Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    I also have been finding myself posting a little less. I was finding that I was becoming increasingly overwhelmed and frustrated. It also is good timing since DS5 is in the process of a much needed learning break.

To make a quick comment about the OP: I didn't really notice that my older son was gifted since I was very focused on his gross motor delay. It didn't matter that he was talking full sentences since usually friends and family were always asking if he was walking yet. Once the gross motor thing finally resolved (around 2.5 years old) I started to realize that his vocabulary, counting, rhyming and reasoning skills were advanced for his age.

I was more aware of some early skills from my younger two (untested) children. Right now I love sitting and watching DD4 create wonderful art masterpieces with such expression and detail. I also love watching DS2 put together puzzles with such determination and ease. I honestly think I am just more aware to look for these things after having gone through it once already.

Crisc
    I miss my buddies though. frown

(Even though I'm also trying to be here less and revise the book more. *sigh*)

Kriston
    OP Offline
    Catherine, that was a great post about the stages of having a GT kid. Everything hit right on with me. Sometimes I'm still in the Disbelief stage, but for the most part I've moved onto the anxiety and planning. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way, especially when I think that my DD is only 2.5 and I have a LONG road ahead of us as far as education goes. And who knows what DD2mo will bring... as young as she is, she's also showing signs of being bright as well with her alertness, early smiling, cooing, etc. She even sang back to me a couple of days ago when I was singing a song to calm her down. Normally I wouldn't give any notice to that possibly being unusual, but I'm keeping my eyes open for clues just in case. And if she's a "normal" kid, I'll love her just the same. smile

Today I had a great conversation with a good friend of mine about DD2.5 and my friend wasn't uncomfortable, angry, argumentative or anything. She was very supportive and thought it was amazing that DD2.5 can type her name on the computer and put together a puzzle with ease. My friend also has young children, 3.5 and 2, so I've always stayed away from the subject, but that's hard to do when DD2.5 is doing those things right out in the open. I just acknowledged that she seems to be a smart little turkey and we talked about her DS3.5's love of mechanics like it was no big deal.

Ahhh, what a relief.

Q
    Q
    Hi, HoosierMommy,

I haven't been reading the board lately, and don't have time to catch up now, but I just saw your name on the front page and had to tell you how much I love your name - as in "Who's Your Mommy?" LOL! Welcome and glad to see that you're getting support and answers from those more knowledgeable than me. And I apologize if your name has already been commented on (and I know not to end my sentence with a preposition - oops)

After all, I'm,

Questions confused (even though this icon says "confused")

OP Offline
    Questions, thank for the compliment on the name. Nobody has said anything about it -- you're the first. I told my husband to join the forum as HoosierDaddy. I laughed at my own joke but he merely chuckled. I still think it'd be a great name! smile

Q
    Q
    I laughed again when I read Who's Your Daddy! laugh

Ok, I didn't get it, I was thinking Indiana basketball.

As well you should! (Said the I.U. fan...)

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Oh, I know all about the Hoosiers! But I liked the double-entendre, too.

OT, but there's are loads of myths about the origin of the term "Hoosier," since no one really knows for sure what it means ("Who's 'ere," a man names Hoosier, etc.)

My favorite tall tale is that back when the midwest was the frontier, there were lots of knife fights. In the middle of one particularly bad brawl, someone picked up something from the floor and called out, "Hey! Whose ear?"

That became "Hoosier."

I think it's a ridiculous story without a shred of truth to it, but I love it! And so "Whose ear, Mommy?" is what I think of! laugh

Kriston
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs