Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #199231 08/24/14 03:43 PM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I did a search on this topic before I started another one since we kind of beat this to death but I just read the NY Times articles
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/u...-acceptance-rates-hit-new-lows.html?_r=0

And Stanford's acceptance rates dropped to 5%, Harvard, Yale 6%. And they just keep dropping. It makes you wonder what the student body is made of when you get to these levels. Who are these kids?

B
    B
    Good artilce about some of the issues at hand.

“Kids see that the admit rates are brutal and dropping, and it looks more like a crapshoot,” he said. “So they send more apps, which forces the colleges to lower their admit rates, which spurs the kids next year to send even more apps.”

As to who are these kids? They are the compliant ones. The kids who have learned to dot every I, cross every T, and spend their H.S. years studying and doing extracurricular activities. I've seen complaints from professors that the students they are getting aren't critically thinking the way students have in the past. And despite the students sky high 4.35 GPA's and 10 AP's, many of these students seems less ready for college than in years past.

I
    I
    One reason they have dropped so low is because of the Common Application. But basically they are the same kids they have always been -- top scores, top grades, excelling at unusual ECs, fantastic recommendations. Some are athletes, URMs, and legacies. They get far more qualified applicants than they can accept, so they can really pick and choose based on the finest detail.

If anyone is interested in seeing more detail on admissions breakdowns, looking at the Common Data Set for a college is a good way to do that. Google " Common Data Set" to find them. Almost every college has this available.

We just didn't stress over this during our 2nd kid's recent college search (PG). We picked some elite colleges where she thought she would be happy, but also a range downward in both academics and cost/possible merit aid. She got in everyplace and had her choice. She didn't think Stanford or the Ivies would be a fit for her, so didn't actually apply to any (but did to some top LACs and research universities).

B
    B
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    And despite the students sky high 4.35 GPA's and 10 AP's, many of these students seems less ready for college than in years past.
    Perhaps, but average college GPAs have continued to increase at the most selective schools, and graduation rates are very high. Since the BA is a less well defined credential than an MD, schools can define the level and quality of work that most students actually do as A-level college work.

Dean Says Median Grade at Harvard College Is A-, Most Common Grade Is A
    By MATTHEW Q. CLARIDA and NICHOLAS P. FANDOS
    Harvard Crimson
    December 4, 2013

Val Offline
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. The higher grades are due to grade inflation; this process has been documented pretty thoroughly.

Originally Posted by Val
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. The higher grades are due to grade inflation; this process has been documented pretty thoroughly.

But...but...if you are only selecting the very highest quality student, they should all have higher grades!

I mean, if there is a deep pool of Top Shelf students, manufactured using the highest quality craftsmanship, coupled with modern technology and quality control procedures, who is capable of getting an A+ in all classes...and you fill your university with only this Top Shelf student, then the average grade will, by definition, be an A+.

What am I missing?

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by Val

But...but...if you are only selecting the very highest quality student, they should all have higher grades!

I mean, if there is a deep pool of Top Shelf students, manufactured using the highest quality craftsmanship, coupled with modern technology and quality control procedures, who is capable of getting an A+ in all classes...and you fill your university with only this Top Shelf student, then the average grade will, by definition, be an A+.

What am I missing?

You forgot to put garlands on the A+s. Shame! The students will cry.

Shouldn't there be trophies? Stickers, at the very least.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Shiny iridescent stickers!

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    you fill your university with only this Top Shelf student, then the average grade will, by definition, be an A+.
    Because college is exactly like high school! Just more of it!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM