Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #199356 08/26/14 10:39 AM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Any struggles you are dealing with as a gifted adult?

B
    B
    Perfectionism. Being TOO detailed oriented. I work from home and have two kids under four and I am constantly beating myself up that I can't keep up with everything as well as I want. I see every speck of dust on the floor as if someone is pointing it at with a spotlight and it's so stressful. I'm never happy or satisfied with what I accomplish. I'm very 'particular' about most things in life. Those are some major issues I have.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13
    Apparently I'm a bit too expressive emotionally, because what feels like "mild annoyance" is often confused for "barely-contained rage" by those close to me. I suspect that's an overlap between my intensity and their sensitivity.

Z
    Z
    Conversely, I make too much lemonade.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Apparently I'm a bit too expressive emotionally, because what feels like "mild annoyance" is often confused for "barely-contained rage" by those close to me. I suspect that's an overlap between my intensity and their sensitivity.

This is funny, because I feel like I'm constantly in a state of barely-contained rage while my family thinks I'm placid and content.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by squishys
    All the things BrandiT listed. Plus, I constantly feel so different; I think so differently to those around me, I used to wonder if I was stupid because I didn't think in a normal way. I see details in everything, like patterns in personality, so I find it hard to like people because I know them too well already (hard to explain). And being driven insane by the stupid people around me-- the thoughtless people-- and wishing people could just get things. Harsh, I know, but it's so frustrating.

What BrandiT and you have, and

- being careless
    - see, hear, smell anything and everything
    - feel confined due to societal and familial norms

D
    D
    I'm a very fast learner and generally learn things after one repetition. Unfortunately, I had to sit through three days of training this summer for a major upgrade to our database system. Just from messing around in the upgraded test environment before the trainer got there, I had pretty much figured out to configure everything and make it work the way I wanted it to. That three days felt like TORTURE and there were things I knew that our trainer did not. It was very hard to stay still and quiet so that the others in the room could learn.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN

This is funny, because I feel like I'm constantly in a state of barely-contained rage while my family thinks I'm placid and content.

This could also be made worse by attending law school.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN

This could also be made worse by attending law school.

Too late, I already graduated.

A
    A
    1. Having to hold back on humour because you know your audience won't understand the joke.
    2. Having to hold back on meaningful discussion with loved ones because you know your audience won't understand your point or will revert to logical fallacies in rebuttal.
    3. Emotional and sensory over excitabilities.
    4. Marveling at the profound illogic of most people's day to day behaviours and decisions, and reconciling that with their right to vote being equal to yours.
    5. Slow talkers and small talk combine to form my personal ninth ring of hell.

Whee, a 5 step journey to misanthropy!

Fortunately 1 and 2 can be largely mitigated by who you choose to socialize with and, for me, 3 is best poured into a vigorous workout or pet project. I haven't found a workaround to 4. With 5, I remind myself that I probably bore many people in my own way.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM