Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    #105 03/17/06 04:11 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Hi Mary Beth -

From what I am reading, it doesn't seem to me that your son has any behavioral issues. The only thing I see is stubborness, but that might just be because of his age. Anyway, I am *no* expert, so there is probably more than meets the eye.

I am not sure what you mean by "intense". Is this something you have witnessed or the way a teacher described it to you? I wonder because if a teacher is not used to working with a child that is precocious then she might very well find him intense and/or disruptive (especially if he is bored and has found a way to be engaged, e.g. "directing" during circle time).

Yes, he sounds a bit like my daughter. She loves tell stories and talk. And she likes to get others interested in what she wants to do (which, currently, has been role playing or puppet shows). Unfortunately, most kids her age don't really understand what it is she is doing. They are still mostly in parallel play. And older kids just think that she is a cute baby, so they either ignore her or act like she is puppy. Sometimes, she get's lucky and she jsut *clicks* with another child!

The perfectionism issues can be tough, especially, since he hides his abilities until he is 100% comfortable with them. My daughter does this to an extent and it, often, makes me wonder if I imagined X. A lot of kids who are gifted in math, don't always read right away. In fact most kids don't really start reading until about 1st grade. So, it's okay if he isn't reading.

What "milestones" is the preschool looking for? Have you considered having your son go to a Play-Based preschool (versus an academic-based preschool)? It sounds like your so is in the latter type of preschool and if that isn't working out for him, a play-based school might be perfect. It'll give him a chance to learn by playing and hone his social skills. The pressure to perform will (hopefully) be lessened and he might be more forthcoming with his skills because it is *fun* and not because he *has* to be.

Have you checked out the Ruf Estimated Levels of Giftedness? Here's the link: http://www.educationaloptions.com/levels_giftedness.htm
    It will help give you an idea of where your son is a la giftedness. He may not fit everything in a particular category and that's okay.

I have learned a few things on my journey to learn more about giftedness. The first is all tests are not one size fits all. I recommend that you go to the Hoagies' Gifted Education Page (http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/) and search on testing. This is one of the best sites on giftedness out there. (I, personally, think it's the best). They, also, have info on homeschooling and other resources (like books), available.

There are plenty of educational options available. Montessori (http://www.montessori.edu/) is a great option, but you will want to look into how strictly they adhere to the Montessori method. Do they allow for flexibility? For example, since your son is already doing basic math will they have him continually practice his numbers or will they let him progress from the level he is already at? Also, be sure that they let you audit the classroom from time to time. If they don't encourage parental involvement or try to make auditing the classroom difficult, then they are probably not a place you want your child in. (This pretty much applies to all preschools.)

Homeschooling does not have to be a solitary endeavor and can be fairly social. Check out the following links for HS reasources in your area: Regional and Worlwide Homeschooling A-Z: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/regional/Indiana.htm
    Yahoo! groups at groups.yahoo.com (just do a search on Indiana and homeschool).
    Homeschool Blogger: www.homeschoolblogger.com

There are many resources and support groups available for homeschooling. You might be surprised. Try asking around at your local library as they may have a dedicated bulletin board, information and/or special events for homeschoolers.

Each state has different specific rules about homeschoolng. Be sure to look them up. Some want you to have a prepared cirriculum and to keep records others just want you to have a particular number of hours in a given year. It really varies.

Homeschooling doesn't mean that you *have* to spend 8 hours at home doing schoolwork, or that you have to strictly follow a set cirriculum, which by the way is something that you probably don't want to do with your son.) You can be more flexible and go to a museum and learn about art, for example.

Joining a local sports league or cub scouts or 4-H or taking classes like art or karate or just getting together a couple times a week with some friends, etc are all great for socialization. Special events at your local library, street fairs, etc., etc. are all great ways to be social, too.

I hope some of this is helpful. I'll be happy to provide more resources, answer questions and/or just provide information and support. I'm new at this, too. :-)

Most importantly, be sure to enjoy the wild ride!
    Maria

Any more cute stories about our amazing kids? I could use a giggle....
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    It's kinda strange. If you suspect it, then imo, most likely your kid **IS** gifted.

For my first born, Rite15, it was clear from day one. He was holding his head up, making eye contact, flipping over from front to back...etc...before we even left the hospital after his birth. He was barking to imitate a dog at 5 months and said his first word "woof woof" at 7, which was followed immediately by a whole slew of uncountable words. He was speaking in full sentences and telling stories at his first birthday and showing signs of deep contemplation long before his second. (I think I posted the story of his asking me if the moon was a whole or a ball, when he was 19 months old).

Yup. With Rite it was just so very clear and still is. He's a phenomenal kid.

Mite on the other hand wasn't so obvious. I knew he was very bright. He started singing at 8.5 months (the Barney Song, which made me NUTS) then other songs and words quickly followed. What happened with him is he stopped. After that it was never clear again. I did feel when he was just under 3 that he was reading...really reading...his brother's chapter books, but he would never read aloud. His verbal skills were always very precocious and showed signs of a high ability child, but then other aspects of his development were more hidden....like couldn't write and such. Turns out in the "stats" he scores as high, maybe even higher, than Rite! I always felt there was something there, but never pursued it with him because I didn't follow my gut.

So, it is tricky thing. I still contend that it YOU feel your child is gifted, it is very likely s/he IS!! Follow your gut.

And for Trin an obligatory cute story...when Rite was 6 or 7 he was teasing his dad, who has a PhD. Rite said, "You have a PhD! D...get it PhDEEEEE for Dumb!!" Then he said, "I have a PhJ. Get it J for genius!"

;^)

Willa Gayle
    A
    A
    I have a giggle! When my son was almost 2, he started repeating "Oh my God"...I think he heard it from a teenaged cousin or something. I, of course, was trying to correct this. So I told him if he needed to say it he should say "Oh my gosh" instead. One day he let it slip...I asked, "What did you say?" He said, "Gotch! I said 'Oh my gotch'". I just looked at him. He paused for a moment and said, "It's French for God." hehe

G
    G
    Oh, these are priceless. I love hearing these stories!

Since you twisted my arm (grin), here are a couple giggles from the past week:

DD6, talking about a play date with a friend: "She let me use some of her makeup. Just some lipstick. She was really nice. Except (pause, adapting a sad tone) I accidentally dissected her lipstick."

Me: "What do you mean? How did you 'dissect' her lipstick?"

Then DD6 described how she "accidentally" took the whole thing apart, and what the little parts inside the tube looked like.

DD6, to her siblings: "What's 2 minus 12?"
    DS8: "You can't take 12 away from 2. You have to take 2 away from 12."
    DD6: "Hunh-unh, that's not true. You CAN take 12 away from 2. The answer would be (brief pause) Negative 10."
    DD12: "Actually she's right."
    DD6: "The ones under zero are the negative numbers."
    Me: "Who taught you about negative numbers?"
    DD6: "Nobody. I just figured it out myself. It's like zero is the ground. The negative numbers have to live underground, with the bugs and stuff. And the other numbers live above the ground."

GG

S
    S
    I have read that 80% of parents are correct when they believe their child is gifted. With those odds, if you believe it, it is probably true so act accordingly.
    My son is 15 months and we say he is "tracking as highly gifted" since formal testing can not be done at this point. We have had a 2 hour phone conversation about our ds with Dr. Ruf and it opened my eyes so much!
    As far as what we have done differently - we definitely pay more attention to the environment that he is in. Because he is in daycare/preschool we make sure he is in a place that allows him to progress by his development, not by his age. We have also found a school he will begin in the fall and hopefully stay through age 12. I am very happy we started looking early because it took us quite a long time to find (even though it is just 10 minutes from our home).
    There is so much information that is out there and knowing my son was gifted early allowed us to get a good start and a good handle of the possible things we will face in the future. It also helped us know when the shack "advice" off. For instance, young gifted children are often labeled as "spoiled" by others and many people assume parents have pushed the child into learning. Knowing these are common themes, when we face them (as we have already) we don't let it get us down or have us second guess ourselves. That, in itself, it a blessing.
    So, definitely assume your little one is gifted. And for now, let her continue to do what she is doing, but for you - maybe doing lots of reading about giftedness, learning about your school situation EARLY (will she be allowed to start Kindergarten early, are grade skips possible, etc.), and definitely try to find other parents (we are still working on this one :)).

J
    J
    My kid giggles for the last week...

DS7 has been having problems with a classmate. We were discussing coping strategies, including avoiding her, and I suggested that if she stands next to him in line he could just move to the end of the line. He agreed that was a good idea and then said,

"But mom, that's not going to work if I am the penultimate person in line."

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Jill
    "But mom, that's not going to work if I am the penultimate person in line."

Jill, this made me laugh. Thanks for sharing the story. :-)

GG

M
    M
    I'm enjoying the giggles too --- I may have shared this before though.....

DS was 5 and we had already given up pre-reading all his books as he was reading so much - and was mostly into nonfiction anyway. Loved meteorology and geography. I'm probably giving away the punchline by typing this rather than saying it aloud....

Anyway, we bought him a geography book one day at a flea market. In the back seat on the way home, he informed us that Tennesee was the dammedest state in the country. My family is from Tennessee and we don't use that kind of language in our family - so I had a couple of concerns about this.

Where did you hear that?

Right here in my book. Says Tennessee is the dammedest state in the world.

Son, can you please read me word for word what the book says?

"There are more hydroelectric plants in the Tennessee Valley than in any other part of the world."

Mary

Mary
    G
    G
    LOL, Mary, that's a classic. You did share it once before but I enjoyed it just as much the second time! You should send that one in to Reader's Digest.

GG

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM