Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    What Elizabeth said, basically.

I'd ask "why not" to the provision that a parent CAN accompany your child.... It's probably not okay for them to REQUIRE you to attend, but if you want to on a case-by-case basis, frankly, they ought to WELCOME you. They're fools not to-- ...Two words for them. Nathan Walters.

I know, right? You'd think they'd breathe a sigh of relief! His response makes me wonder what THEY think I "push" for. I think they think I bring this stuff up for ME ... like I am 'fighting' for me. And that this is all about power. It IS all about "power" FOR THEM. For ME, it really is all about my son. This just makes it blatantly obvious to me they do not give a crap about my kid and they actually completely lose of sight of what's important - when confronted with any of this it's pretty much never really about my son. It's about power. Do they think I am someone want to get go on free school trips? Like this is for me? Like I haven't been to these places or won't find the majority of this stuff a bit boring?

Sadly, my experience is that with some school administrators, teachers, and other parents... the answer is "yes."

Which is ludicrous, as you've pointed out.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    H
    H
    I might be one of those parents who exaggerates her kids' food allergies.

The list of their known food allergies is 2-page long. Mild reaction would be eczema for at least a week (with the possibility of infection) or severe consequence of going to the ER.

If I am not sure about whether my kids are allergic to a certain type of food, I usually err on the side of caution.

Yes, I have gotten comments even from the grandparents. I would rather be proactive than reactive.

Whoahhhh.

Okay, now to figure out how to make it safe for DD15 to live in a dorm for a week with the rest of her research group while they visit a regional research powerhouse later this summer.
    eek Minifridge and mini-microwave.

B
    B
    Have you tried to talk to the dorm/food service? A number of schools provide small kitchens for kids who have severe food allergies. Is it going to be possible for her to get a mini-fridge for this week? Many dorms have lounges with refrigerators & microwaves. Sounds like you need to research what the school has available. I haven't been reading this thread too closely since I am lucky enough not to have kids with food allergies, does your daughter have problems with trace amounts of food? Can she store/prepare food in a kitchen that might have her allergens around. By 15 I assume she is very well aware of the details of her food allergies.

I have run a scout troop and had to dealt with kids who had severe food allergies. I don't understand the attitude of the principal above. Isn't the goal to NOT need the epi pen. So shouldn't his plan be to make sure that the teacher is trained, and policies and procedures are in place to PREVENT an allergic reaction.

I
    I
    Hi all. Thank you so much for your help! I responded to principal with a paraphrase of some of HK's post. And he responded with 'fine if you want to attend you can, makes no difference to me.' When we can't attend DS will be in the group supervised by the teacher and she will personally be given the epi-pen and instructed again prior to the trip. So whew... I am just kind of embarrassed I didn't push for this before. Honestly, I was never permitted to chaperone any trip prior to about a week ago (end of second grade) so I had not truly realized that DS is just sent off with some random mom volunteer who may not even know DS has a life threatening allergy! It really hit me at the field trip that I was finally permitted to chaperone that this was not a very safe arrangement.

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 06/15/14 02:02 PM.
    Glad that you got it worked out, Irena!! smile

We're going to send DD with a thermo-electric cooler that she can use as a personal mini-fridge, and as the time gets closer, she'll either need to pick a roomie that is cool with food restrictions, or room as a single if that fails.

She'll be fine, I know. It's just an extra layer of "scary" when they are this young and this vulnerable. Luckily, this is the same research group that she worked with all last summer, so her allergies are just a fact of life to them all at this point.

DD is elated about this-- she was afraid that the grant would preclude her working this summer b/c of her age.

I
    I
    Thanks so much for all of your help with it, HK!

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    We're going to send DD with a thermo-electric cooler that she can use as a personal mini-fridge, and as the time gets closer, she'll either need to pick a roomie that is cool with food restrictions, or room as a single if that fails.

She'll be fine, I know. It's just an extra layer of "scary" when they are this young and this vulnerable. Luckily, this is the same research group that she worked with all last summer, so her allergies are just a fact of life to them all at this point.

DD is elated about this-- she was afraid that the grant would preclude her working this summer b/c of her age.

This is great! I'm happy for your DD!

Last edited by Irena; 06/10/14 08:18 PM.
    A
    A
    Great news Irena and HK! Love to hear you've been successful in securing safe arrangements for your kiddos. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    from last year, but kind of interesting.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/body-...ut-cancer-his-peanut-allergy-f8C11566377

I don't think this sort of thing will ever become mainstream, but...if given the choice, would you consider it? To me, it seems like much too great of a risk, but then again, I (and my kids) don't have a life-threatening allergy. I was curious the perspective of someone actually dealing with this every day....would it be worth even considering?

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM