Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    I can't speak for them, but I assume that neither the GT nor the Honors track students would feel discrimination because the point of AVID in our district is to improve those students who couldn't qualify for the GT or honors tracks so that despite their "low beginnings" they end up taking an honors course or two or even an AP course by their Junior or Senior years. (emphasis added)
    Some may say that is an interesting re-framing of the question, as the original focus was related to "a ton of scholarship money" you stated is awarded to these students... by participation in a program which you describe as excluding gifted students. You did not describe any similar support programs/services leading to provision of scholarships to gifted, therefore both the support services and "a ton of scholarship money" seem to provide advantage or privilege to the AVID students? Might some of the gifted students feel badly that they are denied access to the program which you describe as providing leading to "a ton of scholarship money"?

Additionally some may say it is wise not to assume. smile

Last edited by indigo; 08/09/14 04:31 AM. Reason: clarity
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I think the main problem with menial jobs is the menial treatment. The pay is just insult to injury.

For instance, I once had the misfortune to overhear a woman at the next table berate our young waiter because apparently it's his fault that the English language does not contain a proper plural form of the word "you," and this man chose to use the locally-accepted colloquial form, "you guys." Apparently, a good waiter travels back to the 1750s and asks Mr. Webster to address this oversight with a gender-neutral form, and keeps the drinks full.

And sometimes menial labor adds injury to injury, too.

Having performed in more professional settings where there were literally lives on the line, I have to say I actually like that kind of pressure, because it means you're doing something important. Nowadays, I have to settle for the fact that there are only billions of dollars on the line. Ho hum.

I think people have become ruder and meaner. There is less cordiality, even in a professional setting. Then there are the crazies. . .

When I was younger, I enjoyed the respect and sometimes even felt proud that people trusted me to make decisions for them. Maybe I burned out as I have gotten older, but it sometimes became a burden to come up with the right answers, knowing that you can really mess up someone's life.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    However, I have to say that there have been times working as a professional when I would have preferred to do menial labor BUT FOR the low pay, which I think is the main problem with menial jobs.

I think the low pay is a huge part of the point. Some people have no choice but to take those jobs and to try to survive on what they pay. Sure, office jobs can create horrible stress. But it's not the same league as the stress that people experience when they have to decide between paying the rent and buying a necessary medicine.

Oh, I won't argue with that. Were it not for our professional pay and the accompanying (relatively) good health insurance benefits, we could never have afforded hundreds of thousands in medical costs for my oldest.

M
    M
    I think this thread has run its course.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students