Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I would expect that PG/EG participants in math competitions find themselves up against other PG/EG participants in short order, at which point the number hours of study and practice become a significant determining factor in success. Once "Who wants it more?" is a major part of the activity, it becomes very easy for someone to say, "Not me," or, "Eh... I want it, but not that badly."

This is not right. If you are talking about top 0.1%, then that's +3SD to +6SD (or a bit higher) which is a huge range. There's only so much ground that can be made up with effort.

LAUSD has more than 640,000 students, according to its own website. Of those, approximately 140,000 are enrolled in high school. The top 0.1% of this population would be 140 students. Assuming half of these best-and-brightest are entered into a district math competition (some because they're intrinsically motivated, some to pad their transcripts, and some because they're pushed by adults), that's 70 students at different grade levels competing for one prize, every single one of which is EG or higher.

And that's just for a local prize.

Originally Posted by 22B
    I would expect that PG/EG participants in math competitions find themselves up against other PG/EG participants in short order, at which point the number hours of study and practice become a significant determining factor in success. Once "Who wants it more?" is a major part of the activity, it becomes very easy for someone to say, "Not me," or, "Eh... I want it, but not that badly."

This is not right. If you are talking about top 0.1%, then that's +3SD to +6SD (or a bit higher) which is a huge range. There's only so much ground that can be made up with effort.

I wonder if math competitions are a good example here.

You can't really change your computational speed with effort.

I suppose you can learn some mathy tricks to take advantage of mathy shortcuts.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    LAUSD has more than 640,000 students, according to its own website. Of those, approximately 140,000 are enrolled in high school. The top 0.1% of this population would be 140 students. Assuming half of these best-and-brightest are entered into a district math competition (some because they're intrinsically motivated, some to pad their transcripts, and some because they're pushed by adults), that's 70 students at different grade levels competing for one prize, every single one of which is EG or higher.
    And that's just for a local prize.
    I think you missed my point. Your post suggested that the top 0.1% are all at basically the same level (so that "the number hours of study and practice [would] become a significant determining factor in success.") But there is as much of a range of ability in the top 0.1% as there is in the next 49.9%.

Originally Posted by 22B
    I think you missed my point. Your post suggested that the top 0.1% are all at basically the same level (so that "the number hours of study and practice [would] become a significant determining factor in success.") But there is as much of a range of ability in the top 0.1% as there is in the next 49.9%.

Pics or it didn't happen.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by 22B
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

Originally Posted by 22B

I didn't miss your point, but I think you're misunderstanding how distributions work.

Assuming a distribution of talent that conforms perfectly to statistical odds, there won't be any +6 or +5SD students in this hypothetical competition, because they're too rare (1:1 billion and 1:3.5 million, respectively). You'd have 4-5 students of IQ 160, and about 20 others or so who are within +/- 5 IQ points of them, all of whom are close enough in cognitive ability that it has a negligible influence on the ultimate outcome. Other factors become more important.

Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Originally Posted by 22B
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

That's not the appropriate pic.

I'm pretty sure that the actual tail is fat.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I didn't miss your point, but I think you're misunderstanding how distributions work.

Assuming a distribution of talent that conforms perfectly to statistical odds, there won't be any +6 or +5SD students in this hypothetical competition, because they're too rare (1:1 billion and 1:3.5 million, respectively). You'd have 4-5 students of IQ 160, and about 20 others or so who are within +/- 5 IQ points of them, all of whom are close enough in cognitive ability that it has a negligible influence on the ultimate outcome. Other factors become more important.
    Each year, the IMO will have a few dozen contestants at at least +5SD, and will occasionally have a +6SD contestant. (This is talking about math ability, not IQ per se.)

Originally Posted by 22B
    (This is talking about math ability, not IQ per se.)

Then that would explain why we seem to be talking past each other, because I was quite clearly talking about IQ all along.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    (This is talking about math ability, not IQ per se.)
    Then that would explain why we seem to be talking past each other, because I was quite clearly talking about IQ all along.
    No it wouldn't explain anything. That was just a paranthetical comment to refer to the appropriate measure of ability. In almost any endeavour, achievement comes from a combination of ability and effort, and while effort can make up some ground, there is a limit to that.

You made this comment.

This essentially implies that people in the top 0.1% (i.e. at least +3SD above average) are all essentially at the same level of ability (and for this argument, "ability in what?" doesn't really matter). They're not at the same level of ability at all. There is as much difference between +6SD and +3SD as there is between +3SD and +0SD (average). While effort will certainly make a difference, it can't make up for huge differences in ability, for many types of endeavours.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM