Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #200330 09/08/14 09:43 AM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    DD3 keeps asking me to teach her how to read.

She knows her letter sounds.

What's the best way to go about teaching her how to read?

TIA

I
    I
    While not claiming it as the best way to go about teaching a child to read, a common method is simply to ask a child to choose a book, and read aloud to him/her.

Pointing to the words as you read them is common. Children may begin sounding out words as you read together. Sometimes the child may like to point to words, or say a word they may recognize or know is coming next due to familiarity with the book.

Pausing to talk about the pictures and the story line, or relating something in the book to other books or to the child's lived experiences helps make connections and also role models internal conversation about what is being read.

C
    C
    We liked the "Elephant and Piggie" books by Mo Willems.

There are tons of them and they are very new reader friendly (lots of short words and lots of repetition).

Z
    Z
    At that age, I would just add a bit of fuel and see what happens. Like sound through a few three letter words with magnetic letters and show her how they combine to make a word. If she is totally ready, she'll piece it largely together herself from there.

B
    B
    I would get some very simple easy readers (we used the BOB books) and teach her how to blend the letter sounds to make words. We only used 1-2 sets of BOB books and then my kids took off with reading. DS seemed to absorb it magically and I really don't know how he learned. He hardly spent any time reading and acted like he didn't care. I think DD learned a lot from listening to audiobooks and following along in the books. They both could read fluently by the time they started kindergarten. Some schools are hung up with sight words and flash cards. Maybe this works for some kids but neither one of mine ever used them.

I
    I
    Not sure what kind of reaction I will get here for this BUT we did "Hooked on Phonics." Both boys love(d) it. My first kid hated BOB books - he thought they were "boring" and "stupid" but he liked the "Hooked on Phonics" books because he thought they were hysterical - even the simple ones. Also because he could reach word in the book - they used each word taught in the lesson in the subsequent book/story.... I highly recommend the series! smile And my first one was liked yours - he kept asking to be taught to read because he wanted it so badly but couldn't pick it up on his own. Now he reads several grad levels ahead and will read every night (all night if I let him!)

I
    I
    They both also seem to like seeing their progress and their building on each lesson ... which the hooked on phonics does well.

A
    A
    DS2.10 loves a phonics-type game we made up where we write nonsense words with magnetic letters and sound them out. Every third or fourth word, I'll throw in a real word and watch his delight as he discovers it has a meaning. Keep it brief and keep her wanting more. Stop while you're still laughing.

The closer the "words" sound to real words--especially silly ones--the more laughs you'll elicit. Give her a real word, and switch out one consonant or vowel to make jibberish words.

E.g. Farm --> farp, yarm, fark, zarm

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    We also liked the "Brand New Readers" series. There are a ton to choose from with lots of different characters (like "Termite and Ostrich"). They are similar to the BOB books except they are in color and the stores are a little funnier. DS did read the BOB books at first but quickly grew to despise them.

Last edited by cmguy; 09/08/14 11:21 AM.
    L
    L
    I really think that simply reading TO your DC at this age is the key. If you are already doing this, you may one day be surprised...that your DC is actually following along, not simply listening. Focusing on books that contain quite a few sight words and that are engaging to your DC helps too. DD and DS had different preferences, but the way I started to notice each one could read was WHILE I was reading to them...DS, in particular, started to CORRECT me if I missed something.

When they got started and were a bit reluctant, I would usually tell them to take turns with me or complain that I was loosing my voice and that I needed their help. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM