Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    fitzi #19851 07/11/08 04:36 PM
    Well Grinity says "Gifted is as gifted does"

Label it however you want as long as you support your kid in it.
    My kids have done this and I've never seen them get OCD about it. When they are done, they move on to something else. They have had periods where they weren't fascinated with anything in particular.

I knew a mom who seemed a little Gifted Denial. Personally, her son looked really GT to me, but it's none of my business. She had told me he was obsessed with Pokemon cards or something along those lines. Making intricate binders, creating extravagant story lines with the characters etc. She said she was very concerned and solved the "problem" by taking all the stuff away from him.
    I felt bad for the little guy, but that's the mom's decision to make.
    DD8 has made comments before that one of her friend's mom doesn't understand her. This is a particularly bright little girl. I asked her if that's what her friend told her. She said no, she's just decided that from observing her. DD8 then told me that I get her, which is obviously good!
    Phew...

Yes, if it gives the child pleasure and helps the child connect with the world in a meaningful way, then the "obsession" looks healthy and useful to the child to me.

We all view the world through lenses that make sense to us. If your child's lens is math or cars or dinosaurs...so what? What does it hurt?

DS7 has been serially obsessed with letters, colors, building equipment, cars, race cars, and now Transformers. (I may have missed a couple, too!) Every one of those had its trying moments for me, but they were never bad for him. He learned from them and loved them, just as fitzi is describing. They were a springboard to making sense of the world. In my mind, that's a positive thing.

It also looks to me a lot like the sort of specialization that we adults do. I took math, but I don't love it. I LOVE literature, so that's what I'm doing for a living. It's my passion. In adulthood, we think of having a passion for what we do as a good thing, not a bad thing. So provided these kids don't dig in their heels and refuse to do *any* math (or whatever that's not their passion)--and most don't!--why penalize them for finding out about healthy, intellectual passions early?

I think of this sense of focus as being part of my son's makeup, like his introversion and his eye color. It's easier to accept it and even embrace it so we can use it for his growth and development than it would ever be to try to change it.

Stepping off my soapbox now...blush

Last edited by Kriston; 07/11/08 05:02 PM. Reason: And if they do dig in their heels and refuse to take math or whatever isn't their passion, well then that's a problem with the subject that's not their passion. It's not a reason to eliminate the passion. There's a big difference there!

Kriston
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...