200646 09/11/14 02:46 PM
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks again. I usually am not in the room when he is with his psychologist, but last time she had me join them and that's when they did the coloring faces. I'm not sure if other times they do more of actual CBT. It's really hard because CBT is trying to train your brain to think a different way... my son has already decided that it is impossible. We have a book "What to do When You Grumble Too Much", my son is willing to try the strategies when he is really desperate, but usually it's a no go.

Part of it is that he struggles with writing and I think he has just realized that the writing is only going to increase. I have asked the school to have him evaluated for OT.

He told me that the psychologist is the wrong kind of doctor, it's his body that's sick. Heartbreaking, but he has already seen his pediatrician and I am pretty confident that his body is ok.

JenT #200654 09/11/14 03:24 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by JenT
    Thanks again. I usually am not in the room when he is with his psychologist, but last time she had me join them and that's when they did the coloring faces. I'm not sure if other times they do more of actual CBT. It's really hard because CBT is trying to train your brain to think a different way... my son has already decided that it is impossible. We have a book "What to do When You Grumble Too Much", my son is willing to try the strategies when he is really desperate, but usually it's a no go.

Part of it is that he struggles with writing and I think he has just realized that the writing is only going to increase. I have asked the school to have him evaluated for OT.

He told me that the psychologist is the wrong kind of doctor, it's his body that's sick. Heartbreaking, but he has already seen his pediatrician and I am pretty confident that his body is ok.

He may be correct, in some ways, that it is (loosely) his body that is the obstacle--if one of the foci of his depression and anxiety is a fine-motor or other writing disability. No amount of CBT will remediate dysgraphia or the like. After all, the objective of CBT is to gain a sense of healthy perspective on one's thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Not to create a fantasy that there are no real problems of significance. So if there is a real problem of significance that is not being addressed, no kind of psychotherapy (that does not target the real problem) will be effective over the long term.

I'm glad you're pursuing an OT eval.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    JenT #200656 09/11/14 03:28 PM
    H
    H
    I also am wondering if you can advocate for a better school fit. I have the experience of having a child who can just make it through the extremely boring, but high pressure for behavior (considering how little there is to learn) school day and then sometimes having explosive or sad reactions when arriving home. Usually this was when a worksheet assigned for homework was just the last straw.

Ask your child what they might change about their school day, or what they are learning etc. When I said that this was the chance for me to try to help get things changed, that brought hope and emotional support and it really did help. I went to the teacher and school counselor and explained everything, and they did make the first of many changes, including subject acceleration and a grade skip.

It may not change your route for counseling, etc, but if you are spending 8 hours in a hopeless (to you) situation, that must make it worse.

I have read that HG people can "figure out" their therapists, and that might be what is happening with your child. Maybe finding someone who knows more about gifted kids, or educating the therapist, might help.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM