Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #199998 09/04/14 06:28 AM
    OP Offline
    This morning is day 3 of full day kindergarden. DS is refusing to go (refusing to do things is something he is very good at).

The school, despite knowing he has a dual diagnosis, and that this was a problem even with half-days last year, is insisting that this is "normal behavior." They don't even get it that dragging him bodily while also taking care of a 2.5 yr old is... problematic.

They eventually decided it was ok if I talked to someone other than the secretary because I just wouldn't hang up. Even so, I didn't get to talk to anyone right away, or get an appt, just "Someone will call back."

The teacher is AWESOME. But the kid is 2E, maybe SOME accomodations, people?

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #200007 09/04/14 07:53 AM
    C
    C
    I don't have any words of wisdom but I can sympathize. We didn't know DS was 2e at the time (he was tested half way through grade 1). Now that I know he's 2e (and more about what that all means) and have watched 5 years of "normal" kindergarten/kid drop offs it kind of gives me a different perspective. At the time it was just another thing in the day of life with DS and I thought we just had to get through it. Everything is a challenge with him and it is often hard to know when to push and when to back off.

I do know that routine was key for our DS. We had to do exactly the same thing every morning with lots of time countdowns before leaving the house (10 more minutes until we get our shoes on, etc). We also had a crazy good bye handshake routine that took at least 5 minutes at the gate of the school - hug, kiss, fist bump, exploding fist bump, high 5, low 5, and on and on and on.... We were quite the sight.

Good luck!

Michaela #200012 09/04/14 09:03 AM
    I
    I
    the kid is 2E, maybe SOME accomodations, people?
    Most often, instructional supports or accommodations do not occur spontaneously. Typically, parents begin the process with a written request. Do you have clear diagnosis of the student's needs, and ideas of services which may help your child, to document in a IEP/504?

Some resources which may of help in guiding you through the process include:
    - the book From Emotions to Advocacy,
    - wrightslaw website,
    - National Center for Learning Disabilities (NCLD) website.

Michaela #200013 09/04/14 09:13 AM
    B
    B
    Hugs. Never had that particular problem so I can't help, but we have had our share of others.

Michaela #200080 09/04/14 05:00 PM
    OP Offline
    We were being blocked from the IEP process. They now remember every detail of previous discussions *except* that we asked for an IEP at every single one, and they refused to touch the letter (we could have just emailed it, but we were trying not to make enemies)

Anyway, they're backtracking. Hopefully things will go well. and yes, Indigo, we arrived last September with all of that. They just ignored it. Honestly, as far as K goes, the 2Es actually *do* kinda cancel each other if you're not looking too closely.

But this kind of problem on day 3 does not bode well.

(also, we're not in the US)

Last edited by Michaela; 09/04/14 05:00 PM.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    Michaela #200083 09/04/14 08:21 PM
    A
    A
    You are legally entitled to review for an IEP under the IPRC process. All that is required to initiate the IPRC process is a written request by the parent(s) to the principal requesting IPRC, which entails evaluation for exceptionalities and ensuing drafting of an IEP. The principal is bound by educational statutes to comply with the parental request.

If you have submitted a written IPRC request and have been stonewalled, I recommend sending them the source documents enclosed in the link below and voicing an intent to make a complaint to the district head of special education if the statutes aren't honoured. (I can provide a name and contact information in a PM.) This is not something that can be legally refused.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/leadership/pdfs/issue12.pdf

What is to give light must endure burning.
    aquinas #200088 09/04/14 11:39 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    You are legally entitled to review for an IEP under the IPRC process. All that is required to initiate the IPRC process is a written request by the parent(s) to the principal requesting IPRC, which entails evaluation for exceptionalities and ensuing drafting of an IEP. The principal is bound by educational statutes to comply with the parental request.

If you have submitted a written IPRC request and have been stonewalled, I recommend sending them the source documents enclosed in the link below and voicing an intent to make a complaint to the district head of special education if the statutes aren't honoured. (I can provide a name and contact information in a PM.) This is not something that can be legally refused.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/leadership/pdfs/issue12.pdf

But not if you are outside the US.

Michaela #200094 09/05/14 04:15 AM
    C
    C
    aquinas's link is specific to Ontario, Canada. The reference to 1/2 day JK and full day SK makes it a good guess and/or aquinas has a much better memory than I do wink

OP - if you happen to be with the OCSB, OCDSB or one of the french boards PM me and I can put you in touch with the people higher up the food chain.

Last edited by chay; 09/05/14 04:16 AM.
    Michaela #200095 09/05/14 04:29 AM
    W
    W
    Since we moved to Toronto for grade 4, it did not affect us, gifted congregated starts in 4 but I have not heard of any child accomodated before that except one on the ABC Ontario board that got skipped.
    Although they have been more accomodating, at least last year, for DD to log on during math and do her accelerated CTY which they didn't do in NYC. I am going to push for the same this year.

Michaela #200113 09/05/14 08:55 AM
    D
    D
    Definitely, step 1 is knowing your rights and not taking no for an answer. I don't recall the specific diagnoses, but there should at least be a full eval.

We have had great success with a paid advocate, who helped us navigate the stonewalling.

It does happen that a 2E child sometimes needs their strengths accommodated in order to work on their weaknesses. This, like the disability, can be an educational need.

A child who fights tooth and nail and won't behave at school is, perversely, an easier child to advocate for in certain ways, because sooner or later they'll realize that the situation needs to work. But getting the school to ID the disability is very important-- in part because it protects against punishments for disability-related behaviors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM