Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 333 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #1902 01/31/07 08:29 AM
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I haven't posted in a long time - so a quick intro. I have a 7 yo DYS son and a 6 yo daughter who has never cooperated with testing.

This week the school sent home a paper indicating that her reading level is 5.9 and that she should only read books between 3.9 and 6.0 grade level.

Earlier this school year, I suggested that she check a biography out of the library - but she said she wasn't allowed. First graders, as it turns out, are only allowed to read first grade level books during the first 2/3 of the school year.

Now, given the results of her test, she will only be allowed to read books at a fourth or fifth grade level - meaning she won't be allowed to finish reading the series of Horrible Harry books that she has so enjoyed reading.

UGGGGHHHHH!

Oh well.....

Mary

Mary
    Looks like you'll have to take her to the public library - LOL!

That is terrific news, M,

((I'm red faced, and wondering what I told you....Did it have to do with girls who are bright enought to resist testing must have considerable headmeat up there? LOL - with all the suble messages -social and biological that little girls get to be sweet and comply, messing with the tester is a sign of SomethinG - big grin))

It's great to hear from you M!

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    You told me that Barbie was smarter than Snoopy - given the stories I had to tell about her.

Well, this doesn't completely prove it - but at least when comparing their scores on this test at the same age, she scored higher than he did.

Haven't gotten his scores back for this year though - what if she scored higher than he did this year? LOL

Not expecting that though......

Mary

Mary
    Luck you Mary, to be able to say to each kid, you both have your strenghts and weaknesses....
    ((big grin))
    Trin

Luck you Mary, to be able to say to each kid, you both have your strenghts and weaknesses....
    ((big grin))
    Trin

M
    mayreeh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    So.... now Barbie is crying over the 'fact' that she is not good at math at all and will never be good at math. Boo hoo.

DH has been trying to get her to do double digit adding in her head. This morning, when she was half asleep she did 27 plus 17 correctly. Then he trying 44 and 14 and she just couldn't do it..... kept coming up with 40 plus 50 is 65 and other off the wall answers. We discussed afterwards and I think it significant that she can do better when half asleep than when awake. Thinking her 'best' friend - whom we despise - has been making fun of her for being smart and she is dumbing down on purpose.

(Then again, Barbie has always dumbed down for manipulative purposes - reading at 3 and then refusing on the basis that we might stop reading to her if she could read on her own.)

Anyway..... it still feels like we are on the cusp of being able to convince her she is smart..... and hence, on the cusp of being able to retest and possibly prove that she is on the same level as big brother. (Or wouldn't he hate it - smarter than Big Brother?)

I used to wonder how parents could have a PG kid and not figure it out before junior high. I'm guessing we wouldn't have any suspicions about Barbie at all if she didn't have Snoopy in front of her. DH still thinks Snoopy is smarter - and I have to admit that Barbie hasn't proven it - but little slip ups like this morning do keep me scratching my head.

Mary

Mary
    So Weird!
    These kids definitly have their own perspectives on things. I think one possible way in is that you want her to develop her self image as a perserverer anyway. In the long run, no matter how bright she is, it's only through hard work that she'll get the kinds of results she is likely to want.

Best Wishes -
    You don't have an easy row to hoe!
    Trin

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets