Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #189983 05/02/14 11:35 AM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Hi all,

Trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel here. I am in Southern NH and I'm at the beginning of this journey with DS6. I realize that gifted ed is pretty atrocious here. For those who have gone down this road, I'm looking for help with:
    * Any area schools (there's a charter in Manchester and one in Nashua- feedback?)
    * Acceleration- have you made it happen?
    * GIEP-- I'm assuming not possible but thought I'd ask
    * unique public school experiences that have worked
    * homeschooling resources locally

Feel free to message me if you are more comfortable!
    Thanks so much!!

Last edited by KTPie; 05/02/14 01:17 PM.
    KTPie #190000 05/02/14 01:53 PM
    We were underwhelmed with the charter in Manchester. It's run by people who ran a tiny, failed local gifted school (Scholar's Academy). I attended formation meetings and there didn't seem to be much direction at that point, plus there seemed to be adherence to some questionable educational ideas on the part of some attendees of the meetings, at least.

The formers of the new charter seem to have done it to secure guaranteed slots for their own kids, but don't seem to have the best handle on gifted education in my view. NH law apparently provides that a school can't be restricted just to gifted children, or so they claimed. Children are segregated loosely by age, or were; when we visited, we saw some children seated in a semicircle being read to by the teacher, in a big, mostly empty room.

GIEPs don't exist in NH.

We got some acceleration from the local school, a grade skip and additional subject acceleration in math. Our son was given to a series of teachers who didn't have a strong math background and graded some work incorrectly. We repeatedly heard that children need to go "broader rather than deeper"; at a couple of points it was suggested that our son read about famous mathematicians instead of learning new math; and in general, despite efforts to be flexible, it became apparent that the local district just wasn't set up to cater to highly gifted kids, due to a focus on the slowest common denominator. District-wide, for example, there has been a focus on excessive math-facts drill for the first month or two every year lately.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    KTPie #190007 05/02/14 02:15 PM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thank you SO much, lucounu. I had actually heard a similar review of the new charter so I can cross that one off of my list to save time smile

KTPie #190019 05/02/14 09:51 PM
    S
    S
    Glad to have read this because we were looking at the charter also. Are there any schools in Southern NH that are more open to providing services for gifted than not? Any that have teachers certified in gifted? We are considering Exeter and Bedford area schools and insight into those is much appreciated.

KTPie #190043 05/03/14 12:01 PM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I know that there is an educational consultant in Bedford named Maureen Egan. I haven't contacted her yet but I have her info if you'd like it. Her email is MaureenEgan@NorthStarEd.org

KTPie #190086 05/04/14 06:41 AM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Exeter is beautiful!

I live very close to Bedford and have heard good things from friends, however, I don't know anyone (yet) locally who has gifted kids so I can't speak to that.

KTPie #190106 05/04/14 08:30 PM
    S
    S
    Thank you. I have the testing data from our current state. I wonder if Bedford would accept that. Love Exeter! Just concerned that there is no formal gifted program and wonder what opportunities they have or teachers with knowledge/experience with gifted kiddos.

KTPie #190113 05/05/14 05:38 AM
    K
    KTPie Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I would think they would honor testing as long as it is recent. Is there a formal gifted program in Bedford?

KTPie #190132 05/05/14 09:20 AM
    S
    S
    From my research, Bedford has formal program S.E.E.D and accelerated math. But, I can't find out any details on them from the website.

KTPie #197423 07/30/14 08:40 AM
    A
    A
    We are going through the same thing now. I am a teacher, but currently home. Our district is atrocious so we are considering a move to southern NH or to southern Maine. While Maine has a gifted ed mandate, you have to be careful how it is rolled out. They also are allowed to simply look at test scores and grades and fill their gifted programs with those children (showing a lack of understanding of giftedness). Londonderry has a decent gifted program, as does Merrimack. but decent only in that something exists at the elementary level as well. And it is generally pull-outs. The problem with that is teachers feel less pressure to differentiate when the child already is in a program (even once or twice a week) and gifted children are not simply gifted one hour a week. So NH is such a disappointment in this area. People assume that because gifted kids have the potential to do well in certain areas, they can just take care of themselves. All kids need individualized instruction. I'm disappointed to hear about the charter schools being poor. Financially I need to get back to work and I was hoping to find a good match for my kids. My oldest started reading at 2.5 (etc) and doesn't make the age cut-off so won't be allowed in to Kinder until he is almost 6! Not okay. Looking more and more like I will have to homeschool. Not sure what that means for our retirement or financial lives. Very stressful :(

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations