Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
    22B Offline
    Is this the most recent case of a fake PG child? It seems like an extremely rare phenomenon.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Portia
    As I read through this, I felt sad on many levels.

We, too, struggle with how much is too much and how much is too little. Do you go with time or content? Where is hot-housing versus work ethic? It is a fine line.
    Yes, but fabricating test scores as the mother did is a bright red line not to cross.

Agreed.

I can't even remotely identify with so much of her behavior-- even leading up TO that point. To the point that I have trouble identifying with ANY of it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by Portia
    As I read through this, I felt sad on many levels.

We, too, struggle with how much is too much and how much is too little. Do you go with time or content? Where is hot-housing versus work ethic? It is a fine line.
    Yes, but fabricating test scores as the mother did is a bright red line not to cross.
    Pushing or hot housing a child is one thing (not unethical though not desirable). But, copying your neighbor's son's SAT scores and claiming them as your son's, emailing "experts" posing as your son etc are acts of a parent who is deranged and has lost perspective. I do think that this child is very gifted to be able to make so many presentations in conferences in front of so many "experts" and sound convincing enough to fool them all.
    I remember Justin's story from a long time ago and never followed it up. Wondering if he is doing well now (he must be an adult by now?).

L
    L
    A very old thread that was bumped!

An extremely rare phenomenon, but also extremely potentially damaging to bright children who DO need something different.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Is this the most recent case of a fake PG child? It seems like an extremely rare phenomenon.

I suspect that this case was merely the most extreme to date. Otherwise, if you think about all the test prep that goes into admissions for gifted schools, crafting a gifted child is a common phenomenon. Think about it: the kindergarten test prep industry in New York City is huge. Most of these people are probably faking up MG children, but I suspect that more people would fake HG+ if they could get away with it.

And let's not forget that everyone has to go to college and everyone has to be HG+ in many American high schools. This trend presumably leads many parental units to test prep, giftedness fakery, and all sorts of other educational malfeasance.

In reading the story in the Denver paper, I was surprised that so many people seem to have ignored so many bright red flags: his first college class was the same one his mother was taking, she was answering for him during an IQ test (?!?), a lot of his learning was done online (i.e., easy for mom to do the work), there was no test center listed on his SAT scores, etc. etc.

And an IQ of 298? On a Wechsler exam? How could anyone have taken that number seriously? How would you even test for it using the standard exams, which falter at scores way, way below 200? According to this table of IQ percentiles, an IQ of 202 is expected in one person in nearly 200 billion. I suspect that this number isn't accurate (otherwise, Marilyn vos Savant and Chris Langan being alive at the same time in this general area of our galaxy would be statistical impossibilities), but it gives an idea of how rare a score of 298 would be (unless there really are crazy smart Vulcans living in the 40 Eridani A star system, that is).

Last edited by Val; 07/11/14 10:42 AM.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I can't even remotely identify with so much of her behavior

I agree WRT that particular case. (Even if he had turned out to be a super-genius, and she hadn't faked anything. Speaking engagements? Press interviews? College at age 6? WTF?) I was thinking more of the 2008 dicussion that resulted among members of this board.

B
    B
    The frustrating thing about someone who so publicly fakes this is how it affects the kids that are HG+. It's bad press and can set up a lot of skepticism in teachers, administrators and other parents.

O
    O
    That is such a sad story! That poor kid.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by 22B

I suspect that this case was merely the most extreme to date. Otherwise, if you think about all the test prep that goes into admissions for gifted schools, crafting a gifted child is a common phenomenon. Think about it: the kindergarten test prep industry in New York City is huge. Most of these people are probably faking up MG children, but I suspect that more people would fake HG+ if they could get away with it.

And let's not forget that everyone has to go to college and everyone has to be HG+ in many American high schools. This trend presumably leads many parental units to test prep, giftedness fakery, and all sorts of other educational malfeasance.

Okay, it's the extremely rare tip of a much larger, less extreme iceberg.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    And an IQ of 298? On a Wechsler exam? How could anyone have taken that number seriously? How would you even test for it using the standard exams, which falter at scores way, way below 200?
    The score was from the Stanford Binet L-M -- see http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/justin/3.shtml .

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM