Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
    I
    I
    I seriously think they do not realize that he is planning to stay home that day. I imagine if I didn't sign a permission slip for a trip at my son's school the teachers would be a little frantic wondering what they will do with him if I expect him to be able to be at school that day but not have permission to attend the trip. YKWIM? I am sure once she tells them he will be home that day they will be fine. No school can be this weird... at least not openly! (or can they???)

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Irena
    I seriously think they do not realize that he is planning to stay home that day. I imagine if I didn't sign a permission slip for a trip at my son's school the teachers would be a little frantic wondering what they will do with him if I expect him to be able to be at school that day but not have permission to attend the trip. YKWIM? I am sure once she tells them he will be home that day they will be fine. No school can be this weird... at least not openly! (or can they???)
    Our school's permission slip says explicity that those who opt out of the field trip will be placed in the classroom of another teacher for the duration of the trip. I think that this is normal operating procedure for most schools.

N
    N
    Yes, our school always has the kids who aren't on the field trip staying with a teacher and doing ...something. I don't know what, since my kids have never missed a field trip except when they were sick or on some other school thing. But I do know they have a contingency plan for those who aren't allowed to go for whatever reason.

I wouldn't even hazard a guess anymore as to how weird a school can be -- these are places, after all, that suspend kindergarteners for biting PopTarts into gun shapes, or punish kids who get bullied for their My Little Pony lunch boxes. There is no end to the weirdness. smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Our school's permission slip says explicity that those who opt out of the field trip will be placed in the classroom of another teacher for the duration of the trip. I think that this is normal operating procedure for most schools.

Cool! That is not what ours say at all! I guess they do not necessarily want to highlight that parents have a third option (one being attending the trip, two being staying home instead of going on the trip and three being getting to send your child to school that day but still get to opt of trip). Interesting. But I do think that if someone pushed on the issue, the school would do just that - put the child in anther class for the day or something... I think they just do not necessarily want it to be obvious that there is a choice. That's just how our school is...

ETA: Oh and half the time you can't make head or tail out of the permission slip - many times it will have the wrong dates or wrong times, etc... one had conflicting dates and times throughout the sheet so you havd no real idea exactly when the trip was and for what time!

Last edited by Irena; 06/11/14 10:28 AM.
    A
    A
    I guess they do not necessarily want to highlight that parents have a third option (one being attending the trip, two being staying home instead of going on the trip and three being getting to send your child to school that day but still get to opt of trip). Interesting. But I do think that if someone pushed on the issue, the school would do just that - put the child in anther class for the day or something... I think they just do not necessarily want it to be obvious that there is a choice.
    It is the job of the school to keep the child in campus if the parent opts the child out of the field trip. Field trips are not mandatory. Staying home involves the parent taking time off from other things to watch the child. So, the contingency plan of the school is to put your child who is not on the field trip in another classroom of the same grade or a close enough grade for however long the trip takes. In our school, when the whole grade goes on the trip on the same day, the child not on the trip is sometimes left with the front desk and admins who provide work packets, craft packets etc and then send the child to PE with another grade and such things. Essentially, the child is fully taken care of - maybe a wasted day for the child, but they do "something" at school.

N
    N
    Cost was never involved in your original statement. I just never heard of 7 year olds making parental decisions. I certainly never would of asked my 7 year old for any input.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    Cost was never involved in your original statement. I just never heard of 7 year olds making parental decisions. I certainly never would of asked my 7 year old for any input.

Well that's you. I don't parent that way. As far as I am concerned, if it involves my son having to go somewhere for several hours he gets a say and his say is, at the very least, considered. For us, it is not just a "parental" decision - he gets a input in what happens to him and, personally, I like how that shapes our relationship AND I think it really provides a scaffolding in his building his own problem-solving and decision-making skills. But, then again, I had a really bright mature 7 year old.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    I guess they do not necessarily want to highlight that parents have a third option (one being attending the trip, two being staying home instead of going on the trip and three being getting to send your child to school that day but still get to opt of trip). Interesting. But I do think that if someone pushed on the issue, the school would do just that - put the child in anther class for the day or something... I think they just do not necessarily want it to be obvious that there is a choice.
    It is the job of the school to keep the child in campus if the parent opts the child out of the field trip. Field trips are not mandatory. Staying home involves the parent taking time off from other things to watch the child. So, the contingency plan of the school is to put your child who is not on the field trip in another classroom of the same grade or a close enough grade for however long the trip takes. In our school, when the whole grade goes on the trip on the same day, the child not on the trip is sometimes left with the front desk and admins who provide work packets, craft packets etc and then send the child to PE with another grade and such things. Essentially, the child is fully taken care of - maybe a wasted day for the child, but they do "something" at school.

I agree with it. And I am pretty sure my Ds's school does the same ... I just don't think they want it made obvious.

M
    M

I'd think it's only natural to give your child a chance to express their opinion about field trips (or any other trips for that matter). Especially since we're talking about gifted kids here who in many ways think beyond their years!
    We homeschool now so it's not an issue but I would not make either of our sons go on a trip they wouldn't want to go on.

I'd have thought it was obvious, but apparently it needs saying: there's a huge difference between "7 year olds making parental decisions" and "7 year olds having a voice and being heard."

I certainly would never have made a parental decision without at least hearing what my 7yo had to say about it.

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM