Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by 22B
    No it wouldn't explain anything. That was just a paranthetical comment to refer to the appropriate measure of ability. In almost any endeavour, achievement comes from a combination of ability and effort, and while effort can make up some ground, there is a limit to that.

When talking about IQ, the appropriate measure of ability is IQ.

Originally Posted by 22B
    This essentially implies that people in the top 0.1% (i.e. at least +3SD above average) are all essentially at the same level of ability

No, it doesn't. It implies that normal distributions are normal. You responded with the absurdity that 1 in 1 billion mathematical talents show up at Los Angeles high schools every few years, validating my comment earlier that you don't seem to understand how distributions work.

22B Offline
    Here is an article that alludes to the possibility of burnout in math competitions.
    http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Resources/articles.php?page=pc_competitions
    (I'm still skeptical of the story that the OP's son's friends, mother's friend's son dropped out before college due to math competition burnout, and not a combination of other reasons. But anyway, the story prompts an interesting discussion.)

Like many things, there's a question of balance. Even with high ability, effort/training/preparation/practice can be important for achievement/success. Too much exertion can lead to burnout, and at the same time no amount of exertion can make up for a too large difference in ability. (I mean, only an idiot would think that 10,000 hours of practice could make them a world class golfer if they weren't already at an extremely high level.) In a competitive activity, sometimes instead of trying to be the best, you should be happy with your best. And it's okay to quit activities that are no longer rewarding.

Activities like gymnastics, chess, ballet, sport, music, etc. should be the right combination of challenge and fun. But very few make a career out of these. Competing in math contests isn't a career either (though it can help one). But while someone at the 99.9th %ile (of math ability) isn't going to make it at the highest levels of math competitions, someone at the 80th or 90th %ile can have a rewarding career that makes use of their level of math ability. It's a question of perspective.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    No, it doesn't. It implies that normal distributions are normal. You responded with the absurdity that 1 in 1 billion mathematical talents show up at Los Angeles high schools every few years, validating my comment earlier that you don't seem to understand how distributions work.

My understanding is that the tail ends of IQ bell curves are fatter than expected with a strictly conforming normal distribution. Also, IQ may not be distributed normally in different locations. For example, it's reasonable to expect that people at the right side will gather in urban areas.

C
    C
    You're assuming there is a meaningful notion of maths ability that's independent of effort. I don't believe this. How could you possibly define, let alone measure, such a thing?

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    You're assuming there is a meaningful notion of maths ability that's independent of effort. I don't believe this. How could you possibly define, let alone measure, such a thing?

But this idea applies to literally everything (you can't measure ability to learn a language until you measure what a student can learn after a certain amount of effort). Yet we still have ways of estimating ability. IQ is one of them.

Actually, now that I thInk about it, brain scans may be starting to reveal some of this kind of information.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    But this idea applies to literally everything (you can't measure ability to learn a language until you measure what a student can learn after a certain amount of effort). Yet we still have ways of estimating ability. IQ is one of them.

Actually, now that I thInk about it, brain scans may be starting to reveal some of this kind of information.
    Right. The fact that some people are intrinsically more able that other people at certain things is just part of the way the world is. Just because a "thing" like ability may be hard to pin down, doesn't mean it's not a "thing".

As to be not clearly stating assumptions, okay, mea culpa. ColinsMum's and JonLaw's objections are legitimate, but it's just an internet forum, so I like to say things succinctly, and let people fill in the gaps.

As to Dude's objection to my statistics:
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Each year, the IMO will have a few dozen contestants at at least +5SD, and will occasionally have a +6SD contestant. (This is talking about math ability, not IQ per se.)
    Consider what the "I" in IMO stands for.

Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Each year, the IMO will have a few dozen contestants at at least +5SD, and will occasionally have a +6SD contestant. (This is talking about math ability, not IQ per se.)

In??

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    In??
    -ternational.

I
    I
    (5th grade). Real superstar. He was very focused on math, then by high school, he had burnt out. Did not go to college. No longer does math anything.
    Yes, gifted kids can burn out. Related topics may be perfectionism, underachievement, fixed mindset, existential angst, and differentiated task demands.

Antidotes may include:
    - Developing internal locus of control.
    - Receiving affirmation/validation.
    - Developing a growth mindset (Dweck).
    - Webb's book Search for Meaning

Regarding a parent who may mention a cautionary tale about a gifted kiddo's burn-out seemingly out of the blue, some may not think of this parent's actions as engaging in schadenfreude, but rather an act of outreach, an insider's acknowledgement that gifted kids are an at-risk population, and raising a gifted child may be like a wild roller-coaster ride with its ups and downs, hairpin turns, and life turned upside down at times.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    One wonders, though, whether or not such intervention is also directed at stage parents and sports ones. {sigh} I'm guessing not so much, actually.

I know this was a rhetorical question but I'm beginning to wonder if people in general are just as judgmental with stage moms or sports parents but most don't want to come out and say "you cannot live your dream through your child."

When they see an academically advanced child, I don't think the common reaction is, "Oh poor little child, her parents failed to get a tenured professorship so they are trying to live their dream through their child." They probably think they have overzealous parents who need to back off and telling someone to back off is easier than telling someone to give up their dream.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM