Originally Posted by Quantum2003
On the other hand, I question the vigor of a course that uses Khan Academy as instruction unless the teacher will develop/introduce her own instructional material as well. While I think Khan Academy is wonderful as a supplement and it's free, it is gear toward the "every man" and not gear toward gifted at all. If the Pre-Algebra course is low level and only cover "algebra-lite" topics (as indicated by some of the other posters' curriculum) or your DD is strong with visual spatial tasks, then it may make sense to skip Pre-algebra.

Yes, this is exactly my problem with it. KA is their primary teaching source, with the teacher supplementing when kids have questions.

I go for rigor at home and teach a lot of conceptual stuff. Khan (and ALEKS, which my son got stuck with last year) are pretty straightforward. If she was going to a school that used AoPS-like pre-algebra, I don't think I'd be leaning this way. But given the options, skipping algebra-lite with a lot of supplementation from me seems best.