Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Heh.

We spent the July 4th Holiday visiting DW's relatives.

Left DS' (5m3w) toys at home.

We got home last night and when I took him into the living room. He immediately saw his Intellitainer and smiled, started wiggling, and let out a scream. ( Where do kids LEARN to shriek?!?!?)

I put him in it and he went to town, spinning around and around. He banged all his buttons, rolled the rollers, and then played with the hanging doo-dads with a big smile on his face. For over 20 minutes!!

We have never seen him so active with that thing.

laugh I can well imagine it! I remember our kids in the Exersaucer.

Austin-

It's neat that your son remembers the toy and was delighted to see it again. So much for the idea that babies have no memories!

Oh wow - under 6 months! How sweet!

My son loved to be upright at that age. Are 'jolly jumpers' still 'legal?' He used to be able to jump in time to us singing.

Ours was sort of like theses -
    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx...VADID=19153472012&OVKWID=59187093512

but they hung from the molding over a doorway.

BTW - if you start making notes of the songs you sing now, you can get a good laught seeing how many years later your kid will still be able to sing it. File this under 'Stupid Gifted Kid tricks' I guess. Basically it's time for a news blackout, as they often store everything in memory, and use it against you later.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Austin-

It's neat that your son remembers the toy and was delighted to see it again. So much for the idea that babies have no memories!

Uhuh. I wonder who sells that snake oil?

At 2 weeks he knew what a bottle was and could distinguish it from other cylindrical objects.

At 3mo1w he had a CIO period in my FIL's car when MIL was driving in heavy traffic on the way to their house. To this day we cannot take him near that car. He goes into full spasms and screams bloody murder. For weeks afterwards, he could not look at MIL and not burst into tears. He STILL cannot be at their house without DW or me in his sight or he comes unglued.

He is keeping a grudge.

My FIL is now looking for a new car.

How's that for memories?

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Oh wow - under 6 months! How sweet!

My son loved to be upright at that age. Are 'jolly jumpers' still 'legal?' He used to be able to jump in time to us singing.

Ours was sort of like theses -
    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx...VADID=19153472012&OVKWID=59187093512

but they hung from the molding over a doorway.

BTW - if you start making notes of the songs you sing now, you can get a good laught seeing how many years later your kid will still be able to sing it. File this under 'Stupid Gifted Kid tricks' I guess. Basically it's time for a news blackout, as they often store everything in memory, and use it against you later.

Smiles,
    Grinity

I'll have to see if my DW wants to get one of those things!!!

At 3m0w we took him to Nordstroms and he was fascinated by the Piano player. He was wiggling to the music. Later, DW was 50 feet away in a group of women and he saw her and made his "wAAaah" noise for her. My wife sings to him all the time now - if you can imagine Belinda Carlisle belting out "boogie nights" with "wiggie" replacing "boogie".

I've got a picture on my desk of him at 5m0w standing by himself in the back seat of my wife's car facing the camera but with his eyes tracking something outside.

He hates to sit or to lay down. He refuses to be in his bouncy recliner and either wants to stand or be in his boppy seat.

In addition to the toy incident, his babysitter said that in just the three days she did not see him over the weekend he is totally different - he is looking at books, trying to walk, grabbing stuff, and being very vocal. She has done this for 30 years for some bright kids, but all she can say is she has seen nothing like it.

We has not slept than 11 hours in a day since he was 2 weeks old. Its becoming a real challenge to keep him occupied - he has to have someone playing with him now. He will not watch a Handy Manny show if he has seen it more than twice. He sits and lets me read the animal books to him. He looks at what I point at. He is a total flirt - women, mirrors, and cameras. He loves to look at other kids and seems to really enjoy smiling and resonating with kids 18mos-2 years.

My DW remarked last night that we were initially worried about her making it past 7 mos during her pregnancy with him and when he was born 5 weeks early, those extra few days after 7 mos were sweet victories - "But had he been born at term, he likely would have smiled and flirted with the nurse!!!"

Our DS loved his bouncy recliner. When he was about 2 months old, he figured out how to kick his foot rhythmically to make the seat bounce.

Austin-

Your son sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing! My youngest is three and the last baby for us. We're still waiting for the first time she'll sleep more than four hours at a stretch...

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    Austin-

Your son sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing! My youngest is three and the last baby for us. We're still waiting for the first time she'll sleep more than four hours at a stretch...

eek

AAAAHAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs