Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    ok - hopefully my last q for a while.....

DD4 is testing in 2 weeks time (4 hours over 4 days. I have no doubt she will enjoy the experience, I think also as it is the WPPSI she'll do well as it is weighted toward her strengths by the looks of it. Wondering though how she will go with actually being confident enough to answer the questions as they get harder - she is generally NOT shy and can express herself, but also as things seem more difficult she gets more reluctant to provide an answer in case it is wrong, instead of going with her best guess.

Any idea how to prep her to answer to her best ability? We don't want her to feel pressured, however as you all know it is expensive and we do need as accurate results as possible so we can make some immediate education decisions (well aware that her score could be different in a few years time!)

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I usually preface testing by explaining that we are going to do some work together that helps me understand how you learn best. This work is made for children younger than you, and also for children older than you (true for nearly all children, as higher functioning older kids will usually get the next level up), so some of the work will be easy, and some of it will be hard, and that's okay. The important thing is to do your best, so that we learn about how you learn. This will help your parents and teachers understand how they should teach you. (Sometimes I add: so that we teach you in a way that is not so easy that it is boring, and not too hard either, but just right for you. Or other wordings, depending on the age and ability of the child.) With school-age children, I often include a brief comment on diverse learning styles, and may ask them if they have an idea of how they learn best. With adolescents, I may skip over the age-difference part, and emphasize the diversity of learning styles more.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks to you both, I really think the with the right mental prep we can get the most accurate result (high or low) I'll def take on board all your suggestions.

F
    F
    Thank you for posting this question! Great tips here too. I will need this for sure in the future with my perfectionist soon to be 4 year old. I've always wondered how he was going to be able to test whenever we do it. It will be interesting to see how it goes for you. Good luck!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks - 1 test down 3 to go, so far so good

I
    I
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is going well.
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    as things seem more difficult she gets more reluctant to provide an answer in case it is wrong, instead of going with her best guess.

Any idea how to prep her to answer to her best ability?
    I know I'm reading this post late, but the book mindset by Carol Dweck addresses this well. As your DD is still young, your understanding of these concepts and being able to coach her in developing a "growth" mindset may be helpful over the years.

The concept of fixed mindset vs growth mindset is nicely summarized in these youtube videos:
    Ashley Merryman & Po Bronson: The Myth of Praise (link-
    ) and
    Teaching a Growth Mindset (link-
    ) by Carol Dweck whose research was mentioned in the Bronson video clip. These links provide quick summaries, their books contain more info. One aspect or application of a fixed mindset is that gifted kids, in order to be seen as "right" or "smart", may stop taking appropriate risks, possibly shunning a challenge and preferring easy work which may represent a level of underachievement. A fixed mindset may work against them and be exhibited as a lack of resilience.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations