Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by cbls
    aeh

There is a section called composite score difference, the results are listed VCI-PRI, VCI-WMI and so on, however there are 6 scores not 4.
    Actually, you've since posted the composite scores, so this is taken care of! I was trying to find another place in your report that might list them. These six lines are the comparisons between the four index scores, and are how the evaluator determines whether there are significant differences in his areas of cognitive ability. It's where he got the comment you list below:
    This is what was written regarding the WMI and DSF/DSB

The largest discrepancy between scores (28 points) was between his Perceptual Reasoning Index and his Working Memory Index. A difference of this magnitude is statistically significant and rare, as it is found in less than 4% of the standardization sample
    He performed at an average level when number series were presented forward (five digits; 50th percentile), but exhibited above average skills when he was asked to recite them backwards (four digits; 91st percentile)
    This is a moderately significant difference of about one and a third standard deviations between forwards and backwards, but even the DSF is solidly average. His interpretation of the difference is plausible.
    Should I have him correct the narrative as well as the scoring? He's been very resistant to any of our questions about the scores so I'm trying to put together the appropriate data to give him.
    The snippets you have shown us are actually okay. Does he discuss the GAI and FSIQ in the narrative? That's the part that needs correction.
    *I had found the date table from the WISC online and mentioned to him that I found ds GAI to be 142 not 135 but he told me I was incorrect. I'm glad to see that while I may not be gifted I can at least read a data table correctly :-)
    If you had been to graduate school with some of the people I have met in my coursework over the years--or read some of the reports I've received from sending schools, you would know that, unfortunately, the same cannot be said of some of my respected colleagues!

Last edited by aeh; 08/07/14 07:09 PM. Reason: grammar, spaces

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    cbls Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    aeh and Frank22

Thank you so much for taking the time to check this and explain it to me. This has been a frustrating experience for us and with the school year so close we just want to make sure the school has the correct report so we can get the appropriate placement for our son. The past two years at school have been a disaster, hopefully the testing results will give them something concrete to work with and help in understanding how our ds learns.

I will be calling the psychologist tomorrow and address the discrepancies making sure he at least corrects the transposed numbers.

I really can't thank you enough :-)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    My pleasure. Hope it all works out for your son!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    F
    F
    I hope I was able to help. Good luck!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets