Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Hi everyone
    My son (4yr 11mo) recently completed the SB-V and I received the results today. He is not gifted, but I was wondering if anyone can help shed light on his subtest scores, particularly the low knowledge score? The psychologist wasn't particularly forthcoming with information about what seems like a bit of a wide spread of scores and what the lower score in the knowledge section means.

Non-verbal:
    Fluid reasoning 14 (91st percentile)
    Knowledge 10 (50th percentile)
    Quantitative reasoning 13 (84th)
    Visual spatial 18 (99.6th)
    Working memory 13 (84th)

Verbal:
    Fluid reasoning: 16 (98th)
    Knowledge: 11 (63rd)
    Quantitative reasoning. 14 (91st)
    Visual Spatial. 15 (95th)
    Working memory. 19 (99.9)

FSIQ: 128 (97th)

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Not sure if it's relevant but I forgot to include verbal IQ: 131, nonverbal IQ 123.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Firstly, some perspective: IQ scores are not considered stable until about age 8 or 9, so barely non-qualifying scores at age 4.11 don't necessarily mean your son is not gifted.

Secondly: Yes, that is a wide range of subtest scores on both clusters (8 scaled scores difference), which usually is an indication that the cluster/IQ scores are questionable. Notably, if the examiner had calculated the cluster scores using the five-factor model, Visual Spatial would have come out as a relative strength, probably in the upper 90s %ile, likely above 130. (I don't have my manual with me, so I can't check these numbers exactly--plus if you're not in the USA, your norms will differ slightly.) Knowledge would have come out as a relative weakness, around the 50th %ile. The Working Memory Cluster has a notable divergence between nonverbal and verbal tasks, and not in the direction I would have expected based on the relative strength in Visual Spatial. It may be that the passion for numbers that you mentioned in your other post is related with his strong verbal working memory performance (repeating random number sequences).

Thirdly: Knowledge is most closely associated with what is called crystallized intelligence, which is what you have already learned from your environment (as opposed to fluid intelligence, which is how you adapt to new learning, and make connections between existing learning). Obviously, it is closely associated with schooling, and access to knowledge in the form of books, life experiences, and shared cultural experiences. It is not unusual for this area to be lowered in individuals who come from a minority cultural/linguistic/religious experience, or have poor access to literature/television/museums/parks, or are very sheltered. Or, obviously, who have not received any formal schooling.

You say your son is reading at about a late first grade level (short chapter books, Frog and Toad, Amelia Bedelia). How long has he been reading? A lot of general knowledge comes from books, so if he hasn't been reading independently all that long, he hasn't had time to accumulate certain kinds of knowledge. The Verbal Knowledge subtest, in particular, is a straight vocabulary test, so if he hasn't had exposure to the reading vocabulary yet, the lower score is no surprise. Give him a year of reading, and his score on this type of task would likely go up by more than a year's relative growth. Nonverbal Knowledge is an absurdities task, which is highly culturally-laden.

I would follow your son's lead in terms of feeding his thirst for knowledge, without worrying too much about classification for the moment. Wait another year, or until there is a specific purpose to be served by re-testing, and then have him re-examined using a Wechsler (if you wait until after 6.0, he can have the WISC-V, or if before, the WPPSI-IV). He can't have the SB for at least another two years, as IQ tests are not supposed to be re-administered within two years.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    P
    P
    I won't be able to help you interpret the scores, since I don't really pay much attention to these scores at all. But I want to say a couple of things.

1. It's not very useful to simply classify someone as "gifted" or "not gifted". The cutoff is somewhat arbitrary. Giftedness is a continuum, different programs use different cutoffs that serve the purposes of the programs. 128 is certainly more gifted than 110, but less than 140. It's relative.

2. No matter what the IQ scores, I think all kids would benefit if parents follow their lead and provide the kids with the most optimal educational environment. I never looked back at my son's IQ scores after we submitted it to the gifted school which required the scores as part of the entrance portfolio. But I know very well his interests, abilities, current levels and weaknesses, so my involvement in his education is simply guided by these (if not for school entrance, I wouldn't even have let him get tested). I think this will become easier and easier as the kids grow up and can communicate better with parents about themselves.

Last edited by playandlearn; 06/16/14 06:12 AM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    I won't be able to help you interpret the scores, since I don't really pay much attention to these scores at all. But I want to say a couple of things.

1. It's not very useful to simply classify someone as "gifted" or "not gifted". The cutoff is somewhat arbitrary. Giftedness is a continuum, different programs use different cutoffs that serve the purposes of the programs. 128 is certainly more gifted than 110, but less than 140. It's relative.

2. No matter what the IQ scores, I think all kids would benefit if parents follow their lead and provide the kids with the most optimal educational environment. I never looked back at my son's IQ scores after we submitted it to the gifted school which required the scores as part of the entrance portfolio. But I know very well his interests, abilities, current levels and weaknesses, so my involvement in his education is simply guided by these (if not for school entrance, I would even have let him get tested). I think this will become easier and easier as the kids grow up and can communicate better with parents about themselves.
    Yes! I have to mention that I have not had my own children tested, and that is what I do for a living. As much as I see the value of what I do professionally, I believe that deeper understanding of your children, their needs, strengths, weaknesses, and dreams, comes from observing and living with them than from what even a trained clinician observes in a two- or three-hour (okay, maybe six, sometimes!) artificial setting.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Just wanted to say that I agree with you all, and definitely understand these results are not fixed in any way at this age. The results of this test will in no way diminish the activities I do with my son, or change how I view him for the worse at all. I think my title and question were badly worded, I just wanted to be clear that I understood his FSIQ comes in technically below that line, particularly in this forum with so many HG+.

The purpose of having him tested was in order to get a bit more information about possible future educational options/decisions, as he'll be starting Transition (first year of school) next year (jan). He is also very anxious/sensitive and I had read that this can be associated with giftedness, so wanted to see if this was likely the case - basically in order to try and understand him a little better.

Aeh, thanks for the detailed response! You helped me understand the knowledge subtest a bit better. To be honest, I am still a little surprised at the score as we are a generally bookish family and DS is read to a lot as well as plenty of museum trips etc. To me, outside a test environment, his knowledge and vocabulary appears advanced. He has never been to daycare though, and we do minimal TV, so he may be sheltered in that respect. The psychologist commented that she felt that his knowledge scores would most likely jump up as he started attending school and gaining life experience outside the home. He is also very averse to taking risks and she said that he stopped/refused as soon as questions became slightly difficult for him.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by napanangka
    ...as he'll be starting Transition (first year of school) next year (jan).
    That sounds like Aus or NZ. Maybe local posters can give advice on education options.

W
    W
    Just ask the tester. Set up a meeting and ask.

Gifted people never just let it go. They keep asking and following up and figuring it out. It is very natural.

I think models / prototypes for computers / other types of automated mechanics are based on what humans can do.

There is no reason to be afraid of testing. Every single piece of info. received in whatever way is a form of knowledge. Knowledge is not scary. Ignorance is something that gifted people passionately fight.

Knowing your IQ is wonderfully helpful to making decisions about every type of partnering, work, leisure, everything.

You don't have to think of one IQ as being better than another. It is simply another category.

Humans categorize in every field of study; they are very uncomfortable when it is turned on them. Gifted people are exceedingly honest. Lying is a waste of our time. We have to get to the truth regardless.

There are many important jobs that require a gifted mind. That is why we are all assessed constantly, whether we know it or not.

The people who receive full merit academic scholarships to college are scholars and that is not a bad word.

It is okay to be smart. It is okay to be average. In fact, I heard an advertisement recently that said, "You're average. That is great." Why average people are uncomfortable being called average is not something you'll find at this website.

So, follow up. Also, everyone can tell who the gifted kids are by age two years. You'll know. It is obvious and the other children point it out repeatedly.

P
    P
    I guess your'e in Australia? Or South Africa? It may be that a lot of the knowledge stuff was popular culture - things he may pick up at day are etc or off TV. It also may be that he wouldn't answer some questions because he was only 90% sure not 100%. Unless you wanted him to do something that required an IQ over 130 then 127 is not really an issue. Honestly it is a pretty optimal IQ. If you don't need the score wait until you do then retest.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks. I'm not overly worried about the FSIQ, more curious about the wide spread and the outlying low score in one area. I'm in Australia for those wondering. There was no burning reason why he needed to cross that 130 line, although it may help inform a few educational decisions - I have a gut feeling that he will need some extension at school regardless of that number. To be honest, I was an HG child and it caused a lot of problems throughout my education. I still struggle with perfectionism and never developed very effective study habits, so I'm not disappointed with his score.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM