Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by medphysnerd
    Connecting Dots: Yes, they are saying that despite completing first grade in her current school she would have to go back to first grade because the way she was accelerated does not fall within the new state's law on acceleration. They said if I have an IQ test done and she scores over 130 she will be okay to move into second. I think it comes down to how they are funded. If she is not accelerated according to their laws, they do not receive funding for her.

Have you seen this in writing at the State's Dept of Ed website or elsewhere? It just sounds odd to me. When we looked into early entry for our ds, we found out that in our state there is a hard and fast barrier to early entry acceleration but that once a student has completed first grade that age-requirement is eliminated. I can't recall if this is a state law here or a school district policy but it was put in place because of the difference in timing of kindergarten cut-offs in different states. Our cutoff is in early fall, but some states don't put the 5 year old cutoff effective for kindy until December or January 1 - so if the district was carrying over the no-acceleration policy, there would be quite a few families every single year caught in a big loophole of having to send their child to first grade for the second time.

Sooo... one thing you might think of doing is calling in to the school district that you are looking at anonymously and tell them you are transferring in with an incoming second grader who's birthdate is one month past the kindy-entry date in the school district and ask them if she needs to provide any extra paperwork for entering 2nd grade in the fall.

Another thought - it's so danged easy to register for school here. Have you thought of just showing up at registration and registering her, taking along a copy of her report cards from the previous school and telling the folks at registration she's a second grader? I don't think any of the volunteers at our schools' registration would be on the ball enough to double check an incoming 2nd-graders birthdate - seriously. They are all over making sure you have immunization forms and fees, but that's about it. Then once she's registered and in class... fight the battle if it's in question. Truthfully, I wouldn't do this, I'd try to take care of it up front, but in reality I'm not sure it wouldn't be completely do-able, at least in our area.

Best wishes,

polarbear

I am going to look into it further. I think it seems crazy too. I would like to try just showing up, but it is such a rural community they will know it is us. There are only 10 kids in the entire first grade, and that is for the the entire county.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would second calling the state DOE and asking for transfer policies between districts, based on differences in cut-off dates. Generally speaking, if the district mandates an assessment as a criterion for eligibility to a program, they have to provide it. They don't have to pay for it if they have a qualified person and you choose to have it done elsewhere.

Oh, and in most states that I know of, if you have completed first grade, there are no more minimum age requirements for promotion. On the other hand, in some districts, promotion is the decision of the school alone.

And the interstate compact for military families is referenced in a number of state DOE websites about age of entry. I just checked a semi-random sampling.

Last edited by aeh; 06/04/14 07:37 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I was able to talk to the state's point of contact for the compact. I was told that my daughter is eligible under it, and will be allowed to move to second grade regardless of a formal plan or testing. I wasn't positive previously due to the wording of the compact.

She is going to call the superintendent of the district and let them know. She told me that she understood why they told me what they did. It would be a funding issue if one of those two items is not in place, and my daughter didn't fall under the compact.

I think I will still see if my DD's current school will write up a plan just so I have that in my back pocket.

Thank you again everyone!!

C
    C
    That's great news!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM