Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #196170 07/10/14 04:56 AM
    OP Offline
    Anyone with a 14 y.o. boy found any great books lately?

Ds is an advanced reader, but goes super slow through almost any book. He whipped through his most recent favorite 'ready player one', so I am not too worried about vision, etc., but other than manga (ex: Saints/Boxers) he really seems to go very slowly through most books and sometimes stalls out entirely.
    I offer things like The Hobbit, all the weird sci fi and fantasy stuff I read when I was around 12-16, but not much of it clicks for him.

things that keep his interest:
    video games (older ones if possible - so Ready Player One was an ENORMOUS hit)
    stuff that is funny
    science presented in a cool way; he loved the Secret key to the universe books when he was 11 or 12...

anyway, books for him to ENJOY seem very thin on the ground, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ps, for anyone else who enjoyed this book, "Ready Player One", and I'm among those who did...the author is coming out with another book, but man it's a ways off. smirk

Last edited by chris1234; 07/10/14 04:59 AM.
    C
    C
    Not sure if you're concerned at all about content, but he may also enjoy Daemon and the sequel Freedom. They are both "what if computers took over the world" sort of fiction, but there are some graphic deaths. I read it right around the same time as Ready Player One and found them similar but from different perspectives. Kill Decision, by the same author, would also fall into the science in a cool (and scary) way!

Is he into Minecraft? My son enjoyed Minecraft: The Unlikely Tale of Markus Pierson.

For science in a cool way,

Sometimes I'll use Amazon for situations like this. If you type in the name of a book you enjoyed it will pop up more books like that one. It will also suggest 2 more books that others have purchased that also purchased the book you enjoyed. This can at least give you some ideas or give you a place to start looking.

OP Offline
    Thanks, I did know about amazon's suggestions, but it's been a while since I tried it for this, good idea!

I will definitely check out Daemon, etc., CaMom, thanks!

B
    B
    There were a ton of good suggestions made on my post a few weeks ago:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/195285/1.html

OP Offline
    Hi, just writing back to state I got the book Daemon, and started it myself to make sure it was ok for him.

*spoilers*
    Unfortunately I couldn't get past page 50 or so because there is a rape scene that, while perhaps something older teens could handle, for me was a deal breaker*. I put the book down, and then later threw it out I was so disgusted. I don't throw books out.
    I talked to my dh about it, and he agreed there are ways to make a book gripping without resorting to this most horrific of situations. (to me, really more horrible than considering someone being murdered). Anyway, a book I won't be passing on to my son.
    Furthermore, as to whether the rest of the book was 'ok', I would say that it is ok, but the author or editor doesn't seem to be able to 'math' very well. There was a glaring mistake about someone's age and whether they could have been in the vietnam war... which was more than a bit annoying/stupid feeling. Anyway, I couldn't get that far into it, so maybe it improved further in.

Lastly I would point out to anyone who has an older child reading this to perhaps speak to them about the idea the villain puts forward that he is turning people into whores (read: not in fact raping people). This is hugely concerning to me. Perhaps later in the book he is confronted on this point.
    Secondly the scenario of kids being roped in by predators using social manipulation and drugs is another thing obviously kids should be warned about. (uh, don't take pills strangers hand to you).

Will keep looking and check bluemagic's thread. Thank you very much, I don't want to sound ungrateful, just definitely warning others not to pass this one on to kids without reading. I still feel traumatized. frown
    *(yeah I know, I shouldn't be so sensitive).

Last edited by chris1234; 07/20/14 03:12 AM.
    N
    ndw Offline
    N
    My DD 13 loves manga and dystopian fiction. You could try the Virals series by Kathy Reichs. It features a group of gifted teens and an escaped virus that gives them abilities. There is science and computer hacking and it is reasonably fast paced. There are at least two other books in the series, Seizure and Code.

A
    A
    Here's a site with transcripts to Monty Python. I loved reading the transcripts at his age--more so than watching the video--because it made the absurdities seem grander. I remember reading the Dead Parrot sketch in English one day and bursting out laughing as a friend and I re-enacted it.

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/justthewords.htm

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    Thanks, the Monty Python and Virals both sound good. Will check them out for him.
    I also found this graphic novel, 'Shadow Hero', which sounds good and is based on an old comic idea 'The Green Turtle'. (linked off the links from bluemagic's thread)

If Monty Python is an interest, you might also consider "The Road to Mars" by Eric Idle. It's a sci-fi farce (is that last word even necessary after saying "Eric Idle"?) featuring a pair of touring comedians and a humorless robot attempting to understand comedy and reduce it to mathematical formulae.

And then, if this serves as a gateway into sci-fi that is funny, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" becomes mandatory reading. It may pique his interest to know that it predicted something very like the internet before that was a thing, and inspired the term "ethernet" as a result.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM