Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by JazzyBluesy
    if you don't mind me asking, what is your daily routine with your little one? what activities do you do on a daily basis?

I'm sorry this got lost in the thread. JazzBluesy, if you're still here, it's something like this at 2.5:

Wake
    Eat (or not eat) breakfast
    Free play--park, reading, trains, blocks, cooking, tools, other toys, etc. with me
    Bath

Once a week DS has a group music class. We'll also have a play date with his friend, run errands, go to a museum or the library.

Lunch (or not eating)
    Nap
    Library/read/free play/park/watch a show with me

Cooking together and dinner
    Goof with Daddy
    Reading as a family/making up silly games/play fighting
    Bed

So, basically a free flowing day of random play, reading, friends, and some excursions, with meals and sleep thrown in...somewhere!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Update: Age 2.5

Just wanted to share a nice set of science books that DS has been enjoying: Earlybird Start-Up Science 1-4. These are the recommended science curriculum for grades 1-2 from Singapore Science, but the material is simple enough to be accessible to a toddler or preschooler interested in science as a game. I was looking for a playful, storybook-like accompaniment to complement some of the topics we read about in our library books. I originally bought them because I was curious what material was covered in grades 1-2, but then decided they'd be wasted if I didn't use them now!

The books contain about 30 1-page "lessons" each, with full colour illustrations. Today, we played a game classifying living and non-living things and sorting animals (bird, mammal, fish) as an extension of a book we were reading. It took about 3 minutes for each page, and DS had fun playing along. We did the second "lesson" at his urging.

The early books have a good balance between life and earth science and run about $5 each. They are in a workbook format, but you can easily convert the activities to oral ones without losing the fun of the tasks (and resell them!) They don't contain any experiments, but there are enough good sources (I particularly like Vicki Cobb's Science Play books) that I don't worry about that, especially at this age where everything is supposed to be about play!

F
    F
    These are awesome ideas! Thanks for the app recommendations. The bugs and numbers game and inventions game were HUGE hits. I never buy apps for my I pad but my son played the first inventions game so many times after he beat it that after a few months I decided to get the second one and Felix version. After he played this he developed a big interest in gears and the way things work.

Some activities my son enjoyed starting at 3.5 were:
    -Lego(he played more with it after I got the big base for it to attach pieces to)
    -playdohgh( I add in plastic eyes, string, buttons, Popsicle sticks or whatever I have to make crazy alien creatures)
    - play Mobil camping set
    - painting the wall with water outside
    -putting animal stickers on paper and adding (with markers) to the paper around stickers: cookies that the animals are eating or water that they are sitting in or a tree for them to climb. This activity can go on for so long because the ideas are endless.
    -window markers!

Other apps:
    Elmo abc
    Elmo 123
    Bugs and buttons
    Reader rabbit
    My amazing body
    Cat in the hat books

Shows:
    magic school bus
    Leap frog number factory
    Busy town

Books:
    To be continued when I have more time:)

He just turned 4 and, Currently he is into the scooby doo mystery books that don't have stuff thus too scary but I want to come up with a list of great ones we have enjoyed up to this point. Thank again for ideas everyone!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the new suggestions, Flapperfeet! Glad some of the ideas have been hits. I missed Marnie's post with the inventions app and just downloaded it now. It's exactly the sort of thing DS adores. smile

We have been LOVING kinetic sand. It is sand with a polymer mixed in, like silly putty. So it acts like sand that is wet or play dough that never dries out. We put it in a big plastic bin and drive little toy trucks around or build sand castles. It's an awesome sensory activity!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    What brand do you use, Space_Cadet? I've tried a few locally and they have been hit and miss in terms of malleability.

Hi Aquinas. We picked up some Waba Fun kinetic sand from Amazon. Ours is nice and malleable.

J
    J
    DS 24 months is loving these apps/games right now:

--Wallykazam app (letter recognition)
    --Monkey Preschool Lunchbox app
    --Smatch game (memory game but a bit more challenging...you have to match based on numbers, shape or color)
    --Roll and Play (he still really loves this one!)

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM