Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #196946 07/22/14 04:33 PM
    Mrs. S. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have a 4-year-old that taught himself to read. He reads at a 4th grade reading level and is currently teaching himself to read in Spanish. He also does well at math. He can do some multiplication. There are not gifted and talented schools in the area and I have no idea what to do with him. He has not been officially labelled as gifted and talented. I wouldn't even know where to start. We live in Michigan. Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Welcome! It does seem overwhelming at times doesn't it. We found great resources at our library when our daughters were that age. We also went to the book store and bought a bunch of educational books for kindergarten through 3rd grade to give a range of stuff to do.
    Mostly, we read a lot about what it means to raise a gifted kid. Books by James deLisle are great, the resources on the Davidson Institute's page are also very helpful.
    We usually just ended up hanging on for the ride and trying hard to keep up with our girls and giving them opportunities to express their creativity and explore things in different ways. For example, we did observations about bugs in our yard and then they made books about the bugs which included drawings they made, notes they took, information they found on the internet or in books as well as stories they wrote about an adventure the bug went on and poetry about the bug. You would be amazed what they can come up with based on 1 little bug. (We also tried to make a habitat for it, but that didn't work too well, so we let it go before it died.)

I
    I
    Welcome! You've received some great tips already. I'll just add that you may wish to begin looking into additional resources available such as:
    - Hoagies Gifted Education Page
    - SENG (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted)
    - Great Potential Press
    - Prufrock Press
    - free spirit publishing
    - Magination Press
    - Social Networking groups http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10563.aspx

More in this recent post which may be of interest.

Also PM'd you.

P
    P
    Welcome! This reminds me of our own struggle especially for my DS (now entering high school); for DD we were experienced :-). We provided lots of learning opportunities at home and their play-based daycare center was very permissive and supportive. Basically you would do fine following your son's lead and provide him with what he needs in learning. It's the school that's tricky. Things will certainly be different for each school district or even for each teacher. We have been to two districts, neither with a GT program even though both are incredibly strong districts. The rationale is that there would be too many students qualified for a GT program if there were one. So the schools would focus on in-classroom differentiation instead of developing a stand-alone GT program. Then you can imagine the in-classroom differentation really doesn't do much other than providing a few enrichment activities around the regular curriculum. We also have never met any teacher who could truly challenge our kids at the level that they need. So my suggestion is to assess the situation early, talk to parents with similar kids (if you know of any), check out local GT organizations and connect with the families there, use the resources online (like those already suggested by others), read GT education books. But keep in mind that it is possible that you will need to build an educational environment for your son with little support from your local schools. Also, check out if there are GT private schools. (Our area has two but neither meets our needs.) But it will be a very exciting journey for you and your child no matter what!

Last edited by playandlearn; 07/27/14 06:51 AM.
    K
    K
    In Michigan specifically, the GT Resource Network is an advocacy group which I know runs summer camps for gifted students at Calvin College in math.

Also try the Michigan Association for Gifted Kids: http://migiftedchild.org/resources/

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations