Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I think DS did (in K) and will continue to demonstrate his ability in the classroom, but part of the problem here will be the level to which he can demonstrate. That is, if he is only ASKED to demonstrate to 1st grade level (in a typical 1st grade classroom), but the WIAT places his abilities from those of an average 4th grade through over 12th grader (yes, I realize that I need to take AE and GEs with a grain of salt), CAN he demonstrate his full abilities? I am guessing that he cannot. I am guessing we run into the "but he's at the 99th percentile" (for grade) scenario again.

Unfortunately, the policy then goes onto describe the current practices described earlier in the thread with the 3rd grade identification. Interestingly, the practices for K-2 still discuss the use of enrichment, but as I've mentioned earlier - from what other parents have told me, this enrichment resource is now being diverted towards the "Common Core." The policy listed does not mention this. Also, NOTHING is mentioned about math.

I
    I
    I think DS did (in K) and will continue to demonstrate his ability in the classroom
    In speaking with the teacher/school/district, you may wish to point this out in light of their policy statement which you quoted earlier.

I am guessing we run into the "but he's at the 99th percentile" (for grade) scenario again.
    If that comes up, some may say a stock response is to share the problems inherent in lack of academic/intellectual growth, remaining focused on what can be done to define and meet your child's academic needs in the classroom.

the practices for K-2 still discuss the use of enrichment
    You may wish to explore with the teacher/school/district, what enrichment their policy alludes to. As long as the current, published policy makes these statements, parents may hold the teacher/school/district accountable to abide by them. If you have reason to believe the policy and practice statements may be changing, you may wish to print the current statements as these help define the environment in which advocacy takes place.

Wishing you all the best as you decide whether to proceed.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you, everyone!!!

I'll think at this point, I'm going to wait and see who the teacher is, and will go from there. I am kind of hoping that DS's K teacher DID talk to the 1st grade teacher (blackcat, again - that is so GREAT that your did this!!!), because I think by the end of K - the teacher really understood him. The school does have some excellent teachers.

I would prefer to NOT have to share test scores, really. On the other hand, if the school were to actually read and understand them, I think they might understand my concern about the upcoming year. I am a bit torn on this one, and I am actually favoring staying quiet - at least for a while - right now.

Again, thank you!!!

B
    B
    Sending you a PM...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM