Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Tough call. I feel the urge to send, as school is about to close (last three weeks here). It might be too late to fix it later.

I wonder, if they are planning to ask for an exit, when should I hear? I mean, there are only three weeks left and I will be given some time for appeal and it should still leave me some time to figure out school options for next year. Arghh...

P
    P
    You already have a meeting appointment, right? If not, go ahead and send the email and ask for the meeting. If you have a meeting scheduled already, there is probably no need to send the email - save your questions for the meeting and ask then. You may also get a sense at the meeting that you don't need to ask everything once you've heard the explanation - or you may have more questions!

In any event, (jmo), I think I'd go through with the meeting now - the questions you have about the grade/mark relate to this year, not next year. If the school feels there are issues with your dd's performance in class, you can ask how you can help your dd work on them over the summer if it feels like something worth doing.

If they are considering asking her to exit the program, my gut feeling is they would have already notified you this close to the end of the school year. If it is the case, and they don't notify yet, you may at least get a sense of what's up at the meeting.

Any chance to talk things over in person is usually a good idea - I don't see any reason to postpone the meeting. The email, though, might not be necessary if the meeting is already scheduled. There's always the possibility with emails that it will be misinterpreted or intent won't be understood.

Best wishes,

polarbear

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Yes, meeting is already scheduled with principal on Friday. It will be hard to wait. Thanks for best wishes :-))

Just received DDs latest STAR results from the teacher. Math is 99 percentile and reading score is 550 (matches to 5.2 grade level). I guess with these latest results, it will be hard to justify any exit for DD8 (2nd grader). Phewww :-S

B
    B
    What kind of rules to they have for enrollment in the gifted program? Before you go talk with them you might arm yourself with rules. My son's school tried to drop him out of the honors program at 7th grade, but in our district once tested into the gifted programs you are eligible regardless of grades through 8th grade. Parents can choose to drop them down but the school can't.

Sounds like a school or teacher that doesn't really understand gifted students. Good Luck.

When dealing with teachers, I usually start with the innocent questions first and try not to get on the defense until I have at least heard their side of it. Sometimes there is more going on that I haven't been aware of.

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I unfortunately can not locate any rules of some sort. In the web site, it vaguely says that a teacher can initiate an exit. It doesn't say any grade requirements of any sort and I am scared to ask :-S It's our first year in the gifted program (it starts in 2nd grade here in WA), so we have a lot to learn.

Another thing is that it's our teacher's first year teaching to the gifted kids, so I am sure she has a lot to learn as well...

Will update the thread after our meeting.

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    ok, we have decided to send email to the teacher about grades before the meeting to see what she says.

Long story short, there has been a sort of a mistake in the district grading system. Each of those grades will be fixed right away and we have received an apology from the teacher.

Now the problem being solved and DD8's great results in STAR, we might even cancel the meeting with principal.

P
    P
    I was going to say there is the incompetence option. Last year ds7 was rated against the standards a year ahead of where he was. He still cleared them but it didn't increase my faith in the teacher.

B
    B
    Good to know this was just a clerical error. It never hurts to check the obvious.

L
    Leyla Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Bluemagic - wish the clerical error was for the benefit of DD8 ;-) The funny thing is that the teacher didn't have any tools to fix the grades. She didn't have anything written of any sort. She asked me to scan and send it to her so she can fix according to my copy. If there was a district wise issue (which wasn't announced), I wonder how many mistakes went unnoticed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM