Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
    N
    N
    My child in many ways is gifted beyond her years.(She has Geometry in 7th grade next year for example). Just because their gifted doesn't mean though they have common sense (more than non gifted) and know what's best for themselves.

N
    N
    But the first two lines of the original statement was he didn't want to go so I didn't sign the slip. It sounded pretty obvious to me who made the decision.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    But the first two lines of the original statement was he didn't want to go so I didn't sign the slip. It sounded pretty obvious to me who made the decision.

Why would you make a kid go on a trip when they don't want to? We're talking about a field trip and far too many times these have very little to do with actual education so unless I thought that there was a real need for the child to go, I'd not make them.

M
    M
    My child in many ways is gifted beyond her years.(She has Geometry in 7th grade next year for example). Just because their gifted doesn't mean though they have common sense (more than non gifted) and know what's best for themselves.

This is a part time homeschooled child. He's probably used to making a lot of decisions regarding his education.

Originally Posted by Dude
    Cost was never involved in your original statement. I just never heard of 7 year olds making parental decisions. I certainly never would of asked my 7 year old for any input.

I'd have thought it was obvious, but apparently it needs saying: there's a huge difference between "7 year olds making parental decisions" and "7 year olds having a voice and being heard."

I certainly would never have made a parental decision without at least hearing what my 7yo had to say about it.

I'd have been extremely foolhardy to try to do that to my particular 7yo, speaking frankly.

No, she doesn't "make all her own decision" even now, at 14. But she makes more of them than she did at 7, and even then she made more of them than she had at 3.

I figured that there had been discussion about the field trip, which the OP was not sharing the specific details of, and which I'm not really entitled to anyway. Having lived through this age with a PG child, and the seven years past it, as well... I'll say this much: I think it's a wise parent that rewards logical and rational argumentation in such children at seven. That was always our condition for having one's voice heard-- provide me with REASONS, not whining, and be prepared to back your opinion just as I'd ask another adult to. Do that, and your opinion counts for a lot more.

Just because the school thinks a field trip is a good idea doesn't mean that they are more RIGHT about that than the child who thinks that it is not.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Dude
    The staff is being flat-out creepy. I'd make sure they know that.

Bingo-- and I might be a little more cheeky about this than Ultramarina, but still get the same point across--

Wow-- must be some Kool-Aid that they plan to serve on the trip if it's compulsory. I'm just wondering what happens if my child misses the indoctrination portion of the program-- can you explain?

wink

This x2. Any adult that shows this kind of inordinate interest in having access to a child unaccompanied by a parent is a huge red flag.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    Because,and this story isn't a good example, in life you don't always get what you want.

A
    A
    Because,and this story isn't a good example, in life you don't always get what you want.

You might find the research on outcomes of authoritative vs. authoritarian parenting interesting.

http://www.parentingscience.com/authoritative-parenting-style.html

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    And that's a good thing?

U
    U
    Enh...I don't think it's a red flag, really. I think schools are just bureaucratic and odd. I also think it's possible that it's something like what 22B proposed--they get a discount for X number of kids, etc. Maybe they received money from a donor to take X kids. There are odd things like that operating behind the scenes at schools. I tend to be the kind of parent that teachers disclose things to (or so it seems--not all teachers, btw) so I've had teachers tell me things of this sort. ("I'm supposed to make her do that phonics program every day because we're required to by XYZ mandate, but she doesn't need to, so I fill out the form and let her read." "We need to meet numbers for that, so I just say he's here even though he's across the hall getting enrichment." --These are not totally accurate examples, but this kind of thing.)

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM