Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #191840 05/20/14 03:35 PM
    M
    mykids Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    So we are having an interesting debate in our district that I am curious to hear what other schools (private or public) are doing.
    1. In what grade do you start differentiated math classes?
    2. Are these classes conducted through the regular class or through the G/T program?
    3. Finally, in what grade is pre-alegbra the "norm" for the top performing section?

Thanks for your help.

B
    B
    Seattle Public starts walk to math inconsistently but in some schools its as early as K. If you qualify for Spectrum you then get 1 year accelerated math either through a walk-to or in classroom. If you qualify for APP you get 2 year acceleration in classroom. You can then qualify for Algebra in 6th grade on the APP path.

Z
    Z
    Do you mean clustered or differentiated?

To me differentiated is an individual focused thing.

Based on my DS, I'd say pre-algebra in first grade. Students in his GT class get instruction or material at their level. The talent coordinator did math pullouts in K, where ds was given stuff at his challenge level.

Now clustered, I would be looking at both style and ability. Maybe the high end group has a curriculum centered around 1.5 years growth per year, but further splits between the kids who gobble up big concepts and those who are more tactical in their learning approach. The big concept group would get pre-algebra exposure early like late first to incite their imagination and goal seeking learning. The 1.5 pace puts mainstream pre-algebra into 4th grade and of course has less spiraling and repitition.

N
    N
    Wow, Pre-Algebra in 1st for advanced students and in 4th for regular? Your school is way ahead of ours. My kid took Pre-Algebra in 6th.

F
    F
    Our school district starts tracking for math in 3rd grade. The kids in this track complete 3rd, 4th and 5th grade math by the end of 4th grade. They have what seems like a 2 year pre algebra program with algebra in 7th and geometry in 8th. Kids that are in our magnet program have algebra in 6th grade from my understanding.

P
    P
    Well until last year there was walk to maths for years 3 and 4, the first class my son was in had maths groups because kids have vastly different entry skills. but now there is no differentiation as far as I can tell and we don't have GT here.

J
    J
    If you test into the gifted program, you do the 5th grade math book in 4th grade. Then ultimately you take Algebra I in 7th grade. So they do 4th and 5th grade math in 4th grade, 6th grade in 5th grade, and 7th grade in 6th grade. Otherwise, no acceleration or differentiation!

B
    B
    In our district most kids start being differentiated in 7th grade. At the start of Junior High.

The only exception is the GT class my son was in 4-6th grade worked one grade "up" in math starting in 4th. And in 6th the entire class were taking pre-algebra. This was the only class in the district doing this. The other GT classes and GATE students in the normal classes just got enrichment in math from 4-6th grade.

At the end of 6th every student in the district takes a placement test to see if they are ready for pre-algebra. If they pass the pre-algebra test, they are offered a chance to take the algebra readiness test. Students take one of 3 math classes in 7th, Honors Algebra, Pre-Algebra, and "7th grade" math depending on test scores. In the district there are one or two students every year or so that take Algebra in 5th or 6th grade. I am not sure how they petition to take this, but I have known a few of these students. One was in my son's class as he is taking Calculus as a freshman in H.S.

The largest percentage of kids take Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra in 8th grade. (60%) About 15% of my son's 7th grade class took Algebra in 7th grade and Geometry in 8th grade. If they weren't enrolled in my son's class they were never really enrolled in Pre-Algebra.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Wow, Pre-Algebra in 1st for advanced students and in 4th for regular? Your school is way ahead of ours. My kid took Pre-Algebra in 6th.

I was designing how I would do it, but my son's school uses individual differentiation.

N
    N
    Zen, sorry for the snide comment, but this means Algebra in 2nd, with Calc in 6th for your advanced students. Regular students would have Calc in 9th. I have seen Pre-Algebra type problems in 2nd or 3rd, but it isn't a full Pre-Algebra course.

Our district starts differentiated classes in 5th. Advanced kids skip 5th grade math and do 6th grade material in 5th. More testing in 5th leads to Pre-Algebra in 6th for accelerated students, with Algebra in 7th. Advanced students take Algebra in 8th, regular students take it in 9th (not many of these).

Math and science are not part of GT in our district.

Pre-Algebra in 6th the norm for top students, though there are always a few that take it in 5th.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM