Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Ok, these are the spelling apps DS loves:

1. V1- Word Family ($3)
    2. V2- Make a Word ($3)
    3. Abc1- Spelling Magic 1 (free)
    4. ABc2- Spelling Magic 2 (free)
    5. Abc3- Spelling Magic 3 (free)

1 and 2 separate out words by word family and cost $3 each. 3, 4, and 5 offer the option of using a digital moveable alphabet and sort words into groups based on theme (animals, outdoors, etc.) Personally, I'd try 1 and 3 first. If she likes those, then get 2, 4, and 5. The paid apps are nicer, IMO, but the freebies get the job done.

For simple math, the Bugs and Numbers/Buttons series is lovely. A great biology app is "The Human Body" in The Explorer's Library series by Tinybop for $3.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by islandofapples
    I think she might be at the tail-end of kindergarten, but I'm not sure.
    I think you underestimate the current curriculum currently in K. . Ten years ago the minimum standards included reading at least 100 sight words, knowing & writing all their letters, counting to 100, skip counting (by 2's) to 100. I don't remember everything but there is a lot more.

I see nothing wrong with your plan as long as you keep it fun and at her pace. Honestly I wouldn't call it homeschooling at this point. As for resources when my son was at this age we liked the "Bob" books but I know others here didn't like them as much. At this age you really don't need to do anything formal and IMO I think that is best. You can teach a lot while playing. Get lots of paper, crayons, scissors and do a lot of drawing. Encorage your daughter to draw stories and 'write' the story herself. Even if it's not legible. Take trips to the library, take out books of a variety of levels and about a variety of subjects. For math you can use almost anything and add it in while doing everything. Count up the toys, learn to skip count the grapes. Figure out if you have enough carrots for everyone to have 2 each.

Personally I don't like flashcards, or workbooks for this age. Make everything a game and have fun.

Good Luck

Great advice!!

If you can find copies of Peggy Kaye's books-- she has one for literacy and one for numeracy both have "Games" in the title, and are descriptive and pretty extensive-- and more importantly, respectful of different learning styles and developmental arc of young children; I strongly recommend those.

Hunt around and see if you can find any scope-and-sequence documents for your local (or state) schools, just to have a good idea where your child stands. That way you'll have a better idea what to do with standardized testing later, since for achievement batteries, you have to know what "level" to choose.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Every state has curriculum frameworks posted on its DOE website, with benchmarks by grade bracket (sometimes it's a range, like k-2). There usually is a document for each major core subject, and often one for soft (socialization, emotional) skills as well.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    Originally Posted by Mana
    bluemagic, I meant formation as she is direction and order. She used to do her O and 0 clockwise and it took almost a year to get that fixed because we let it go when she was younger. Now she is okay with O and 0 but she writes some lines from right to left rather than right to left. I know it's a minor detail and her handwriting is more than legible and the end product is correct so I shouldn't be such a perfectionist but every time she writes T from right to left, it drives me CRAZY. Now that I think about it, maybe she's doing it on purpose because she knows I'd overreact.
    So I thought about this because I wasn't sure why it matters that you write an O or 0 clockwise or counter-clockwise. Perplexed me a bit. And probably most handwriting books will say this is the correct method. But until I thought about it a bit I couldn't figure out why it would be "better". Writing a cursive "o" would seem easier clockwise than counterclockwise. My guess is there is history behind this more than ergonomics. That once upon a time writing right to left, and the O's counter clockwise helped prevent smearing of the ink when writing with ones right hand with a fountain pen. Modern pens, crayons, pencils this is a lot less necessary.

I have to admit, I let DS5.10 write letters and numbers in any way he wants. I tried to teach him "the right way" but sometimes the right way doesn't even make sense to me so why would I make him do it that way? All I ask from him is for the letters and numbers to look readable. I guess that's the beauty of homeschooling smile And he's much more eager to write now that he has the freedom of doing it his way that he finds easier. I never learned to write number 8 the correct way. I've always done it with two "o" on top of each other. And when I saw he was struggling with 8, I showed him my way and he couldn't be happier. We might try cursive next semester just because it seems more natural to me than using print such young age.

M
    M
    I feel bad that when DD is writing, I am being such a buzzkil. I should be focusing on encouraging her to express herself through writing but I just cannot let this one go. So we're doing the HWT orange book this summer or at least that was the plan. DD wants to do it but I am not feeling like workbooks at the moment.

isaldnofapples, sorry for the detour. I looked around our place to see what DD uses to explore math. My DD tends to use everything as her theatrical properties so I'm not sure if she is learning anything math related but we have these products:

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...02531751&sr=8-4&keywords=abacus+learning

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...-7&keywords=100+board+learning+resources

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...2531844&sr=8-1&keywords=math+unit+blocks

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Reso...3&sr=1-2&keywords=fraction+manipulatives

http://www.amazon.com/Didax-DD-225-...=1402531940&sr=1-1&keywords=unifix+cubes

http://www.amazon.com/Didax-Dd-2220..._t_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BT8SRJ3WJ55P80C3WBB

DD used the abacus mostly as a musical instrument but I now see her sitting down with it and experimenting with patters so that one is actually useful. DD went through a LEGO phase and I thought she'd continue for years so I invested quite a bit in setting up a lego station but she was over it in 2 months. That was an expensive mistake.

ETA: I got most of those products used and dirt cheap at school fairs.

Last edited by Mana; 06/11/14 05:23 PM.
    M
    M
    Mana, don't give up on the Lego thing just yet! DS loved it when he was 2-3 years old, then quit and came back to it when he turned 5 and plays with it on a daily basis. Though he prefers to just dump it in the middle of the room and go from there

M
    M
    Mk13, thank you for sharing that. I was leaning towards donating her Lego collection to a classroom or a shelter but I will store them away and see if she asks for them in the next few years. I'd really rather see her play with Lego than be on her iPad.

C
    C
    Love making paper plate puppets (or masks) and paper bag puppets and putting on shows.

We also had a ton of inexpensive puppets from oriental trading company.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM