Having never hired tutors before, I would really appreciate some guidance on this matter.

I'd like to hire a math tutor for my DD6 and possibly DD8. Math is not a strong subject for my husband and I. Both DCs are in gifted/high achieving magnet schools. I have always felt DS8 underachieves in math, although he gets excellent grades. His math work is easy for him; yet has meltdowns when he doesn't get something right away. Because he tends to shy away from math challenges, he has always been grade level gifted math classes. He is in 4th grade.

My DD6 on the other hand is working about 2 grades ahead, but isn't obsessed with numbers. I was unable to get any math acceleration for her this year (1st grade) and she started complaining yesterday about her easy math work in class. It's difficult for me to look her homework without getting frustrated.

She has been doing EPGY as a supplement at home, but I'm thinking perhaps she would benefit from having a math tutor (she craves human interaction). She loves to learn but does not take directions well from me which is why we are not thinking of homeschooling. I haven't asked any of the moms I know at school, as they would probably look at me as if I have three heads (a tutor for a six year old??) or suggest Kumon, which does not suit DD well at all as she wants to learn, not gain mastery of math facts.

Is 6 years too young to have a math tutor? Do you meet them at your home or library, etc? I've been looking on wyzant and it seems most math tutors focus on the ms/hs age set. She is HG+ and scored very high on the PRI subset on the wisc IV.