Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    as a mom of a 20 year old I can certainly see the narcissism, self entitlement and everything else mentioned in him and his generation. There seem to be very few "kids" who do not share this trait. And we are NOT a wealthy area. More so, it's an area of low income to low middle class.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by puffin
    In my experience and observation teen pregnancy, smoking, drinking and quitting school early are fairly strong indicators of low self worth not narcissism.
    Sometimes narcissism can lead to a drive for instant gratification, which in turn may be self-destructive.

M
    M
    Hello everyone - just a reminder to keep this thread on topic and related to gifted education.

Thank you!

U
    U
    "Nearly every sensible middle-aged person would give away all their money to be able to go back to age 22 and begin adulthood anew."

What? I certainly wouldn't. Weirdo.

U
    U
    Also, Brooks is out of it, for someone who claims to have his finger on the pulse. I'm solidly Gen X, but this is not what I did, nor is it what my peers did:

Most of them will not quickly get married, buy a home and have kids, as previous generations did.

It hasn't been like that for a while, David, and you ought to know that.

Anyway, while I don't disagree with him on a broad level--does anyone really pay serious attention to their commencement address? I don't remember mine. Do you?

I will note, though, that baby boomers are the unhappiest living generation, with the highest suicide and divorce rates. We Xers don't look half bad by comparison, folks. If I were a young graduate, I might want to know that. Don't model yourself on the boomers.

Originally Posted by ultramarina

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Val Offline
    ...does anyone really pay serious attention to their commencement address? I don't remember mine. Do you?

Maya Angelou spoke at my commencement. I most definitely remember what she said: she inspired us. She told us that "someone would find a treatment for an incurable disease. Will it be you? Someone will find a new way to solve our energy problems. Will it be you? Someone will find a way to alleviate the disastrous effects of poverty. Will it be you?"

Then she sang to us.

Some people should just never die, and she was one of them. frown

22B Offline
    "Nearly every sensible middle-aged person would give away all their money to be able to go back to age 22 and begin adulthood anew."

Well, I'd like to end up with exactly the same family I have now, but if it were possible, I would definitely like to rewind back to age 22 (penniless, but wiser) and do over.

Of course "Nearly every sensible middle-aged person" is ridiculous.

---------------------------------------

Okay, I'm guilty of feeding this thread, but it's really not a "Gifted Issues" topic.

Right-- and I think that of the commencements I've attended (and I've been to well over a dozen at the secondary/post-secondary level at this point)-- the ones that stick are the ones where the speaker (who needs to be charismatic and powerfully engaging to begin with) also CHALLENGES people as individuals to respond internally and idiosyncratically.

Most are just insipid and frankly meaningless. But-- and I say this having just seen how such speakers are "selected" now-- that's all that those choosing such speakers WANT from them now.

They don't want speakers who make the audience uncomfortable or surprised. But-- that is what makes for memorable speakers.

I, too, have been privileged to hear Maya Angelou speak-- and even though my DD has not, she readily identified (strongly) with her excerpt/essay "Graduation Day" upon hearing her own commencement speakers. They clearly weren't addressing her at all, and it felt false and disgusting to her. It made her ANGRY at the wasted opportunity to say something both poignant and meaningful to that group of young people.

I think that this is more a mark of my DD's intensity as a GT issue, though-- and it comes through loud and clear in Ms. Angelou's account of her own graduation as well.

My daughter wanted at least one speaker to rouse the crowd to-- well, something. She wanted something that would inspire something besides boredom or polite golf-applause. No such luck.

And yes, Ms. Angelou is one of those people who really SHOULD get to live forever. SHE was never an insipid speaker. I recall her words very vividly, and I was sixteen years old when I heard her deliver them. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    ...does anyone really pay serious attention to their commencement address? I don't remember mine. Do you?

Maya Angelou spoke at my commencement. I most definitely remember what she said: she inspired us. She told us that "someone would find a treatment for an incurable disease. Will it be you? Someone will find a new way to solve our energy problems. Will it be you? Someone will find a way to alleviate the disastrous effects of poverty. Will it be you?"
    Youthful idealists can do more harm than good, so they worry me. My message would be to not worry about saving the world but to find the best-paying career that you are competent at and do not dislike, since how much a job is paid is a measure of how much value it is creating. You can always give away excess wealth later, as Bill Gates is doing. There is currently talk about the need to forgive government-guaranteed student loans for people with low incomes. Young people should think first about repaying their loans and not becoming public charges. I could give a memorable graduation speech smile.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM