Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #200454 09/09/14 07:24 PM
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi, do any of you have a depressed/anxious child? My 8 year old son has always been high strung, but lately he has been suffering. I have been taking him for CBT (which does not seem to be making a difference). He is a very negative thinker...when he's feeling down, it's like being sprayed with a fire hose of negativity.

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist for him next month for an evaluation. I'd be open to trying an antidepressant for him, but he is really sensitive and I can't imagine him ever taking a pill. I know there is a liquid version, but I'm doubtful that I could get him to take that either.

He is making it through the school day pretty well, but it all comes out at home. He has to sit and write a lot at school, which he really hates. He does have several friends who he enjoys spending time with.

I'd be interested in some kind of mindfulness or yoga group, but there really isn't one in my area. I'm discouraged, just looking for any support or ideas. Thank you.

JenT #200457 09/09/14 07:46 PM
    A
    A
    I have a child with anxiety and we've been doing CBT for a while (we don't do it intensely, but get advice as needed). I also had severe anxiety myself as a child. I'd be happy to tell you more about our experiences in a PM if it's helpful.

Does he like the person doing CBT? It can make a big difference if they find someone who understands them.

JenT #200462 09/09/14 09:05 PM
    LAF Offline
    I don't have anything to add, but hang in there.

JenT #200463 09/09/14 09:08 PM
    S
    S
    I thought my son (then around 5) would never swallow pills but the psych had us teach him gradually, starting with learning to swallow an uncooked grain of rice.

JenT #200468 09/10/14 12:35 AM
    M
    M
    My DS7 (8 on the 20th) is also rather anxious. One of the recommendations from his IQ assessment session was to have him attend play therapy for school/performance related anxiety that the educational psych had picked up on during the tests.

To me I would send him to a psychologist first to understand what's causing the anxiety/depression, and see if they can help him work through it. I would only see a psychiatrist if they can't work out what's causing his anxiety/depression (my opinion only).

“...million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
    -Terry Pratchett
    JenT #200471 09/10/14 03:51 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Good advice above. All forms of therapy are rather therapist-dependent. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the right fit.

My usual sequence would be to have a psychologist evaluate first, in case the anxiety is a symptom of something else--you mention that he is having to write a lot at school, a disfavored activity. If writing is challenging for him on some level (handwriting, idea-generation, organization, connecting with teacher-selected topics, etc.), the CBT will not change the level of challenge presented by the stimulus for his anxiety, which would limit its effectiveness. A psychologist is more likely to investigate those kinds of triggers, and possibly provide you with some educational recommendations, or neuropsych-based strategies.

If the psychologist does not find something specific, then I would pursue a psychiatric consult, but make sure it's someone experienced with children. A really good child/adolescent psychiatrist can be very helpful, not only with meds, but with strategies.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    JenT #200491 09/10/14 08:06 AM
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks! We are taking him to the neuropsych who did his initial evaluation for the CBT. I feel like she really understands him and they have a good rapport. But it is not making a difference, so maybe she is not the right fit for the CBT.

When we first took him to the neuropsych when he was 6, we thought he might be on the autism spectrum. She told us that he is not. Now that he is 8, I can see that he is not autistic. Now he seems depressed, when he was 7 he had intermittent anger issues. He's very sensitive to taste, sound and smell, so some sensory issues as well. I feel like I'm always confused as to what is going on with him.

He has great days, and I think, "Oh fantastic, we've turned the corner!", then he goes right back.

The neuropsych had him color in faces labeled with moods like happy, confident, etc. We're supposed to pick one each morning and have that be the theme of the day, to set our mood before a negative one sets in. That's all well and good, but my son is not going along with it. He is stubborn, and he thinks that it is a ridiculous idea.

He says things that absolutely floor me from time to time. Recently when I wouldn't let him do something, he told me, "If you don't let me do it, I'll never visit or call you when I'm grown up." He tells me that he is in the wrong family quite frequently. Also that he feels bad all of the time and I'm not doing anything to help him.

JenT #200492 09/10/14 08:18 AM
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yes apm221, I'd love to hear more if you have a chance to PM me. thanks

JenT #200493 09/10/14 08:41 AM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Another approach would be to look at Ross Greene's work:

www.livesinthebalance.org

The Explosive Child (I know he's not so explosive anymore, but this is still a good book about addressing emotional-behavioral issues, and specifically includes some discussion about hypersensitivities). This is a very different philosophical approach from the behaviorally-inspired ABA, CBT, etc. therapies.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    JenT #200518 09/10/14 12:37 PM
    C
    C
    Hi - I'm sorry your DS is having trouble. My DD (9) is currently dealing with anxiety.

It's very hard and stressful - we've started sessions with a counselor but so far it doesn't appear to be helping. I did have her do an online anxiety course for kids that seemed like it would be helpful (GoZen). However, although she enjoyed it and seemed to get the message (she spent a therapy session explaining all the strategies to the counselor), she seems unable to apply them a lot of the time.

Not advocating medication, but just relating something that may be helpful - My DD is also extremely taste and texture sensitive. However, my husband managed to teach her to swallow pills by having her swallow very small candies whole - he took her to a frozen yogurt place where they have a variety of sizes - from sprinkles up to larger ones. They started with the smallest and worked their way up. When she can do this it's very helpful because she often refuses liquid medication. Of course sometimes she also refuses pills (due to anxiety) but sometimes it works.

Everything you've said is very familiar, including stubornly refusing a therapist's suggestions.

I hope you find something that works for your son.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM