Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    You could have your DD take the AoPS Algebra I diagnostic for a quick check. I'm sure it's more difficult than what the schools would offer. They also have prealgebra vidoes you can look at to see if there's anything you think she needs to review first.

22B Offline
    Alcumus prealgebra would also probably be tougher than what schools would expect.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I like that AoPS test; thanks! The questions are similar to what I've been seeing, but a bit harder and more focused.

Q
    Q
    The suitability of skipping Pre-algebra is heavily dependent on your school's curriculum and teacher. I would not let my kids skip any course from Pre-Algebra on up but the scale may in fact tilt the other way at your DD's school. For DS, the Pre-Algebra course established a strong foundation in Geometry and Trigonometry, his relatively weaker areas since he is not a visual spatial kid. Even though elementary algebra and elementary geometry are incorporated starting with 1st grade, it was reassuring to see that DS can handle real Geometry and Trigonometry. On the other hand, it may be characterized as Geometry-lite and Trigonometry-lite and arguably will be repeated later in Geometry and Trigonometry. So it comes down to your philosophy - do you think that it is beneficial or harmful for kids to see/practice concepts that they have already seen in a previous course. I tend to answer somewhat beneficial for my own kids, who often learn too fast and may sometimes run the risk of forgetting concepts/procedures that they covered in a flash.

By the way, I had DS take the AOPS Are You Ready? test for Algebra. The results showed that DS was ready although we ultimately elected to only accelerate to Pre-Algebra for a number of other reasons including the Geometry/spatial issues.

On the other hand, I question the vigor of a course that uses Khan Academy as instruction unless the teacher will develop/introduce her own instructional material as well. While I think Khan Academy is wonderful as a supplement and it's free, it is gear toward the "every man" and not gear toward gifted at all. If the Pre-Algebra course is low level and only cover "algebra-lite" topics (as indicated by some of the other posters' curriculum) or your DD is strong with visual spatial tasks, then it may make sense to skip Pre-algebra.

Since this is a new school, the best way to advocate is to have her ace their readiness and end of course tests. I would provide outside testing only if you think that it is necessary to unlock the door to their readiness and end of course tests.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    On the other hand, I question the vigor of a course that uses Khan Academy as instruction unless the teacher will develop/introduce her own instructional material as well. While I think Khan Academy is wonderful as a supplement and it's free, it is gear toward the "every man" and not gear toward gifted at all. If the Pre-Algebra course is low level and only cover "algebra-lite" topics (as indicated by some of the other posters' curriculum) or your DD is strong with visual spatial tasks, then it may make sense to skip Pre-algebra.

Yes, this is exactly my problem with it. KA is their primary teaching source, with the teacher supplementing when kids have questions.

I go for rigor at home and teach a lot of conceptual stuff. Khan (and ALEKS, which my son got stuck with last year) are pretty straightforward. If she was going to a school that used AoPS-like pre-algebra, I don't think I'd be leaning this way. But given the options, skipping algebra-lite with a lot of supplementation from me seems best.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM