Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I could also add: catching cultural references; familiarity with idioms; tolerance for archaic vocabulary and grammatical constructions.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by MegMeg
    I could also add: catching cultural references; familiarity with idioms; tolerance for archaic vocabulary and grammatical constructions.

I distinctly remember learning an intolerance for archaic vocabulary in high school.

C
    C
    Yeah my son has most of that but needs instruction in those those of things including tolerating writing in dialect like southern country (thinking about books like the yearning). But most of his class mates are not at that level and need support for just basic comprehension.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Ashley
    I think that a gifted child follows a "unique" path. There are no two gifted children whose paths are the same. My child at age 5 finished all "elementary" grade math (using multiple challenging curriculum) - this could have happened at age 4 and maybe I did not test him then. At age 6, he can diagram complex sentences and can write poetry (a few different styles)- this goes beyond reading at "X grade level" and comprehending higher level books. I have absolutely given up on tracking his grade level - because he maxes out scores in above level achievement testing all the time. Science has been done using only one curriculum and a ton of hands on activities at our science museum and many months of science/innovation camps during the summer. What his grade level is on science is impossible for me to measure.

My best advise to a parent who accelerates is this: provide resources at all levels to your child - some at a higher level to keep learning new things, some at a lower level to reinforce/review already learned concepts. Keep challenging them to think and learn every single day.
    Well said! smile

Yeah. My little beast has all of these to maybe a middle-school level or beyond, with the exception of tolerance for plots she deems boring. But for the mechanics of reading, she could barely be called an emerging reader. So where does that place her for "reading"?*

*That's a rhetorical question.

Q
    Q
    I get why you are asking this question and kudos to parents who have continually track their children's progress relative to their understanding of their specific local curriculum.

I have never tried to do that. On the one hand, it is just too much effort and time to get an accurate analysis; on the other hand, I don't know what I would do with that particular information. In my limited experience, the acceleration that they "need" is not the same as the level just above their mastery, if that makes sense.

Having said all that, there are specific key points such as acquisition of abstract thinking, reading comprehension of popular/typical adult materials and ability to produce a research paper independently, etc, which signal a student's readiness for the next level.

Unfortunately, I don't think that you can predict your DS' trajectory based on their current position. In fact, I think that the more gifted the child, the more unpredictable the potential trajectory. For example, I don't think that my DS read when he entered K at age 5, but he was reading Harry Potter independently by age 6 and not long thereafter was reading typical adult materials. Of course, typical adult materials are more likely at the middle school levels (grade 6-8) and the depth of understanding can vary as well. There is also a big difference between the ability to comprehend non-fiction versus fiction with the latter generally substantially lagging the former. As another example, DS was applying multiplication/division by age 4 (perhaps earlier?) and intuitively able to solve multi-step algebraic equations by age 7 but I don't think that it would be accurate to say that DS was at our district's grade 3rd and grade 8th levels at age 4 and age 7 respectively. However, at age 7, DS was tested and did well on our district's benchmark type math assessments for grades 2nd through 5th and was formally accelerated to 3rd grade GT math which covers and enriches grade 4 math.

I interpreted the fact that DS was able to intuitively solve (without formal instructions) multi-step (only 2-3 steps) algebraic equations at age 7 as a signal that he has moved into the abstract thinking stage. This was useful in signaling his readiness to move beyond simple fact acquisition in the sciences/social studies.

Unlike another poster described, our district's elementary math curriculum contains far more than basic arithmetic. Elementary algebra, elementary geometry and elementary statistics (line plots, bar graphs, stem-leaf plots, etc.) easily constitute half of the elementary math curriculum and starts showing up by grade 2. However, it is true that due to spiraling, a gifted student may easily extrapolate higher grade level maths even in those subjects. In fact, this was partly what convinced the district to accelerate DS before all the red tape was satisfied because it was clear that he was not put through any outside math curriculum.

Particularly in areas of sciences/social sciences, I find it impossible to estimate a grade level. For example, curriculum and emphasis may change from year to year. For another, the students typically cover more than is in the published curriculum. There is also the issue that from grade 3 onward (if not earlier), it is not just an issue of input but output and the two can be closely intertwined. As an example, all 4th graders are required to produce a science project with all the written components (hypothesis, research, data tables/graphs, conclusions, etc.)

Finally, there is the issue of what grade level really means. For example, if you look to the MAP test, a 95th percentile 5th grader scores higher than a 50th percentile 10th grader in math while a 95th percentile 4th grader outscores a 50th percentile 10th grader in reading. However, I don't think that many parents would advocate their 5th or 4th grader be accelerated to 10th grade in those cases.

My post is all over the place but many prior posters have raised interesting but unrelated points.

Last edited by Quantum2003; 07/02/14 12:16 PM.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Age 4-- Math grade 1, English grade 2, science grade 2, etc.
    Age 5--Math grade 3, English grade 4, science grade 4, etc.
    Age 8--Math grade 6, English grade 7, science grade 7, etc.

I think that a gifted child follows a "unique" path. There are no two gifted children whose paths are the same. My child at age 5 finished all "elementary" grade math (using multiple challenging curriculum) - this could have happened at age 4 and maybe I did not test him then. At age 6, he can diagram complex sentences and can write poetry (a few different styles)- this goes beyond reading at "X grade level" and comprehending higher level books. I have absolutely given up on tracking his grade level - because he maxes out scores in above level achievement testing all the time. Science has been done using only one curriculum and a ton of hands on activities at our science museum and many months of science/innovation camps during the summer. What his grade level is on science is impossible for me to measure.

My best advise to a parent who accelerates is this: provide resources at all levels to your child - some at a higher level to keep learning new things, some at a lower level to reinforce/review already learned concepts. Keep challenging them to think and learn every single day.

Ashley, that's good advice.

Maybe instead of saying "what level has your child achieved?", a different way to ask the question is "what is the minimum level of skills you feel, say, 90% certain he has mastered in each area?"

It makes perfect sense that there will be confidence intervals around these estimates; probably wide ones for some domains. Learning is a fluid process of skills acquisition that doesn't conform to discrete edu-speak boxes.

Part of the reason I'm asking this question the way I am, and at this time, is because I'm hoping to homeschool DS for kindergarten and subsequently open an HG+ micro school in grade 1. I'd like to appreciate the extent to which there is commonality in learning pace across HG+ children with abilities in different domains in the early years.

I'm working with some educators to build a first-pass curriculum plan for the early elementary years. So far, my template is assuming a baseline minimum of 3-4 years of acceleration in core subjects (math, LA, science, social science) by grade 8. The students will all have individual learning plans, but those will be predicated on a core level of common achievement.

I'm testing the hypothesis that there is rough convergence of raw ability in core subjects around age 6 for HG+ children. If it looks like there's wide divergence in learning trajectories among similar-ability children until a later age, I might have to push back opening a school in grade 1, or open it earlier because different home environments will amplify early differences in achievement. As you can appreciate, it's hard to reach a large number of local HG+ parents on a shoestring budget, so this is my early stage research.

Thanks again to everyone who has replied!

Last edited by aquinas; 07/02/14 12:48 PM. Reason: Changed "exacerbate" to "amplify"...it sounded too negative otherwise.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    My post is all over the place but many prior posters have raised interesting but unrelated points.

Don't worry; I get it, and I appreciate you synthesizing the disparate conversation strands in one post. smile

I completely agree that the notion of "grade equivalent" is an artificial one, particularly for high ability children studying in fields where there isn't a linear path of learning.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Sure, I'll PM you.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I would like to hear the discussion, ColinsMum, if you're willing to post it publicly.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM