Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
    #194085 06/10/14 06:47 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    So I am stumped. Help me please wise parents! DS7 has a field trip next week. (He is partially homeschooled.) He doesn't want to go on the field trip. So, I didn't send in his permission slip. Three separate staff members have called DH and I to find out why DS isn't going and to tell us that he "must" go. The principal even pulled DS out of art to question him. She told him that he "must" go on the trip. What is this all about? The only answer I get is that field trip are important "educational events".

L
    L
    That sounds weird. Can you tell us where it is (without giving away too much information about yourself)?

I know that I was looking into a school that had a really big focus on field trips and parents had to be OK with the kids going on overnight trips. It was a big part of the school. But it sounds like this isn't something like that...

S
    OP Offline
    S
    It's a trip to a nature center. DS has already BTDT at this particular place. He is not opposed to field trips. He'd just rather have a full homeschool day that day.

I
    I
    That is weird. I'd be tempted to sign the slips and then call him out absent that day - kids get sick! I always offer my DS the option of opting out of school trips DS has never taken me up on it but if he did, I wouldn't even bother telling the school we choose not to go, I'd just call him out.

A
    A
    The school can't legally compel your child to attend. It's a bit creepy that they're paying your decision so much attention. Why are four adult professionals so personally invested in whether a 7yo attends a day trip to a nature center?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    22B Offline
    Maybe they've got 99 others going and they need 100 to get a group discount.

Maybe someone is keeping statistics on field trips and the school wants to boost their numbers.

Maybe they'll get a little more money if your kid goes on the trip (and is on the school clock).

Maybe if they make it optional for anyone, then they have to make it optional for everyone, and they don't want to do that for some reason.

I have absolutely no idea. It's very bizarre that they're so secretive about their real reasons.

M
    M
    there's a reason why it's called a PERMISSION slip ... no permission, no field trip. "must" is not an answer. If they don't have any better answer than that, why even bother with them.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I still can't figure any of this out. But now I am compelled to get to the bottom of it! This school often operates in a bizarre way. So, this weird situation is not so weird for them. The principal kind of freaked DS out though. She really grilled him and he didn't understand what the issue was.

I
    I
    Is it because he will still be at school that day but not on the trip so they are wondering what to do with him? or will you be keeping home? Maybe that's their concern?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Is it because he will still be at school that day but not on the trip so they are wondering what to do with him? or will you be keeping home? Maybe that's their concern?

He will be at home.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM