Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 431 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by HelloBaby
    Not so much about giftedness. It’s their intensities that make parenting so tiring.

I am always surprised how laidback my friend’s children are compare to our own.

Ruf talks about the distinguishing factor of EG/PG children being intensity, and insofar as OEs are intelligence-linked, I'm of the mind that what I'm observing isn't solely temperament-driven.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Ruf talks about the distinguishing factor of EG/PG children being intensity, and insofar as OEs are intelligence-linked, I'm of the mind that what I'm observing isn't solely temperament-driven.

And to add my own intensity to mix, it's explosive!

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    But every time I look at DS, I can't help but think that he's my favourite person (other than DH!)

Yes to this too! DD is amazing and wonderful and we are completely in love with her. Knowing the result, I wouldn't go back and do anything differently... we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it again though.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Ivy
    But every time I look at DS, I can't help but think that he's my favourite person (other than DH!)

Yes to this too! DD is amazing and wonderful and we are completely in love with her. Knowing the result, I wouldn't go back and do anything differently... we just couldn't bring ourselves to do it again though.

I respect that. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.

DW and I openly tell DD9 that she's our favorite human being in the whole world. It's only natural that DW would rank DD ahead of me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    In our experience, once the kids are old enough to do all of the following, life gets a lot easier:

Eat by themselves and rinse their dishes
    Take a shower by themselves
    Get dressed by themselves
    Get out of bed in the morning, eat somethings simple, and amuse themselves

I'll PM you when even one of those things happens and we can have a forum party!

Looking back on when my kids were all little (my youngest was born when my oldest was 4), I think that DH and I were probably both in a frame of mind that didn't allow for thinking about the reality of things getting better when they got older. I don't think we really had time for that.

But honestly, it really does get better, and sooner than you think.

Also, YMMV, but I think that having a sib or two has been a wonderful thing for our kids.

Originally Posted by Dude

DW and I openly tell DD9 that she's our favorite human being in the whole world. It's only natural that DW would rank DD ahead of me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Ditto. DD knows that we wanted her-- desperately-- and that she is absolutely the light of our lives. We just plain LIKE her, and who she is.

But our feelings about her are much as Ivy reports, too-- plus, we had the added worry with a second child that would, if biologically our own, likely have some of the very same challenges that had little to do with temperment or LOG, and everything to do with a bad hand of genetic material on some level. Life with DD during her first 3 years of life was downright harrowing-- it was the grinding fear that did it. We were just so continuously afraid for her safety.

It also felt like a second child would elevate DD's risks medically by dividing our attention or distracting the parent-in-charge, often at times and in ways that she could very ill afford (in crowds, around groups of kids, during chaotic events). The alternative was paying MORE attention (still) to DD and less to a sibling that "needed" us less. This is not hypothetical-- I really know a few families that lucked out and had a second child who was "unaffected" only to feel horrible guilt for being less available and attentive to that younger child. There's no glossing over that, because it's simply the way that things are. I really feared that we'd also be signing on for MORE limitations, too-- and we had gone to great pains to give DD what she could safely have in her life. So getting rid of a beloved pet, or making our house milk-free again would have really diminished her quality of life because her life was already so constrained, if that makes sense. When you live like that, it IS those little things that matter and give you tenuous glimpses of what it means to live normatively.

I couldn't FATHOM making my daughter's world smaller than it was... that felt incredibly selfish of us. It's hard to explain. By the time that we felt that it would have been okay, it was really too late for a biological sibling that would actually have BEEN a sibling, and it would have been risky and taken medical assistance to get us there. So we looked at adoption, too, but that also didn't feel fair to either child. By that time, we knew that DD was PG, and well, that's a tough act to follow (or live with) for any child-- biological sib or not. DH's experience being the HG sib of an EG sibling was quite telling there. We particularly didn't want the pattern of an adoptive NT sibling close in age and PG biologically-ours DD.

It's a really personal decision. No question that there are all kinds of inputs into it. In some ways I regret that we waited so long to have children. It didn't seem like we were so old (in our 30's), but it turned out that we'd waited too long. We did briefly try to have another. Didn't work out-- and what a nice euphemism for what that put us through.

As I said, the one thing that is a bummer about having an only is that all of her firsts are also our lasts. You only get one crack at parenting "4" or "13." Eventually, I learned to kind of take mental snapshots of DD at each age, so that I have a mental folder of little pressed flowers of what and who she was at those ages. I'll never live through them again as a parent, after all. That is sad, but then again, each child is different, so I might say that I "just loved 2!" and I DID with DD, but there's nothing to say that I could recapture it with a second child. So another child wasn't really the cure for my wistfulness that the time is too short, and all the more so with a PG-let, because they compress their own childhoods so dramatically. Most parents get to enjoy ages 0-18 before sending them off to college. Not true for so many of us on the forum. cry

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Alternatively, DW and I wanted to know ASAP, so we could see her as an individual. The first thing we did when we got home from that doctor's visit is give DD her proper name. Naming her made her feel so much more real.

Same goal, two different approaches.

We felt the same way with our second two children. Our older two were significantly older than the younger two, and by finding out gender and naming early on, it felt like they were already a part of our family. In fact, at times, the older ones talked about the younger ones in a way that confused people into thinking the younger ones had already been born! Both dds were in the room as their younger brothers were born, and oldest dd (9 at the time, but already planning a career in biology:)) was the first to touch both brothers, as they were emerging (she clearly found it more fascinating to watch then dh or I!). I understand both approaches, but for the siblings, finding out gender was a great way to bond.

M
    M
    Perhaps a little stats illustrates my point better than the verbiage in my earlier post. If my children hypothetically require my 24/7 attention for x years... which has large repercussions for my career, our family finances, and how DH and I parent.

I think a lot depends on how comfortable you feel changing your thinking from "my child requires my 24/7 attention" to my child "would like, demands, would benefit from, my full time attention," Our oldest would probably have loved to be an only child- she is PG and was VERY high intensity-fun and amazing and exhausting... and of course, she also didn't sleep well (luckily, 2 of our 4 did sleep well, including our best sleeper, #3, without which we might have stopped at that point!). All were co-sleepers and extensively nursed, but at some point, if you have more children, your child will adjust to the fact that they can't have you 24/7. I'll be honest, some of the kids DO get more attention due to their personality, which is probably unfair to the others, but hey, life is unfair. We try our best. Not to scare you off more kids forever, but my two intense ones definitely required a lot more ER/urgent care visits over the years (intense ones sometimes do crazy things, even with lots of supervision!!). But your children WILL adjust if you have more kids. And maybe this is stupid or naive to say, but I think my kids are good friends because we have made that a huge priority - being kind, developing joint interests, working and playing together, trying not to compare or cause resentment, etc... I think parents have a LOT to do with whether their kids become friends (and good citizens in general, although again, it took more work on all fronts for my most intense one). Did we give up things? Of course-and it definitely affected our finances and my career. I completely respect anyone who chooses not to give that up, but for me, honestly, my kids were more fun than any coworkers I can imagine, precisely because they were so smart and just great to be with.

A
    A
    We spend a lot of effort trying to help the kids learn to be kind and encouraging them to work together. We do a lot of things together as a family and encourage shared interests; my family comes with me on most business trips even though it would be far easier to go by myself (it gives the kids many opportunities to travel). Both kids are very empathetic in general. I can give you a long list of examples of considerate things they have done. For whatever reason, though, they just have trouble being friends. I don't think the fact that kids are not friends means their parents didn't teach them to be friends; some kids just have very different personalities and that can be challenging with two intense kids.

I'm sure parents can increase the chances that kids will be friends versus resenting each other and feeling unfairness, but they can't guarantee it.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM