Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #200110 09/05/14 08:47 AM
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Very good blog post by a 25-year teacher who is tired of all the tests:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...throw-my-students-to-the-testing-wolves/

I particularly like this part:
    Just how exactly is my student taking a high-stakes standardized test at the end of the year, the test questions of which I never see, the scored tests and essay questions which are never returned to the child, helping that fifth-grader to learn?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Very good blog post by a 25-year teacher who is tired of all the tests:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...throw-my-students-to-the-testing-wolves/

I particularly like this part:
    Just how exactly is my student taking a high-stakes standardized test at the end of the year, the test questions of which I never see, the scored tests and essay questions which are never returned to the child, helping that fifth-grader to learn?
    I there should be more standardized testing, not less. In elementary school in Massachusetts there are two mornings each devoted to math and English tests, and I think it would be fine to devote another morning each to social studies and science tests. Why shouldn't I get any objective information about how my children are doing in these subjects? I can look at their report card grades, but how do I know what a "3" or "4" means, in the absence of a published grade distribution? Our elementary schools like to talk about how wonderful they are. At the open house the principal describes the teachers are "superstars". They aren't. I'm not. Standardized tests actually let parents compare performance across schools. No wonder schools don't like it.

22B Offline
    Why don't teachers just spend time teaching what they think should be taught, and when it come to testing, just let the chips fall where they may.

Isn't test prep basically cheating the system?

22B #200127 09/05/14 10:57 AM
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Why don't teachers just spend time teaching what they think should be taught, and when it come to testing, just let the chips fall where they may.

Massachusetts releases old MCAS questions, and other states do the same. Having students practice on released questions cannot be called cheating. My middle child occasionally works through old MCAS tests for fun. Whether practicing on old questions boost scores is unknown. Once students become familiar with question formats, I doubt that further practice helps much.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Standardized tests actually let parents compare performance across schools. No wonder schools don't like it.

All those scores tell you is how well the students, in aggregate, are meeting the most basic educational goals. I find no value in it. Maybe if my child was falling below the achievement floor in her current school, it would have some relevance to her.

22B #200130 09/05/14 11:11 AM
    Originally Posted by 22B

Test prep is a feature of the system given human nature.

22B #200133 09/05/14 11:22 AM
    C
    C
    The school DS4 attends does it this way. But it is not a public school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent